Pro Players that you actually got to see when they were in High School...

futbolking

I am biased but Darryal Wilson was the best pure athlete I have seen in person (from SWVA that is).  UT wide receiver, 1600 meter relay NCAA Champion and NFL wide receiver.  Saw him dunk from the foul line in a high school game.  Unbelievable athleticism.

Before the onslaught begins, this is my opinion, not a statement of fact.  I do not know any of the Curry family either.

I am biased but Darryal Wilson was the best pure athlete I have seen in person (from SWVA that is).  UT wide receiver, 1600 meter relay NCAA Champion and NFL wide receiver.  Saw him dunk from the foul line in a high school game.  Unbelievable athleticism.

Before the onslaught begins, this is my opinion, not a statement of fact.  I do not know any of the Curry family either.

You are a riot ole Bobby boy

Shawn Moore played QB for Martinsville in the mid-80s, I would venture a guess that's it. Martinsville has been kind to UVA through the years. Nikki Fisher also comes to mind.

Bingo.... I had my Moore's mixed up.... thanks.

Yeah Shawn Moore was the QB  and Nikki Fisher the RB on the Martinsville team that played Blacksburg in 1984 I believe....could have been 85....Blacksburg beat them in a flat out downpour all day long.....Blacksburg went to state title game in 84 and 85....One hell of a defense those Indians teams had

Ended up being buddies with the RB/MLB from the '84 team once I got to Blacksburg...he was a stud both on and off the field (the ladies know what I'm talking about)...

See hokiebird7, that's how you "name drop" without making yourself look silly...

I dunked on Talford my senior year in a game we played at Lebanon (Russell County tournament).

Just because you dunked during a game while he was on the court doesn't mean you dunked on him...LOL...

I kid, I kid...

Didn't see him play in high school, but, I played in a pick-up basketball game at the War gym at VT against Bruce Smith.

It was during my second year at VT, early spring semester.  We were playing ball at the gym and he walked in and said "I got next"...nobody argued with him.  The team I was on won, so he picked up four others.  We got the ball first, one of the guys on my team tossed up a brick.  Bruce cleared the lane, grabbed the rebound, and took off down the floor with the dexterity of a 290lb point guard.  I had dropped back on D and saw him coming towards me...I quickly got out of the way as he chugged into the lane with the ball for a one-handed dunk.  We lost 10-1...

Ended up being buddies with the RB/MLB from the '84 team once I got to Blacksburg...he was a stud both on and off the field (the ladies know what I'm talking about)...

See hokiebird7, that's how you "name drop" without making yourself look silly...

Yes he was a stud no doubt about it...But there were a lot of studs on those 2 Blacksburg teams...defense was lights out

I'm done arguing about this situtation....as i've said I don't give a rat's ass if you believe me or not....If you think hard enough you may be able to piece it together but i doubt it lol

Believe it or not, I have the BHC game article and photo of the dunk over him in my old HS scrap book at my parents.  Next time I'm there, I'll have to dig through it, scan it and post it.  Such memories...miss those days!

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't Herman Moore play for Martinsville against Graham in the state semis back in 81, if so.... add him to the list.... I believe he had a decent career in the NFL.  He may have played at GW Danville and I saw him in a scrimmage..... 

Herman Moore played for GW Danville.

OK. . . don't know who I am thinking of ...from Martinsville. . anybody from down that way known of anyone in that time period or is my mind just playing tricks on me?

Jesse Penn played for the 81 Martinsville team.  He played parts of 2 seasons in Dallas before a neck injury forced him to retire.

Ed Reynolds - Drewry Mason H.S., UVA and about 10 years with the Patriots.

Tim Goad - Patrick County H.S.; UNC - 8 years with Patriots, 2 with Cleveland and 1 with Baltimore

Shawn Moore- Martinsville H.S,; UVA and Denver Broncos

Roberts Jones - Nottaway H.S., ECU and Dallas 

Mike Compton - Richlands: Patriots, Lions

Ahmad Bradshaw - Graham (saw him play basketball) - various teams

Ferrell Edmunds- GW Danville, Maryland: Dolphins

If he can avoid more injuries, I think there is 1 more that might be on the list........ Devon Johnson, Richlands, Marshall and ????     I really think he can play somewhere, just not sure of his position....he has the physical tools to play on Sunday if injuries don't get in the way.

Logan Thomas (Brookville) in 07 and 08 when they played Richlands in the Division 3 State Quarters; current Miami Dolphin

Justin Grimm (Virginia High, baseball) whom I'm surprised no one else has mentioned; current Chicago Cub

Devon Johnson (Richlands) who will almost certainly at least get a tryout with an NFL team; currently at Marshall

Ian Frye (Virginia High) who will almost certainly at least get a tryout with an NFL team; currently at UVA

Probably several basketball players from Oak Hill and different schools in the Arby's Classic over the years

If he can avoid more injuries, I think there is 1 more that might be on the list........ Devon Johnson, Richlands, Marshall and ????     I really think he can play somewhere, just not sure of his position....he has the physical tools to play on Sunday if injuries don't get in the way.

I wouldnt mind seeing my Cowboys draft him in the later rounds. They need a power RB / versatile FB to fit their system. 4-5 carries a game and 8-12 snaps at Wing/H-Back/FB. Good developmental position for him imo

I too would love to see Johnson in a Cowboys uniform. Jason Garrett and staff are coaching one side in the Senior bowl. This is a plus for Dallas to see what a hard worker this kid is and that he is the "right kid of player". So hopefully he will play on the team Red coaches. Good article below.

http://sportdfw.com/2016/01/13/cowboys-draft-rbfb-devon-johnson-two-birds-one-stone/