Glevar @ Union

BigWinners

Can the Bears avenge last year's close loss that had the Bears lose 19-9 but turned the ball over eight times?

Glenvar is the defending champion, but Union maybe the favorite by being at home.

What are Glenvar's strengths/weaknesses and their best player?

Injuries for Union could be a big deal, arguably their best defensive player is in bad shape and his status for Saturday is in doubt.

Game is 2PM Saturday.

When is Richlands/Appomattox? Friday or Saturday?

Glenvar's strength is their defense. No team has scored more than 15 points on them. Theyre strong, physical, and play to the echo of the whistle. You will more than likely not be able to run on them. If you have multiple talented receivers and a line that can give the qb some time you may have a chance to put up some points.

Their offense is more balanced this year then ever. They have a small running back but he is strong and quick. If he has a small opening he will bust through it. They also have a good qb with 2 great receivers. #2 is tall, quick,and is hard to take down in open field. #7 is smaller but very fast! If the ball is thrown in his area he will more than likely catch it. He has the best hands of any receiver I've watched this season. He is also a dangerous return man.

Union does have multiple talented receivers, five different receivers have caught TD passes, and we have four legit threats to score at any time in the passing game. Our WRs are big as well, one is 6'3, the other 6'5, and the TE is 6'4. Noaks is smaller, but is electric and can score from anywhere on the field.

Union's defense is pretty good, but not elite. The offense is very good tho, I would be surprised if Union is held to less than 15 points unless Union has a ton of turnovers

Should be a slugfest!

Union had success running the ball against Richlands, especially in the second half, is the Glenvar defense better than Richlands?

If #50 for Union is unable to play or not 100% then it will hurt....a LOT. I know that Glenvar's returning players are older, bigger, and stronger, but so are Union's. I was very surprised that Glenvar won state after seeing them against the Bears. Maybe they had a bad game or something because Union wasn't that good last year and it still took 8 turnovers for Glenvar to get the win. I guess they just matched up well with the rest of the teams they played or had better games.

I've read, watched, and heard a lot about Glenvar's line. They are big and strong, no doubt. Union may or may not be able to run against them. Time will tell. We're definitely balanced this year, and I don't think it would be a problem to throw it the whole game if needed.

It seems the key for Union is going to be stop their #7 on offense and keep their D off balanced and guessing. Try to hit them with short passes with a few runs mixed in. Then hit them with some deep balls when they play up. Gavin and Mitchell are most likely going to be taller and possibly faster than any DB they have.

Based on how few points Glenvar has put up this year, I think the Union D will be able to contain them. If they can't contain our O then we shouldn't have a hard time outscoring them. Nobody thought we could run on Richlands, but we were only 1 of 3 teams that did. Bluefield and Buckingham being the other 2. We don't have to rush for 300 yards against Glenvar. Just enough to keep them honest. We have to use our athletes in space and give them a chance to make plays.

Does Glenvar score lots of points on offense. I heard they are stingy on defense...but can they score points if the other team has the potential like Union to pass and run the ball and score lots of points? Should be a great game! Wonder what the weather will be like next Sat?

Does Glenvar score lots of points on offense. I heard they are stingy on defense...but can they score points if the other team has the potential like Union to pass and run the ball and score lots of points? Should be a great game! Wonder what the weather will be like next Sat?

Glenvar...

Galax(7-3) 20-15
James River(8-2) 20-9
Cave Spring(2-8) 28-6
Grayson Co(6-4) 21-0
Covington(4-6) 40-0
Giles(9-1) 16-14
Auburn(6-4) 38-0
East Mont(0-10) 62-0
Radford (7-3) 20-14
Floyd Co(2-8) 48-0

Opponents record... 51-49
Average Score...31.3 - 5.8

Union...

Burton(9-1) 52-6
Richlands(9-1) 42-41
David Crockett(6-4) 41-32
Ridgeview(6-4) 42-12
Gate City(3-7) 34-27
Lee High(5-5) 35-2
Central(7-3) 14-6
Eastside(2-8) 48-13
Letcher Co(4-6) 58-25
John Battle(1-9) 41-7

Opponents record... 52-48
Average score... 40.7 - 17.1

Rain for Saturday as of now, which hopefully means sunny and 60 by the time Saturday actually gets here.

Glenvar has not given up more than 15 points in any game, but Union has only scored less than 34 points once.

Something's gotta give there

Defense usually prevails. Hope its not the case Saturday with Union and Richlands.

Glenvar's #2 will put pressure on your qb all night. He's there strong side end and as as the ball is snapped he goes straight to the backfield

You are correct pal...if Union don't have a guy that can block Stanley(#2) then your QB is in for a long day...their entire DL is big,strong and can all run

The keys to a Glenvar win would be to control clock with the run game and limit Union offensive possession. I believe the Defensive line and Offensive line will control the game for Glenvar. Jamming Union receivers on the line will give Glenvar defense time to pressure the QB.

Let them make the mistake of jamming our WR's...please I hope they do! Don't need much time from the spread and Spears does a good job recognizing the coverage. Hope this will lead to the vertical shots we need to take more often.