Playoff formats in various classifications

sup_rbeast

Have any of y'all noticed the different playoff formats in each classification? Each division is different...sometimes within the same classification. Take 1A for example. In the west there are 16 teams to start out. In the east there are only 12 with the top 4 getting a first round bye. Seems to me that the east has it right...anyways, seems the VHSL would dictate playoff formats..not each division.

Have any of y'all noticed the different playoff formats in each classification? Each division is different...sometimes within the same classification. Take 1A for example. In the west there are 16 teams to start out. In the east there are only 12 with the top 4 getting a first round bye. Seems to me that the east has it right...anyways, seems the VHSL would dictate playoff formats..not each division.

VHSL is (essentially) an administrative body, not a governing one. It is not within their powers to dictate to the members.

I'm not a fan of the 1st round bye for several reasons, the main one being the regular season is 11 weeks so that scheduling is easier, what if your open week falls on week 11 then you earn a 1st found bye? 2 weeks off is a looooong time

Fair enough I guess but to say "somebody will play you" is pretty narrow minded. Ridgeview scheduled Jenkins because nobody would play them week 1, they were really forced to play a VASTLY inferior team just to get 10 games(honestly they would probably be better off rolling with 9). Scheduling isint easy for teams from Dickenson and Buchanan Counties, they are viewed as being on the other side of the planet by most.

I do think there should be more conformity. Each classification should be the same imo. If 2A wants to do things differently than 1A then so be it but 1A East doing it differently that 1A West is ridiculous

I think the reasoning for that is we have more 2A teams in the west than they do in the east ( don't know for sure just a guess). I hate bye weeks in the playoffs, it cools off hot teams. Unless you are playing a team that has a unique style of play like Giles, it just takes you out of your routine. I like the way it is now. If you have a team that just makes it like a 13-16 seed and gets killed that first game so what. Those teams got there butts handed to them more than once in the regular season anyway. It just helps teams like Rv or Graham that are trying to build up the fan base and young players. Teams like GC, Union and Richlands it wouldn't change much for them normally. A team like Graham made some noise this year, if you had an 8 team playoff they would have been left out. If you have 12 then you may as well have 16 so the 1-4 seeds can at least make some money. A team like Gc, Union and Richlands can make alot of money in just 1 extra game, it would be a big waste to have a bye week for those teams. 

I'm not a fan of the 1st round bye for several reasons, the main one being the regular season is 11 weeks so that scheduling is easier, what if your open week falls on week 11 then you earn a 1st found bye? 2 weeks off is a looooong time

Most coaches who I polled on the subject hate the bye week in the postseason

Back to 4 regions, take top 4-6 teams from each in points, and don't "even" up the numbers between the regions.  There's going to be a "deserving" team miss out, that's the way it is, makes things more interesting and challenging.  Should mean much more to make it to postseason.  You keep trying to please everyone and end up creating more problems, and you'll never make everyone happy.

The tea leaves that I am reading of late are that next year's postseason will be a bit more of a hybrid of the old + the new system. That may just be in classes 5 and 6 though as those are the coaches who have brought the topic up to me.

Pod systems (2 conferences per region), play local before moving geographically outward, each of the four regions sending one rep to state.

Just talk at this point, but has a lot of support.

I don't pretend to know what the answers are and know how inept VHSL the NCAA can be.  What I have never been able to figure out, why is the NCAA so resistant to 15 game seasons but VHSL allows 16 game seasons is one counts "benefit games"?

I don't pretend to know what the answers are and know how inept VHSL the NCAA can be.  What I have never been able to figure out, why is the NCAA so resistant to 15 game seasons but VHSL allows 16 game seasons is one counts "benefit games"?

It's especially puzzling because the DIII kids play 15 games to win the title.

My only opposition to the regional format returning is that I feel like D would be much stronger C top to bottom, at least right now. If you assume Graham and Richlands are Region D teams (which to me they would have to be). Region D would consist of these teams that have shown recent success: Richlands - Graham - Union - Gate City - Ridgeview - Central - Lee - Virginia. If you only take four of those, it's a mess.

Take the top 4, Union, Richlands, Graham, and Central.  Those are the top 4, not complicated.  Just like it used to be.  In Region C, the top 4 would be Appomattox, Glenvar, Buckingham, Giles.  Top 6, you add Ridgeview, Grayson in D and Dan River, James River in C.  Region D (Clinch Mountain 40 and Southern Empire 39) and Region C (River Run 38 and Courthouse 37)

What would be cool if you did that when you get down to 2 per region then cross bracket the region A with B and C with D, then cross bracket east and west. Then if you have 2 really strong teams in one region like Union and Richlands this year they could play each other in the state championship. 

What would be cool if you did that when you get down to 2 per region then cross bracket the region A with B and C with D, then cross bracket east and west. Then if you have 2 really strong teams in one region like Union and Richlands this year they could play each other in the state championship.

I second that idea. Best of both worlds.

I love the new format! The region format imo leaves to many good teams out. I think 8 would be perfect for the simple fact that 12 gives the first round bye. 8 would also eliminate the extra game although I like the five game playoffs because you can never get to much football.

I love the new format! The region format imo leaves to many good teams out. I think 8 would be perfect for the simple fact that 12 gives the first round bye. 8 would also eliminate the extra game although I like the five game playoffs because you can never get to much football.

Take 12 and have the bye...then you still get 5 weeks of playoff games.

I just think you are diminishing the state championship, right now any decent team hot or not has a chance to get in. It allows for kids to recovery and injuries teams to make turn arounds. If you really are the best, what's one more game even if it is a warm up.

Makes its possible for a 5-5 Jonesville to happen again where the Cinderella story writes it's self.

Having storied program after storied program faced each other because they have excellent boosters, loaded with transfers, etc only adds to those problems. The additional revenue is huge and helps keep the other schools at the bottom.

Quote unquote playoff "glass ceiling"

In football I wouldn't want to see Richlands pv/GC Jib in football and GC eastside/castlewood/ts/Tw in basketball every season make the playoffs because they are scared of an extra game.

you beat me to it.

Makes its possible for a 5-5 Jonesville to happen again where the Cinderella story writes it's self.

Just like the 5-5 Appy team in 1989, the 1988 Jonesville team was 1 of only 4 playoff teams in Region D Division 1. They were legit and had the rating to get in. That's my point entirely...most all the State Champions who had mediocre regular season records accomplished their feat when playoff spots were hard earned..not after they were given out to nearly everyone. The old system thoroughly vetted the teams that got in...and was more efficient than the watered down mess we have now.

Just like the 5-5 Appy team in 1989, the 1988 Jonesville team was 1 of only 4 playoff teams in Region D Division 1. They were legit and had the rating to get in. That's my point entirely...most all the State Champions who had mediocre regular season records accomplished their feat when playoff spots were hard earned..not after they were given out to nearly everyone. The old system thoroughly vetted the teams that got in...and was more efficient than the watered down mess we have now.

0 5 and 5 teams would get in as of now.