Couple of Peeves.....

futbolking

Lonesome Pine and Twin Rivers would have been great school names.  I think Ridgeview is fairly generic as well...just like River View, Mount View, and PikeView in WV.  In case you don't know why they called it PikeView...the School sits just of Exit 14 on I-77, also known as the WV Turnpike, and the interstate is visible from the school, thus PikeView.

I certainly hope when Tazewell Co. consolidates, they give more thought to the names of the schools than Wise and Dickenson Cos. did...I've been a fan of the name Clinch River HS for the new western most school in Tazewell Co.   Would like the eastern school to be call Bluestone River HS or East River HS.  But I won't be surprised if they with Tazewell Co. East and Tazewell Co. West...

You know there was a Town Manager who wanted to change the Bluefield VA seal to show East River Mt. in the background with a silhouette of a Mallard in the foreground so maybe they could be the East River Ducks.

I loved the idea of Lonesome Pine High, that would have been awesome. But I don't hate Union, its the best of the new school names.

The Bears, meh, its alright I guess, but let's be honest: there aren't that many Bears around here. The Lonesome Pine High Buccaneers would have been neat, but I guess since that was the old Big Stone name it was out of the question. 

I hate orange, so I wish the color scheme was different, I like Ridgeview's a lot, it looks really good on the field.

I think Unions' name should be Champion High School. The mascot name should be Ass Kickers, Now don't that sound good for their 15 state championships. The Champion Ass Kickers sounds like a team I wouldn't put on the schedule. LOL.

I like the way you think...even if your addition skills are slightly lacking.

I agree Winners, Union is the best of the Wise county names. I like the Union colors because like you said it ties in w PV/Appy. Centrals colors work well because of the connection to Pound(mostly black w some red) and JJK(mostly red w some black). I did hear a disgruntled Coeburn supporter with ties to PV say that it was unfair because "Wise got to keep their mascot", which is dumb.

Eastsides are a swing and a miss imo. Hunter green with Black??? They have silver in there too but don't use it. Spartans is a great mascot but Eastside is a terrible name, sounds like some generic name from a B movie.

Union_Fan,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musselman_High_School

Actually a really cool story imo

Galax is mispronounced many different ways.  The one that crawls all over me is pronouncing it similar to a gala ball with an "x" at the end.  Also, we are the Maroon Tide, dammit, not the Maroons!

I heard some dude at the Graham game pronounce it "gow - lax".... like galaxy without the y.

Have you heard the accents on this Appomattox vs Lee broadcast? No telling how they are going to pronounce Richlands or players names come Saturday.

Wow!! Very possible Richlands will be pronounced Wichlands

https://youtu.be/BA32l27C8x4

or ruchlunds.... I lived down there for a few years.....they have a lazy accent down that way..

My peeve is when ESPN commentators refer to Georgia Tech's offense as the "option spread."  It is commonly (or uncommonly) known as the flex bone.  It employs one fullback, two slot backs (not wings, wings are to the TE side), and two split ends or wide receivers covering the tackles on the LOS.  It directly evolved from the wish bone, it gave the offense the capability to get up to four vertical routes downfield.  It is not a spread formation.......period.  Not even close.  It is an old school option based (run heavy) offense, and I love it. Every time I hear it, I wish Paul Johnson would climb into the booth and smack the piss out of the person that said it.

My peeve is when ESPN commentators refer to Georgia Tech's offense as the "option spread."  It is commonly (or uncommonly) known as the flex bone.  It employs one fullback, two slot backs (not wings, wings are to the TE side), and two split ends or wide receivers covering the tackles on the LOS.  It directly evolved from the wish bone, it gave the offense the capability to get up to four vertical routes downfield.  It is not a spread formation.......period.  Not even close.  It is an old school option based (run heavy) offense, and I love it. Every time I hear it, I wish Paul Johnson would climb into the booth and smack the piss out of the person that said it.

Ugh amen to that, I ABHOR listening to football announcers who clearly don't understand the game. A zone blitz is not running Cover 2 with the three man line and one blitzing LB/DB, I HATE that. The 'zone blitz' is having defensive linemen drop back into shallow zones and blitz linebackers and cover guys. A zone blitz is more complex than simple zone coverage with a blitzer. Dick LeBeau was the master of the zone blitz, the big defensive tackles had to be able to drop in coverage around the first down marker while letting guys like Kevin Greene, Greg Lloyd, James Harrison, Troy Polamalu blitz. 

old_school_blue, also everything GT runs is Triple Option; Counter Option, QB Follow, Rocket Sweep, everything. Drives me crazy.

Every run not to a TB or FB is a Jet Sweep; End Arounds, Rocket Sweep, Reverse, Double Reverse, whatever. All Jet Sweep.

