2017-19 Realignment

Ryan4VT

Here is the proposed system for the 2017 season. I love it. Top 8 of each region play each other then send each region champion to the semis. Cuts games like Buckingham @ Richlands in the second round.

http://www.vhsl.org/doc/upload/alignment-2017-19-initial-proposed-24-region-alignment-plan.pdf

My guess is, Radford and Riverheads will move up to 2A based on current enrollment figures.  Fort Chiswell could as well but they seem a little closer to the magic number than the other two.  I also believe this will begin a process of new district alignments, especially in our part of the state.  I have heard from several sources that Grayson and Graham are exiting the MED for the SWD.  Galax, George Wythe, Fort Chiswell, Giles and Radford have been discussing reviving a form of the old New River District for some time now.  I am not sure who else that will involve but I like the idea.  Narrows has been talking about jumping to the Pioneer District for several years.  Carroll would like nothing more than to not have to compete in the River Ridge against Salem. Patrick Henry and the like.  They are looking at the SWD and the Piedmont from what I hear. 

Carroll would like nothing more than to not have to compete in the River Ridge against Salem. Patrick Henry and the like.  They are looking at the SWD and the Piedmont from what I hear. 

No one in the SWD wants Carroll back.

No one in the SWD wants Carroll back.

I know!  They make life significantly more difficult on themselves.

I was talking to a group of guys from Hillsville last weekend who were adamant that Carroll was being screwed over by the powers that be in Galax, forcing them to have to compete against the likes of PH-Roanoke and Salem. I'm not sure how they have come to the conclusion that Galax somehow factors into the VHSL enrollment guidelines concerning Carroll.  Most around the county want to compete with Grayson, Floyd, Galax and Fort Chiswell but fail to factor in the significant size advantage Carroll has over those schools.

Seriously though, Carroll consolidated it's two high schools years before any of this mattered.  What may have seemed like a good idea at the time has developed into a nightmare scenario for the county.  They don't have the resources nor the community support to take advantage of the enrollment numbers they have.  Most students living outside the Hillsville area don't get the opportunity to participate in middle school sports because they live farther away than the school board will allow activity buses to run and parents aren't able to transport them too and from due to work.  Those who are unable to participate in middle school, rarely participate in high school which significantly reduces the numbers of kids they have playing sports.

Getting anyone in Hillsville to understand these things or care enough to help is asking far too much, though!  Hillsville and Carroll County aren't exactly besties, you know.

SWD....

Graham

Grayson 

Richlands

V High

Marion

Tazewell

Abingdon

Lebanon

I like it.....  A lot of the original SouthWest District Teams Plus Grayson..   Haven't heard anything about Grayson going to the SWD, but I would like it..... brings credibility to baseball in the district.

Leaves 3 open dates for rivalry games also... I would love to see all 7 of these teams on Graham's schedule, with Bluefield, Galax and Princeton rounding out the out of district schedule... Love to watch Galax play, they execute so well.  Would like to keep the basketball series with them as well..... If Grayson doesn't come to the SWD, I would like to see Graham pick up GW or Radford.....great programs that are easy road trips.

Graham's football program is on it's way back to credibility...... this would be a great schedule.

My guess is, Radford and Riverheads will move up to 2A based on current enrollment figures.  Fort Chiswell could as well but they seem a little closer to the magic number than the other two.  I also believe this will begin a process of new district alignments, especially in our part of the state.  I have heard from several sources that Grayson and Graham are exiting the MED for the SWD.  Galax, George Wythe, Fort Chiswell, Giles and Radford have been discussing reviving a form of the old New River District for some time now.  I am not sure who else that will involve but I like the idea.  Narrows has been talking about jumping to the Pioneer District for several years.  Carroll would like nothing more than to not have to compete in the River Ridge against Salem. Patrick Henry and the like.  They are looking at the SWD and the Piedmont from what I hear. 

Geographically, I think Carroll would fit best in the Piedmont.... that would be the best move for them IMO.  According to the article posted, they are trying to go to the Three Rivers.... no competitive advantage there, all of those 1A and 2A schools would smoke them in most sports....

