Yearly Football Records

I type in richlands va hs football vs providence, Indiana hs 1995. No results. Im just interest and how did they find each other for ball game when virginia and indiana is so far away.

That's it, they play mccreamy co, the same ky team tw plays.

I am interested if any swva school has beat bell county before. Lee hasn't (in their hayday) PV hasnt, richlands hasn't, I doubt anyone has

That's it, they play mccreamy co, the same ky team tw plays.

I am interested if any swva school has beat bell county before. Lee hasn't (in their hayday) PV hasnt, richlands hasn't, I doubt anyone has

I thought Richlands played and beat Bell County one year. I could be wrong about the result, but I seem to remember Keenan Bowman matching up very well with a touted recruit named Massie from Bell Co. It was near the year they played Providence.

Richlands had some trouble in the mid-90's picking up a 10th game for a few years.

I remember the likes of Bell Co. Kentucky, Providence IN, Matewan, WV, and Pikeview making trips to Ernie Hicks between 1994 and 1998.

I was a little surprised to see Chilhowie has only played Richlands twice in all these years, especially since R.B. Worthy in Saltville played Richlands 31 times. 

Saltville was once in the SWD back in the days the SWD resembled the SEC of today. 

If I remember correctly this game was not in the Bluefield or Bristol papers. IDKW. I found it in the Richlands paper in the old books that are kept at the Richlands newspaper offices.

I remember it being in the BDT.  It was a Sunday edition because the game was played on a Saturday in order to accommodate Providence's travel.

Richlands had some trouble in the mid-90's picking up a 10th game for a few years.

I remember the likes of Bell Co. Kentucky, Providence IN, Matewan, WV, and Pikeview making trips to Ernie Hicks between 1994 and 1998.

That's right. I remember watching films preparing for Matewan, and seeing the tigers (?) running out of a tent and plowing over some cheerleaders to Ozzy Osborne. Funniest film session I have ever seen.

Better than the lpd in the 90s? Lol

If not even at least a rung below. No doubt the LPD of the 80's and 90's was a blood bath but it's hard to argue that a 10 or 11 team district with sometimes only 1 team coming out and playing in the post-season caused for some great competition. 

If not even at least a rung below. No doubt the LPD of the 80's and 90's was a blood bath but it's hard to argue that a 10 or 11 team district with sometimes only 1 team coming out and playing in the post-season caused for some great competition.

SWD as competitive among one another or adding post season hardware to the trophy chest.

If I remember correctly this game was not in the Bluefield or Bristol papers. IDKW. I found it in the Richlands paper in the old books that are kept at the Richlands newspaper offices.

I can go to the Bristol Library and check their BHC microfilm for this game

The SWD of 1956 to 1970 was effectively participating in the highest level (Division 1) of high school competition in Virginia.  Its champions typically faced off against those of the Western District (which contained many members of the subsequent AAA Roanoke Valley District) for the right to square off against schools from the larger population centers such as NoVa and Tidewater.  Very rare for SWD teams to experience a lot of postseason success in any sport during that era -- although there were some notable exceptions.

No disrespect to the LPD (or any other league operating in the region prior to the 1970 reclassification), but there really isn't much basis for comparison with the SWD in this specific time frame.  Division 1 was just a clearly different level of play.

I was a little surprised to see Chilhowie has only played Richlands twice in all these years, especially since R.B. Worthy in Saltville played Richlands 31 times. 

Extrapolating a bit from the Richlands records, there are a few scheduling dynamics that kind of jump out.

1.  Graham, Grundy, Richlands, and Tazewell have played each other on a pretty consistent and continuous basis since the advent of high school football in the 1920s.  The recent withdrawal of the Golden Wave from the SWD was a truly noteworthy and historical event.

2.  In the 1930's there appears to be a lot of scheduling reciprocity between the Tazewell County schools and those of Wise County.  Appalachia, Big Stone Gap, Coeburn, and Wise were frequent opponents until about 1950.  Virginia High began showing up consistently on the schedule in the late 1930's as well.  My impression is that the larger schools generally played one another -- don't know if that was due to preference or necessity.

3.  The lineup of the original SWD had pretty much taken shape by 1950, with Marion and Saltville appearing as regular opponents.  William King (the effective direct ancestor of Abingdon High School) was also a regular opponent during this time.  Given that and simple geography, I've often wondered why they weren't included in the SWD -- although I suspect it was some combination of enrollment figures and/or local policy.

All this is to say that the records indicate that Richlands has played a really diverse number and range of opponents (by my count, 86 different schools), but the Blues have maintained some fairly longstanding relationships with "traditional" rivals over the years.  This has probably served to preclude (or at least suppress) the number of match ups against schools like Chilhowie or Clintwood.

Pure speculation on my part, mind you.