Power Points?

wave316

You should check out the 3A bracket in Tennessee, You have East Ridge (Chattanooga) 10-0, then Elizabethton 9-1, Alcoa 9-1, CAK 9-1, CPA 9-1 it is a killer gauntlet. Alcoa lost a close game to 6A #1 Maryville, Elizabethton's only loss 28-21 to 6A #6 Science Hill, CAK's only loss is to 4A perennial power Fulton, and CPA lost by 4 to Ensworth who was the highest rated team in TN 3 of the last 4 years.

Alcoa is most likely the favorite, but that is a nasty bracket

I was surprised Alcoa didnt exactly throttle Unicoi as I would have expected last night.

I don't get why travel is such an issue to some of you. Back in the 60's, Richlands and Grundy had home and home series with teams such as Patrick Henry Roanoke, E.C. Glass and Harrisonburg, and I guarantee that those trips weren't on a charter bus. 

Maybe we stop making excuses for the younger generation and tell them to "nut up or shut up."

read the posts...that's how PV got brought into this whole discussion. The discussion was about TW's 1992 season..and they beat PV TN.

super confused, I'll clarify

Yes we played powell valley tn what is now cumberland gap powell valley + forge ridge, 2nd closest school to tw,

J frank white academy tn 17 miles

Cumberland gap hs tn. 20 miles

Middlesboro ky. 21 miles

Lee high. 23 miles

Bell county hs. Ky 26 miles

Claiborne hs tn. 28 miles

Hancock hs. Tn. 29 miles

Rye cove. 44 miles

Powell valley va 49 miles

So yea I would play cumberland gap,

Now to my knowledge powell valley bsg, has never faced tw in football.

I stand correct they did in 07 and 08, and we dropped cghs for them. Granted the gap and pv beat us by about the same amount.

I don't get why travel is such an issue to some of you. Back in the 60's, Richlands and Grundy had home and home series with teams such as Patrick Henry Roanoke, E.C. Glass and Harrisonburg, and I guarantee that those trips weren't on a charter bus. 

Maybe we stop making excuses for the younger generation and tell them to "nut up or shut up."

I remember Lee going to Pulaski County in '98 for regular season game and most people I remember liked the trip and PC fans were interested in a return trip to Lee (that never came about).  Region IV game trips to Ringgold, Ridgeway, etc. were some killer trips just for Regional games.

I remember Lee going to Pulaski County in '98 for regular season game and most people I remember liked the trip and PC fans were interested in a return trip to Lee (that never came about).  Region IV game trips to Ringgold, Ridgeway, etc. were some killer trips just for Regional games.

Yeah, Region IV used to have some long road trips. Anywhere in the Piedmont to Grundy, Lee, and Richlands wasn't a joke.  

As someone who played in the Piedmont District, (Drewry Mason), I thought the trip from RIdgeway to Ringgold (Dan River) was a killer road trip!!   :)    It must have taken 50 minutes by bus each way.....the way we viewed things as teenagers.

Now as an AHS parent, I'd give anything for that long trip of 50 minutes....especially for 3A opponents.  It's all a matter of perspective :)

EHC, I'm getting to like you more and more. Lived close to 26 years in Horsepasture, my late wife was a GW Carver graduate and both sons graduated from Magna Vista. Those long trips to Ringgold, Gretna, and Chatham in the old PD don't seem so long compared to the trips some of these schools make today. Now everybody here complains about the trip to Halifax. And Halifax to Stuart is not a short trip either. Did you play bball in high school? Must have known the legend Tim Martin.

EHC, I'm getting to like you more and more. Lived close to 26 years in Horsepasture, my late wife was a GW Carver graduate and both sons graduated from Magna Vista. Those long trips to Ringgold, Gretna, and Chatham in the old PD don't seem so long compared to the trips some of these schools make today. Now everybody here complains about the trip to Halifax. And Halifax to Stuart is not a short trip either. Did you play bball in high school? Must have known the legend Tim Martin.

pdfan,

Played baseball at DMHS and basketball through 10th grade year.  Tim Martin was 1 year behind me but we had several other Carver kids who were at DM.  Eric Hairston, Lee McDaniel, Chris Dalton and others went to DM while living in the Horsepasture area.  Does that mean I am part of the problem????? Transfers from one school to another....some for the purpose of sports :) :)    And yes, I have thrown some stones on that issue. LOL.........at least we didn't poach from F-C.

I went to Martinsville City schools through my 8th grade year until we moved to Ridgeway.  One other thing pdfan......I was a huge Jimmy Hensley fan....his niece, also Horsepasture resident, graduated HS with me.  I guess the issue of transfers isn't new is it??  

Went to church with them for years and yeah you were part of the problem. LOL All that bunch up there was suppose to go to Carver but all of them went to DM for athletic reasons, so yeah transfers went on all the time down here. Nobody really thought that much of it either, just kind of accepted it. Must of seen you play baseball in hs as I was friends of Lee and David Macs family and was next door neighbors of Chris Dalton's family, sure is a small world. Good luck to the Falcons this week, Rustburg has some athletes but with the long trip ahead of them and with the passing attack of AHS I think the falcons pull it out. Just hope we can get MV to refocus on Heritage-Lynchburg this week after that tough loss to GW-Danville last week 28-21. Outgained them 442-156 on offense but turnovers and penalties(td or 2 called back)killed us

Went to church with them for years and yeah you were part of the problem. LOL All that bunch up there was suppose to go to Carver but all of them went to DM for athletic reasons, so yeah transfers went on all the time down here. Nobody really thought that much of it either, just kind of accepted it. Must of seen you play baseball in hs as I was friends of Lee and David Macs family and was next door neighbors of Chris Dalton's family, sure is a small world. Good luck to the Falcons this week, Rustburg has some athletes but with the long trip ahead of them and with the passing attack of AHS I think the falcons pull it out. Just hope we can get MV to refocus on Heritage-Lynchburg this week after that tough loss to GW-Danville last week 28-21. Outgained them 442-156 on offense but turnovers and penalties(td or 2 called back)killed us

pdfan, I am going to use our past experiences to relate it to a somewhat similar, though not exactly the same, situation in  SWVA football.  When Drewry Mason, F-C, Carver and Chatham dropped to 1A to form The Foothills District, we had a very unusual situation. Drewry Mason and GW Carver had the 2 best Group A basketball teams in the state for at least 3 years in a row.  There is NO DOUBT in my mind that Carver would have won state basketball titles IF NOT for being in the same district and region as DM.  However, Carver was never able to win a regional title and didn't advance to the state tournament. Only the 4 region winners made it to state tournament.....we now have 8 teams.

Currently, Union and Richlands are two of the best 2A football teams in the state.  I am in favor of cross bracketing in the final 4 to potentially allow a championship game from the same side of the state.  I've always believed that you want the best teams in the championship game, even if they are both from the West or East.   

What I don't know is this.....when we go to a regional format in the next cycle (at least I think that's what is being done), does anyone know the format that will be used once we have 4 teams remaining?   Will there be a cross bracketing of sorts??  Just curious.