Galax is a little tricky because it should be spelled Gaylax if its gonna be pronounced that way

I loved the idea of Lonesome Pine High, that would have been awesome. But I don't hate Union, its the best of the new school names.

The Bears, meh, its alright I guess, but let's be honest: there aren't that many Bears around here. The Lonesome Pine High Buccaneers would have been neat, but I guess since that was the old Big Stone name it was out of the question. 

I hate orange, so I wish the color scheme was different, I like Ridgeview's a lot, it looks really good on the field.

Oh I think you can begin to love the color orange.  Maybe get it to slide into your other sports teams you root for.

Also, theres more bear around here than you might think.

Oh I think you can begin to love the color orange.  Maybe get it to slide into your other sports teams you root for.

Also, theres more bear around here than you might think.

It will be a cold day in Hell before I ever admit to liking that god awful color. Such an ugly, abhorrent color. Hell, if I have a red-headed child, he is being adopted, no orange in my house damnit

I'm not serious, no need for the posters who don't realize its a joke to get upset.

Almost everyone these days seems to think that any offense that lines up in 2x2 is running spread, regardless of personnel, motion, or play

Union_Fan,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musselman_High_School

Actually a really cool story imo

I had definitely never heard about that school when I come up with my "Apple Valley High" thoughts.

Very cool indeed. Corporate responsibility at its absolute best.

Although, I'm not entirely sure I would have wanted to be known as an Appleman...lol. Thanks for sharing!

Lonesome Pine and Twin Rivers would have been great school names. I think Ridgeview is fairly generic as well...just like River View, Mount View, and PikeView in WV. In case you don't know why they called it PikeView...the School sits just of Exit 14 on I-77, also known as the WV Turnpike, and the interstate is visible from the school, thus PikeView.

I certainly hope when Tazewell Co. consolidates, they give more thought to the names of the schools than Wise and Dickenson Cos. did...I've been a fan of the name Clinch River HS for the new western most school in Tazewell Co. Would like the eastern school to be call Bluestone River HS or East River HS. But I won't be surprised if they with Tazewell Co. East and Tazewell Co. West...

Won't be surprised? It'd be a mortal lock!

I like your proposal. Clinch HS and Bluestone HS.

Almost everyone these days seems to think that any offense that lines up in 2x2 is running spread, regardless of personnel, motion, or play

I agree in the fact that the word "spread" is overused.  However, that particular offense is not 2 x 2.  It is basically a full house backfield with two split receivers.  The slots are running backs.  I can see your point if your are saying that people automatically think that they are receivers.  That was really my beef, most people can't talk about the fundamentals of the game and really couldn't buy a clue.  About commentators, if they don't know that much about the sport, they should not be in the position.

old_school_blue, also everything GT runs is Triple Option; Counter Option, QB Follow, Rocket Sweep, everything. Drives me crazy.

Every run not to a TB or FB is a Jet Sweep; End Arounds, Rocket Sweep, Reverse, Double Reverse, whatever. All Jet Sweep.

Galax is a little tricky because it should be spelled Gaylax if its gonna be pronounced that way

Kind of lost me here.  I agree that is what GT runs....gotta love it.  With the terms "Rocket Sweep" and "Jet Sweep", these are terms that are specific to that type of offense.  A rocket sweep is a the equivalent to the toss sweep of the I formation.  In order to run this play, the running back will initiate "rocket" motion (rapid motion coming around the tail of the fullback.)  The difference is that the ball will not be snapped until that running back has reached the play side tackle.  The quarterback then has an extended "toss" on the play.  With the "Jet" sweep, the running back initiates "Jet" motion, a straight line motion and receives the football as he approached the quarter back.  Two keys to this play, the ball has to be snapped as the running back arrives at the back side guard and he has to be at full speed.  These plays basically set up multitudes of counters, options, traps, sprint draws....etc.

Actually, today's spread offenses have borrowed a ton from the slot and wing offenses.  The rocket motion has been utilized and adapted into what is actually called orbit motion (some may call it something else.)  The Jet motion and Jet sweep is often utilized in the spread, some also call it speed sweep or other names.

Which actually brings me to another peeve.  I can't stand when a team runs a jet sweep and the ball carrier fails to get to full speed or the timing of the snap is off slowing the play down.  That tells me that the coaches have thrown it in the play book just to have it there.  I don't care if you only run five plays, you should be able to run them damn near perfect.  In seeing the above, it tells me that coaching staff does not know what they are doing.

My peeve is notsomuch a pet peeve.......I'm peeved that with all the sports fans that visit this forum, not ONE has posted any details on the fallout suffered by that Sleepin' Nuts dude after he got busted on here....