Graham @ Union

BigWinners

http://m.heraldcourier.com/sports/union-knocks-graham-out-sets-up-bout-with-defending-a/article_0546a62a-900d-11e5-9515-8778f93758cd.html?mode=jqm

This article describes Graham's "sportsmanship" trash talking as soon as Union stepped on the field right off the bus.

You'd think that fans of a 12-0 team, the most storied program in SWVA, that just defeated an upstart 6-6 team in a Round of 16 playoff game wouldn't whine so damned much about some jawing during the game. I'm positive it was only Graham, and was in no way fueled by Union as well, because that makes a lot of sense.

Union showed up and played big boy football, aside from RUTS at the end. Congrats, and good luck against the defending champs. We'll catch you all down the road in a few years, and perhaps the circumstances will be different.

You'd think that fans of a 12-0 team, the most storied program in SWVA, that just defeated an upstart 6-6 team in a Round of 16 playoff game wouldn't whine so damned much about some jawing during the game. I'm positive it was only Graham, and was in no way fueled by Union as well, because that makes a lot of sense.

Union showed up and played big boy football, aside from RUTS at the end. Congrats, and good luck against the defending champs. We'll catch you all down the road in a few years, and perhaps the circumstances will be different.

Think you're missing the point...that extra dagger at the end was probably, in all likelihood, a response to the jawing. If you choose to go that route, gotta be prepared to take your medicine if it comes down to it.

Cousin is a stud. Had he stayed in it could have been anybody's game, and it was evident to everyone around me. They definitely deflated when he went out. Graham had good line play.

The screen call before the half to Cousin was brilliant. Union was bringing the house and Palmer knew it. I thought both teams came ready to play and played well. Union has more depth and that could have made the difference even if Cousin stayed in. IDK.

I will agree that Union scored 1 trash TD, and Turner doesn't normally do that, so I'm sure it was on purpose for one reason or another. I don't get in to the sportsmanship side of things especially when my team wins. It is what it is. Looking forward to Glenvar.

A shining light in a dark world...

Even listening to WAXM (I will not listen to Kes Blackwell when given another option), the tactical moves and counters were evident. It was a well-schemed game from both sides. Union has the horses to compete for a state title, while Graham is still building to reclaim the status it once had.

Would have been interesting to see what would have happened had Cousin not been injured, but I think it would have turned out like the Abingdon game. Graham can score some points, but it cannot keep up in a shootout with a more talented team.

Best of luck next week against the defending champs. I think you match up better with Glenvar tham many do.

No one is whining. It wasn't just Union fans who noticed it either. It was more than jawing and more than just a bit. I know Union wasn't completely innocent.

Gate City people complain when they see it.

The sportsmanship from the Graham side was pretty uncalled for. If your team and/or fans act like that then you're going to get called out. Plain and simple.

Graham is definitely coming back. They have no reason to hang their heads over for the loss.

Think you're missing the point...that extra dagger at the end was probably, in all likelyhood, a response to the jawing. If you choose to go that route, gotta be prepared to take your medicine if it comes down to it.

I think we have a fundamental disagreement on the point. The score on a short field to make it 42-21 was the "medicine". At that point, all competitive phases of the game are over, and Union's boys would be fully justified to talk a little trash about doubling Graham up.

But on the next drive, especially when the other team's best player is injured, the classy move is to run clock, shake hands, and move on to Glenvar. That last TD was just excessive, and quite frankly a surprise, given Union's prior reputation for class. Perhaps it's from watching Glynn Carlock for too many years, who never ran up the score on anyone, even against Bluefield in 2001, when Graham could've put 100 on them.

I would be very interested to see a rematch of this game next year, when Graham will be a better team and Union will graduate a bunch of seniors.

#ShotsFired

#similarbutnotthesame

I don't think that Graham literally planted a flag in Union's field. And I don't recall Graham being up 30, but I may be mistaken, because I only remember being gobsmacked that Kes Blackwell was openly cheering for Tazewell players to score on a Graham broadcast.

I think we have a fundamental disagreement on the point. The score on a short field to make it 42-21 was the "medicine". At that point, all competitive phases of the game are over, and Union's boys would be fully justified to talk a little trash about doubling Graham up.

But on the next drive, especially when the other team's best player is injured, the classy move is to run clock, shake hands, and move on to Glenvar. That last TD was just excessive, and quite frankly a surprise, given Union's prior reputation for class. Perhaps it's from watching Glynn Carlock for too many years, who never ran up the score on anyone, even against Bluefield in 2001, when Graham could've put 100 on them.

I would be very interested to see a rematch of this game next year, when Graham will be a better team and Union will graduate a bunch of seniors.

It's all a matter of persepective I guess. IMO, if you are playing in game 12, you have no reason to expect anyone to take it easy on you...especially given tonight's circumstances. It is what it is, though..I wouldn't mind seeing Graham again next year, either. Union graduates a lot of players, but they have some good replacements to reload with as well. The drop off isn't nearly as far as some think.

