Grayson Co. @ Richlands

old_school_blue

There is a common thread that connects these football programs.  Grayson Co. plays their games at Bill Strong field.  It is named for their former coach Bill Strong, who is the older brother of Richlands assistant coach Brad Strong.  I think Bill Strong had the nickname of "Bird Eye" if I am not mistaken.

There is a common thread that connects these football programs.  Grayson Co. plays their games at Bill Strong field.  It is named for their former coach Bill Strong, who is the older brother of Richlands assistant coach Brad Strong.  I think Bill Strong had the nickname of "Bird Eye" if I am not mistaken.

Didn't know that. Interesting. I also find it interesting that we are in the same conference but have never played in football. 

Really looking forward to this game.  I'm glad we had the week off for the boys to rest and heal,  but I sure missed going to a game and watching them,  of course I wouldn't have got to go to a game anyway since I was in Alabama.

It's going to be nice also seeing a team we haven't already played.  I know almost nothing about them.  

We should win this game,  but I am interested in seeing how the week off either helped or hurt us.  I would think it helped more than hurt by giving the boys some needed rest and allow them to get their legs back since they played 10 straight weeks,  but I know it can also hurt with their timing,  but knowing and watching coach Mance over the years,  he's good at getting the boys ready for a playoff run !

God I love playoff football !!!

Richland will not have a problem which is not uncommon in early round match-ups........the real mismatch is the community support offered by these opposing schools. Richlands has a awesome facility, weight training opportunities for kids and number of coaches in building and unreal community support.  They put a fine product out every year.  Sadly Grayson has none of these things and football is a mere afterthought ranking well below many other activities. Graysons stadium is virtually ready to fall down along with the light poles. Throw in the financial chaos, leadership issues and a rapidly declining student enrollment and  you have recipe for disaster for a system.

There is a reason why some schools are successful all the time.......its called committment.

Grayson has some decent kids and will compete Friday but this is a mismatch in many many ways.

Richland will not have a problem which is not uncommon in early round match-ups........the real mismatch is the community support offered by these opposing schools. Richlands has a awesome facility, weight training opportunities for kids and number of coaches in building and unreal community support.  They put a fine product out every year.  Sadly Grayson has none of these things and football is a mere afterthought ranking well below many other activities. Graysons stadium is virtually ready to fall down along with the light poles. Throw in the financial chaos, leadership issues and a rapidly declining student enrollment and  you have recipe for disaster for a system.

There is a reason why some schools are successful all the time.......its called committment.

Grayson has some decent kids and will compete Friday but this is a mismatch in many many ways.

The turmoil within that school system and county as a whole amazes me.  No less than 7 people charged with embezzlement within the past couple of years, teacher and administrative turnover to the likes of which I have never seen, and what has to be the worst facilities in SWVA. The field is a shambles and the home stands, poured concrete on a hillside, are to be condemned at seasons end from a reliable source.  Visible voids large enough to crawl through where the ground has washed away from the concrete.

The kids of Grayson County deserve better.

Lack of interest really shows, they have less than 30 players,  I believe.

Making the trip to watch the Blue's Friday from Yorktown Va. unfortunately its was 2006 the last time I was there to see a game. Looking for some advice

on Gate times where to park can you tail gate beast seats or any Information would be greatly appreciated. Really looking forward to come back home and watch the Blues. I do not know a lot about Grayson but looking at their Roster I only seen 29 players listed does not look like much depth. But any Info

would be appreciated. Go Big Blue

Making the trip to watch the Blue's Friday from Yorktown Va. unfortunately its was 2006 the last time I was there to see a game. Looking for some advice

on Gate times where to park can you tail gate beast seats or any Information would be greatly appreciated. Really looking forward to come back home and watch the Blues. I do not know a lot about Grayson but looking at their Roster I only seen 29 players listed does not look like much depth. But any Info

would be appreciated. Go Big Blue

Val

The gates open at 6:00pm. If you are sitting on the Richlands side you will need to get there at around 6:30 to get a decent seat. The stadium seats are all painted Blue and White. The white seats are reserved season ticket holder seats and they are the middle third of the stadium. The blue seat are on the sides and they are first come first serve...lol. Parking is ok but not the best. People usually use the parking across the street from the High School in the surrounding business"s parking lots. They are all good to allow this and wont say anything.

Safe travels and glad you get to come back and watch the Blues!

Calling the upset...

Richlands starters play a series into the 3rd quarter rather than being finished into the first half!

Thanks for the well wishes ! 

It's the playoffs so I am always a little nervous before we play regardless of who it is,  as has been stated many times,  "it's the playoffs,  anything and everything can happen "   but in reality,   we should win this game pretty easily,  but I just hope the players don't think the same thing as I, and most of our fans do.  I would like to see our guys come out and fire on all cylinders and put them away early and hopefully get our young guys some playoff experience,  but more than anything,  I want them to stay healthy !

I don't worry too much about our guys taking anybody lightly............Mance and staff will not let that happen !

Good luck and safe travels to all the teams and their fans !

Thanks for the well wishes !

It's the playoffs so I am always a little nervous before we play regardless of who it is, as has been stated many times, "it's the playoffs, anything and everything can happen " but in reality, we should win this game pretty easily, but I just hope the players don't think the same thing as I, and most of our fans do. I would like to see our guys come out and fire on all cylinders and put them away early and hopefully get our young guys some playoff experience, but more than anything, I want them to stay healthy !

I don't worry too much about our guys taking anybody lightly............Mance and staff will not let that happen !

Good luck and safe travels to all the teams and their fans !

I agree. What concerns me is they only allowed Glenvar 21 points. However, they didn't score any. Makes me wonder if they had some big injuries since.

I agree. What concerns me is they only allowed Glenvar 21 points. However, they didn't score any. Makes me wonder if they had some big injuries since.

They were also undefeated when they played Glenvar. They've had the steam taken out of them since then. They gave up a lot of points to Graham and Galax. Narrows also had Grayson beat, but then had some key injuries and then Grayson walked away with it after that

Major turnovers verse Galax and Graham contributed to scores.....Galax had 4 defense scores Friday..Glenvar game very competitive....ultimately couldnt run football which has been problem all year.....Grayson pretty young in most areas other than Senior QB

Major turnovers verse Galax and Graham contributed to scores.....Galax had 4 defense scores Friday..Glenvar game very competitive....ultimately couldnt run football which has been problem all year.....Grayson pretty young in most areas other than Senior QB

I was really surprised Bland beat Grayson. What happened in that game Dukey?

They were also undefeated when they played Glenvar. They've had the steam taken out of them since then. They gave up a lot of points to Graham and Galax. Narrows also had Grayson beat, but then had some key injuries and then Grayson walked away with it after that

Narrows had Grayson beat??? Not sure what you were watching or heard but not true. Not sure what "key injuries" you're talking about either. Grayson started a little slow but was never in doubt.

I hate that the wind is going to be a issue,  it will limit the long pass plays for the Blues tonight,  they will have to run the ball ( which they can when they want to )  and keep most of the passing game to the short stuff.  But Asbury and his gang of receivers are more than able to work the ball down field picking a D apart.  His arm is strong enough to still try a few long passes just to keep em honest !

Can't wait,  it'll soon be time to head to Ernie !