Rebels @ Tide

redtiger

I have a tremendous amount of respect for Galax, but Hurley matches well with power run offenses. The outside and second level speed is what Hurley is not matched up with well. I think the issue will come late in second half if depth starts to play a factor. If Galax is able to eat up yards and time during the first half then fatigue will be the factor late in second half. If Hurley can control time (which was their goal with Parry McCluer) then I think it will put Hurley in a much greater position late in the game. I know gamers aren't won/lost in one or two quarters, but with 25 players one or two quarters will go a long way.

Honestly wishing everyone from Hurley the best of luck and safe travels for those heading this way tomorrow night.  

If anyone is looking for dining recommendations. The Smokehouse on Main Street in Galax would be my absolute #1 choice, without question!  And, its only a few hundred yards from the high school.  Followed by Creek Bottom Brews on Meadow Street, RJ's Pizza and Subs on Route 58 below Wal-Mart and Bogeys on Glendale Road.

All referees, regardless of level, will make mistakes.  I highly doubt any go into a game with a rooting interest in outcome.  

Ask any coach in SWVA and they will all wish for consistency with the full knowledge and understanding that mistakes will happen.  If officiating is consistent, players and coaches will adjust quickly and it will never become an issue.  Fairweather friends in the stands who have never officiated anything with the exception of from the comfort and safety of the couch will always blame.  Referees are, and always have been, the easy target of that blame.  

That really makes no sense at all. Just say we take 2 evenly matched teams and the Ref's are one sided, for example Hurley, Honaker you probably get a blow out.

Its has been a long time since Hurley and Honaker have been evenly matched. And if you want to go back at least 4 years I bet you 97% of the games Honaker has played in they are the least penalized team in that game they just don't hurt there selves so don't pull that crap.

Saw this Maroon Tide team play once this year, they were a one man show in the game against Graham. Graham's defensive scheme was very unsound ! They seemed to be playing 1980 sandlot box ends and Galax ran power with three different blocking schemes. Needless to say the Harris kid from Galax rushed for over 400 yds. Must be something about that field at Mitchell Stadium or the running backs from Galax or maybe just some really bad defensive schematics by Graham. I think Hurley will struggle to stop them as well from what I've heard and read about the Rebels. Put everybody in the box and make Galax throw the football, but you must cover the FB in the flats, the Spurlin kid, good athlete.

Hurley had 10 penalties, Parrry McCluer had 2. I was at the game and from my honest opinion Hurley got less penalties than they should've. Most penalties were holding calls. Hurley would run a read option with Brady going off guard or off tackle then bounce it out and Hurley's tackles held. Those penalties were warranted. The only true questionable penalty Hurley had was the targeting call on defense, that one was iffy in my eyes but nothing intentional on the refs part. I thought the refereeing crew did a phenomenal job, especially when the kid from PM was showing signs of a concussion and they called a referee timeout and told the PM coaching staff. The other thing, Hurley ran 75 plays on offense, Parry McCluer ran 35 so obviously there should've been a disparity in penalties.

Mapper is 100 percent correct I'd take that officiating crew any day. We got away with a couple holding calls but there's always going to be the fact of human error that's part of the game sometimes it goes your way other times it doesn't.

I’ll be honest with you here…I was kinda hoping for a road game Friday.

cliff.jpg

Facebook/HurleyRebels

Smiley Ratliff Field –– The Cliff.

It may not be much in the way of a bucket list, but there are just a few SWVA football landmarks I’d like to check off the list before I check out of here myself. Our end of the state is dotted with iconic high school stadiums, and slowly but surely they are being crossed off the list, either by school consolidation that is rendering those facilities obsolete (sorry I missed ya, Ralph Cummins Stadium, Riggs Stadium) or by actually covering a game there (howdy, Sandlick!).

Should Galax win Friday I’ll most likely get to scratch another destination off that list next week – J.I. Burton’s Lawson-Fitchko Stadium, a place where I’m proud to say I probably soiled a diaper or two while my dad coached there in the late 60s.

