Abingdon changing Districts

Johnnie B

How much tougher can that district get? Richlands and Va. High are getting a cake walk. This is a joke if true, the league already has three of the top girl's basketball programs in the state, two of the top football programs, two of the top volleyball programs, a basketball team that has advanced to regional play every year for as long as I can remember, a solid track program, and a consolidated school that has the richest baseball program in the state.

That's absurd, especially if they go back to regional play in all sports, meaning only two teams would advance in everything but football (it'd be hard to get more than two in football).

Yes, but Abingdon would still be 3A.  Maybe I'm wrong, and goodness knows there have been plenty of times, but wouldn't a move to regional play still incorporate teams within the same classifications?  I know the football formulas have a district play component in it and that might affect seeding.

My response is more question than statement.  

Personally I think Lebanon is a good fit(but they are a good fit in 4 different districts) and so is Abingdon. There are some old Highlands rivalries built in and I like the idea of Ridgeview getting to play a 3A school every season in football. The Mountain is a strong district top to bottom in just about every sport, this would only make it stronger. The SW would become a cakewalk for Richlands in Football

If this happens, who comes to the SWD? Cause that would leave it with Richlands, Tazewell, and VA High. A three team district??

Graham? Which leaves seven non-league games and gives Richlands the ability to pad points by playing high level teams out of district. The schools in the mountain district should raise a major stink over this. There wouldn't be a single sport the SWD would be better in.

Graham, Tazewell, Richlands, Va High, Marion, Grayson County are SWD. Everyone else go to form Highlands. What is strange is Va.High Passes by three schools (John Battle, Abingdon,Lebanon) on the way to their district games! Neither of those three wanted to come to SWD.

Hopefully the principles at Abingdon and Lebanon had something to do with this. The elephant in room is Richlands Transfers in football and VAHigh Transfers in baseball. Those type of schools should stay together.

No excuses in our loss. Only one TD was scored by a kid who played there last year. Just a fact. Not judging

If this happens, who comes to the SWD? Cause that would leave it with Richlands, Tazewell, and VA High. A three team district??

Marion, Graham, Grayson, with possibility of Carroll returning as well. To begin in 2017/2018.

Hopefully the principles at Abingdon and Lebanon had something to do with this. The elephant in room is Richlands Transfers in football and VAHigh Transfers in baseball. Those type of schools should stay together.

No excuses in our loss. Only one TD was scored by a kid who played there last year. Just a fact. Not judging

Jesus Christ. Just get over it man.

If this is legit it may just be the beginning of greater overall change. If Carroll was to move back to the SW it would be best for Abingdon to stay in the SW, they need as much big school competition as they can get.

IF Carroll and Grayson move over to the SW then Marion needs to too imo.

This thread is gonna go in all sorts of directions lol

No worries. I hope we still play.

You saw how many Honaker fans were pulling for us though didn't you?

Just answer the question. How many TDs were scored by kids that were on the team last year??

Simple question. I do not know the answer.

One- Chase Collins. Atkinson joined the team late last year as a transfer.  Ball is playing his first year of varsity football and is a Richlands original.  He also scored one Friday night.

If the game Friday would have cost us a home playoff game I would be pissed. It does not look like it did.

You did read the BHC article on Saturday didn't you?

Your RB "visited" AHS before deciding on RHS. No one here knew about that. I am guessing there was a much warmer reception on his Richlands visit. We are content to win, lose, or draw with our own kids. Real simple for you Ryan

Grayson would be a tough sell to a district with larger school sizes.  Grayson has steadily declined in less than a decade, losing right around 200 students.  If Galax continues with it's plans to build a new school and realign the boundary to encompass all of 24333 instead of the slightly smaller Galax city limits, Galax would certainly have a larger enrollment that Grayson.  

At this point though, it's all speculation.