Geographically, I think Carroll would fit best in the Piedmont.... that would be the best move for them IMO.  According to the article posted, they are trying to go to the Three Rivers.... no competitive advantage there, all of those 1A and 2A schools would smoke them in most sports....

Everything but girls basketball and softball.  

I like how the article clarifies the TRD and the MED going forward, if it happens. 

MED

Galax

George Wythe

Fort Chiswell

Rural Retreat

Bland

TRD

Giles

Radford

James River

Floyd

Glenvar

Auburn

Narrows would move to the Pioneer along with East Mont.  With the exception of Auburn, that would leave the MED all 1A and the TRD all 2A.  And those would be two monster districts from a competitive standpoint.

I could be completely wrong but I believe Washington County will keep all of its schools in the same "region" regardless of division.  That would leave the Smyth County schools to move, if they do.  I have heard rumors that Chilhowie may ask to be moved to the MED if Rural Retreat is asked to do so.

I also believe Radford to be far more likely to move to 2A than Fort Chiswell.  As of the last enrollment figures two years ago, Fort Chiswell was at 457 and I don't believe they have gained students.  Radford was at 441 two years ago but they have gained a lot of students since that time.

I could be completely wrong but I believe Washington County will keep all of its schools in the same "region" regardless of division. That would leave the Smyth County schools to move, if they do. I have heard rumors that Chilhowie may ask to be moved to the MED if Rural Retreat is asked to do so.

I also believe Radford to be far more likely to move to 2A than Fort Chiswell. As of the last enrollment figures two years ago, Fort Chiswell was at 457 and I don't believe they have gained students. Radford was at 441 two years ago but they have gained a lot of students since that time.

Thanks for the knowledge, and the Washington Co system makes since,

so basically, lee, wise, scott, Russell, Dickinson, buchanan, and Washington make up 1a far west and some of the 2a west

I like how the article clarifies the TRD and the MED going forward, if it happens. 

MED

Galax

George Wythe

Fort Chiswell

Rural Retreat

Bland

TRD

Giles

Radford

James River

Floyd

Glenvar

Auburn

Narrows would move to the Pioneer along with East Mont.  With the exception of Auburn, that would leave the MED all 1A and the TRD all 2A.  And those would be two monster districts from a competitive standpoint.

Why would Auburn stay in a "AA" district???  I see them going to the MED as well as Narrows staying put.

Why would Auburn stay in a "AA" district??? I see them going to the MED as well as Narrows staying put.

I have no idea what Auburn will do and haven't heard anything pertaining to them. Narrows has been clamoring for two years to move to the Pioneer.

MED

Galax

George Wythe

Fort Chiswell

Rural Retreat

Bland

TRD

Giles

Radford

James River

Floyd

Glenvar

Auburn

The Lady Buffs would have something to say about basketball and softball..... but I agree, other than Floyd, they would be near the top in those 2 sports.

I like this re alignment...Good fit for Narz and East Mont too in the Pioneer... that would make all of those schools 1A I believe....

The TRD and the SouthWest District should play each other for their non district games...  The MED, TRD and SouthWest District should schedule each other for their out of district games...

As for Auburn, they should seriously consider the MED... they would be in close proximity to all of the MED teams....Bland and Rural Retreat would be their furthest road trips and you can make both of those trips in about an hour.

I have no idea what Auburn will do and haven't heard anything pertaining to them. Narrows has been clamoring for two years to move to the Pioneer.

So Narz would rather go to Bath Co. than Galax, Bland, and Wythe Co.???  Not surprised, coming from a school that should have closed years ago...

So Narz would rather go to Bath Co. than Galax, Bland, and Wythe Co.???  Not surprised, coming from a school that should have closed years ago...

I think they would compete very well in that district, pretty weak with the exception of James River.  Would be a travel nightmare, however. 

If they did consolidate, it would push Giles to 3A...I think.

I think they would compete very well in that district, pretty weak with the exception of James River.  Would be a travel nightmare, however. 

If they did consolidate, it would push Giles to 3A...I think.

I don't think it would from what i've heard from guys in the giles program....we are like the 3rd smallest 2A West teams right now and I don't think the Narz kids would push us to 3A but that's as of right now....by the time it happens(which it never will) we may be 3A by then....I could be wrong though