Bullitt Park in Big Stone Gap, Legion Field in Gate City and that new joint up at Ridgeview (iconic – not yet; magnificent – yes) are all on the list.

As is Smiley Ratliff Field in Hurley. Arguably the most iconic of them all, it’s better known as The Cliff.

In need of 6,360 square yards of flat land suitable for the dimensions of a football field, Hurley folk blasted out a chunk of mountainside to meet its needs, leaving two vertical rock walls that meet at a tidy 90-degree angle, a great Gray Monster that hugs one end zone and half of the far sideline. As a resident of the town told USA Today Sports in a feature story back in August, “We’re miners here. We know how to do that.â€

As the VHSL ratings began to take shape, Galax was on the lower end of the scale and Hurley up near the top half. Maybe this year, I thought. But the Maroon Tide began overtaking gobs of teams over the final three weeks to finally settle in at No. 3.

Playoff season ultimately ends up with a pretty big disappointment for most of the teams involved.  So, as many of those teams will be saying Friday night – (sigh) maybe next year.

A must-read

The focus of that aforementioned USA Today story was not The Cliff but rather the school’s mascot and logo. The Hurley Rebels will most likely charge onto the field Friday behind a player carrying a Confederate battle flag (to be accurate, it’s the battle flag of the Army of Tennessee), and they will wear the emblem on their helmets. The well-written USA Todaystory was published two months after the horrific church massacre in Charleston, S.C., and for obvious reasons. I can’t speak for the citizenry of Hurley, but from an outsider’s perspective, the author provided fair, objective and positive insight into  the school, the Rebel football team and its supporters.

You’re going to feel what you’re going to feel. But before passing judgement, I strongly urge you read the article. It’s an extremely good read, whether you have an opinion on the issue or not. You can find it here ... http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2015/08/20/confederate-flag-hurley-... ... and I have it linked on my Twitter account, @GazetteSports24.

Playoff stuff

We’re down to ‘only’ 96 teams now, six classifications, two regions, with eight teams still alive in each region, as we dwindle down to championship Saturday and its six state title games.

The opening round of the playoffs are often as entertaining as the opening weekend of the NCAA hoops tournament. Colonial Beach scored 60 points and PH-Glade Spring rolled up 57, but both were first-round losers. Bland topped PH 64-57 and William Campbell outlasted Colonial Beach 67-60 in the two wildest games of the first weekend.

It’s gotta stink missing out on a playoff win because you can’t hold a team to eight touchdowns.

The lowest seed still playing is Chantilly, a 13 seed that knocked off No. 4 James Madison in 6A North. In all, 17 underdogs won on the road on opening night. The losingest team to win was 2-8 Lakeland (over 8-2 Park View), while at 9-1, Pulaski County was the winningest team to lose (to 6-4 Amherst County).

The two biggest upsets down our way were No. 10 Graham over No. 7 James River 35-17 in 2A West and No. 11 Amherst over No. 6 Pulaski County 29-22 in 4A West.

Graham’s win really wasn’t that big of an upset. The G-Men are a lot like Galax – a team that played a very ambitious nondistrict schedule, a team that’s much better than its record, and one with a potentially dominating tailback.

And Amherst County’s win speaks more about what’s facing the 2A field than anything. Amherst toppled 9-1 Pulaski County in the 4A opening round just one week after losing 38-0 to Appomattox, the top seed in 2A West.

Daaaang.

First thing, Hurley had 11 penalties and Parry McClure had 2, and just where were you sitting at to see all those penalties?? Most of those penalties we called on the opposite side of the field from the bleachers. Second thing is, I was not even referring to that game Good luck to all the teams still playing, especially Hurley, JIB, Richlands and Honaker.

Sixcat I really enjoyed your post. Sadly you may never get to see a game at "The Cliff" as consolidation is looming. Realistic possibility within 5 years. 10 years is a reality.

Thanks Razor, being a Hurley grad I'm as Rebel as they come, but, I'm also as unbiased as they come.

John, don't take this wrong but when a tackle "tackles" a Defensive end its not hard to see.