Union graduates a lot of players, but they have some good replacements to reload with as well. The drop off isn't nearly as far as some think.

Truth!

A more than capable 2nd string QB, GOOD "2nd" string RB, all O and D lineman but 1, all state TE/WR, some secondary, and others returning next year.

http://m.heraldcourier.com/sports/union-knocks-graham-out-sets-up-bout-with-defending-a/article_0546a62a-900d-11e5-9515-8778f93758cd.html?mode=jqm

This article describes Graham's "sportsmanship" trash talking as soon as Union stepped on the field right off the bus.

Sportsmanship aside...I'm just glad to see a Graham team with some fire in their belly...been waiting for that for 10 years!!!

Drove up from Tennessee to see a ball game last night. Got there a few minutes late and sat on the Graham side since that was the closest set of stands. The two couples sitting directly behind me were very nice folks but in 40+ years of going to high school football games all over TN and SWVA I have never never seen a worse group of whiners in the stands. I was embarrassed to be sitting in the midst of all that and wondered to myself why all of those adults were teaching their kids to behave like that. Not as bad as the Greeneville vs Trezevant game a few years ago on the field but at one point I was worried it could get like that.

Graham was tough. Cousins is something special. But in reality, big plays helped Graham. With Cousins, I say Union still wins but maybe by a TD or two. Each Graham TD was quickly answered by Union. Union defense made some nice stops before Cousins left.

I'll say this: some pitiful sportsmanship on Graham's part from the beginning. These are kids who need to learn composure. I'm sure they aren't bad kids. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. But you have to learn how to act. That simply can't be allowed by the coaches or your parents. The same thing goes for some of the fans. Can't be yelling obscenities when a player is down. We showed respect when your man was down. I just hope this isn't typical of Graham. But it is time to build a bridge and move on.

About all the Graham faithful I see on here like UVAObserver and GMan are nothing but class.

Saw some Graham folks on our side. Plus some coaches who must have been watching from the press box. Seemed pretty respectful. Talked to one coach before the game who seemed nice. Asked what a G Man is.

Graham's band may have lost a lot of kids but still seemed pretty strong. Would have liked to have seen a field show. I always thought the G band was something special. As a band director myself (middle school and not at Union) I like to give credit to the band.

Let's move on to Glenvar. Good luck in your other sports, Graham.

You just don't take a road trip, start mouthing to the opponents fans before our team even shows up at the park, and then tell our spirit line fans we all need to sit down and shut up.

But congrats to graham, you all have nothing to hold your heads about.

#similarbutnotthesame

I don't think that Graham literally planted a flag in Union's field. And I don't recall Graham being up 30, but I may be mistaken, because I only remember being gobsmacked that Kes Blackwell was openly cheering for Tazewell players to score on a Graham broadcast.

I'm on your side here. I'm on Graham's side. But when you act like they have all year a big brother somewhere is going to show up and put you in your place.

I'm all for being confident and i don't think it hurts to talk a little trash here or there, but when it comes down to every other teams fans talking about how bad the sportsmanship was its embarrassing & hard to defend.

Palmers a new coach and I think he did an excellent job this year. He got Graham back to where the team and the community expect to win. Some of the team discipline and play calling (throwing to score with 2 mins at Tazewell, subbing in the JV but still throwing Hail Marys for scores) at times could've been better, but it's a learning process for everyone and I'm sure those things will be corrected over time.

No argument from me beast, Graham was pretty classless. How bad is #50 hurt?

Bad. His shoulder is in really bad shape. Dont know if he can play next week.

People didnt notice, but 17 did not start breaking those runs until 50 was injured and unable to play up to his standard. 

Congratulations to the Bears. It's sad that there are more posts on here about sportsmanship than the Bears getting the win last night.

I've always had great respect for that area of school's. My support will be for Union the rest of the season. Good luck.

Bad. His shoulder is in really bad shape. Dont know if he can play next week.

People didnt notice, but 17 did not start breaking those runs until 50 was injured and unable to play up to his standard.

I thought it was his hand, I knew he'd hurt his shoulder last week. Ol Jeb is tough, hopefully he can heal up through the week

I'm on your side here. I'm on Graham's side. But when you act like they have all year a big brother somewhere is going to show up and put you in your place.

I'm all for being confident and i don't think it hurts to talk a little trash here or there, but when it comes down to every other teams fans talking about how bad the sportsmanship was its embarrassing & hard to defend.

Palmers a new coach and I think he did an excellent job this year. He got Graham back to where the team and the community expect to win. Some of the team discipline and play calling (throwing to score with 2 mins at Tazewell, subbing in the JV but still throwing Hail Marys for scores) at times could've been better, but it's a learning process for everyone and I'm sure those things will be corrected over time.

Graham was on the other end of that against Tazewell last year.

No disrespect to Graham FANS but the players were horrible with all the talking. That's all I'm saying about it. The Bears played well but when stidham went out our D line struggled. We'll have to tighten that up for next week. Glad to have the champs coming to town!