Admittance

My name is Ryan Dye. Today is Janurary 6th, 2016. Today is the day my life changes.

There is no easy way to start this. I'm morbidly obese. As a 6' 2" twenty-five year old, the ideal weight for someone my age/height/weight would be between 144-210 lbs. I weigh 345.

If you go back and look at pictures of you youth, you'll see a very skinny version of myself. Nearly always active. Always happy. I was the prototypical child. But something changed. Somewhere along the way, you see a chubbier child emerge. This is somewhere around the time that I began school, and looking back I think I know the trigger. My parents divorce. It's something I've never really talked about much, but as I grow older, I begin to see the effects that one single act early in my childhood would cause.

Maybe I was too young to immediately truly comprehend what was happening. Yeah, my time was split with my parents and my relationship with my father suffered immensely from it. But a 5/6 year old can't see that fully, or at least that's the common perception. In all honestly, it was very saddening, almost traumatic. I didn't actually know why my parents split until I was in my late teens. I'm beginning to believe this set the stage for what would be the next 20 years.

My weight grew as I grew, and I was never "skinny." But I certainly didn't let that bother me. I made friends, I hung out with all the crowds, and I had no issues with talking to girls. I was a very typical teen, in that regard. I lost some weight when I started playing basketball at the Rec. weekly at about age 15. I was still overweight, but I wasn't anything ungodly obese or anything.

I've touched on my grandmother passing away at age 18 and its effects on my mental state, but what about my physical state? Depression leads to over-eating which leads to depression. It's a truly vicious cycle that I know all too well. I've lived this cycle for the last 8 years.

I wake up every day and look in the mirror, absolutely disgusted by what stares back at me. I dream of being back to a smaller size. Doing the things I used to love (basketball, marching band). Wearing shirts you can buy without special ordering. (There is no pain quite like having to search special sections of stores/online stores just to find a 3 or 4x shirt to fit you) But even when I think of those things, what do I do? I go eat. Not because it makes me feel good. It actually makes me feel worse, guilty even. Nope, I eat because it's what my mind tells me to do. And it's something that I don't have a lot of control over.

Until today. Until right now.

I type this with full transparency. This will be hard. And I'm not going to act like I won't need help along the way.

Last year, I was sitting in my room and realized I had drank 14 cans of Mountain Dew in a day. I immediately put it down and quit cold turkey. Now, 18 months later, I still haven't had a soda. Instead, I stick to water, milk, and power/gatorade...and maybe the occasional lemonade. All this to say, I've cut things out before, I can do it again.

And this is that time.

When I wake up, I'm going to go help my mother like I've planned for a month now, and then I'm going to figure out what to eat. But not anything unhealthy. I'm going to figure out a filling meal that I can eat twice a day and have it come in under 2000 calories for a day. I'm also going to find an elliptical and go for 10 minutes. Fight for 10 minutes. 6 days a week I'm going to fight. And I'm going to succeed.

The ultimate goal is 200 lbs. and I know that won't come quick or easy. But I will see 200 lbs. I will march in the Marching Virginians this season. And I will wear a shirt with the size L.

I won't be stopped. As Buzz Willams says over and over, you don't succeed with what you did yesterday, it's what you stated with a year ago. Time to lay my foundation for next year. Making up ground is the hardest thing to do in life.

This is day one.

Although not quite as dire as you are maybe... I am sort of in the same boat.  I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes on Monday and although I only weigh 265-ish... I am still supposed to be quite smaller than that.  So, my goal is to get a membership with the Workout Anytime here in Bristol and start losing weight myself and trying to eat better.

Which means, that I guess I don't get to eat any more BIg Mozz's from Sheetz... :(

But, I am committed to do my best to make this work.  For the first time in many years, I feel as if I have reason to live.  I'm happy for the first time since early in my marriage.  I now have a girlfriend who I feel truly loves me and supports me.  I have a 7 year old daughter who loves me more than anything.  My first response when I was first told on Monday, was to give up.  Because I thought that 90% of what I eat would be cut out.  That I would no longer be able to drink the IPA's that I love so dearly.

But after a little research and a good heartfelt conversation with the girlfriend, I realize now I can still eat the same foods I did... just not as much.  I can still have one beer a day and be fine.

More than anything, I just need to lose some weight.  I think I can do this, if by nothing else, drinking more bottled water and cutting out soft drinks and spending 30 minutes at the gym each day.

Good luck Ryan and thanks for sharing.

Good luck to you each day is a challenge I am dealing with this daily something that helped me was doing the Daniel Fast it is not really a fast you can eat a lot of food look it up and follow it then work it in to your daily routine. Plus eat at least 5 to 6 times a day remember high protein and low carbs is the key. I changed my diet and lost 30lbs. without exercise. I am no expert but I commend you on making a change I feel better than I did

20 years ago. You can do this.

Ryan, I support you 1000%!!!  If you ever need to talk, you know how to find me.  I too fight some of the battles you mention...sometimes it isn't easy.  But, from the looks of it, we can create our own little "support system" right here on this board...you, me, and havok_fan, and others (I know you guys are out there...time to step up)

We all need to make our lives happier and healthier starting TODAY!

I'm about 45 pounds from my ideal weight and I'm bordering on high blood pressure.  When I was younger, I was a "light-weight" but could eat with the best of them and never gain an ounce.  Well, that caught up with me, I can still eat with the best of them but pack the pounds on easily to the point I look like I'm 7 months pregnant.  I used to be extremely active, now, I get up, go to work, come home and sit in front of the TV or computer until its time to go to bed.

I'm with Ryan!  Today is the day I change my life...this is Day 1.

Ryan, I support you 1000%!!! If you ever need to talk, you know how to find me. I too fight some of the battles you mention...sometimes it isn't easy. But, from the looks of it, we can create our own little "support system" right here on this board...you, me, and havok_fan, and others (I know you guys are out there...time to step up)

We all need to make our lives happier and healthier starting TODAY!

I'm about 45 pounds from my ideal weight and I'm bordering on high blood pressure. When I was younger, I was a "light-weight" but could eat with the best of them and never gain an ounce. Well, that caught up with me, I can still eat with the best of them but pack the pounds on easily to the point I look like I'm 7 months pregnant. I used to be extremely active, now, I get up, go to work, come home and sit in front of the TV or computer until its time to go to bed.

I'm with Ryan! Today is the day I change my life...this is Day 1.

Let's do this. We got this.

Ryan, you know I have always championed your efforts and accomplishments-- and this is no different.  You consciously put VT as your goal and you're there.   I have faith in you and for you,  that you will be successful in this also.  A day at a time--it won't be easy,  but know there are many cheering and praying for you in this journey of new beginnings.

As I shared with you,  2015 was a difficult year for me, the loss of a dear family member and then I had a heart attack the day after the funeral.  My family doctor had been on me for several years to take cholesterol medicine (which wasn't due to my size) but I had the mindset,  I don't need that.  Well that wasn't the case. 

I'm so thankful that you have stepped up to this challenge,  at a young age.   Your rewards will be worth it. 

GOD BLESS!!!!

Good luck to you Ryan.  Stay deteremined.  Same for havoc, Gman and anyone else looking to get healthier.  My wife and I are in the same boat.  I need to drop about 45 (hopefully 60) and she is wanting to cut 20-30 lbs.   Late night binge eating at the couch is a killer for me coupled with lack of consistent exercise.  I hope we all can hit the target we are looking at.

My advice work in 3 steps,

get a gameplan together for food, grill everything - rice mixed veggi3s

If work allows get into a gym rec league

Build yourself up, don't rely on others, and by just working (in mitt's eyes) (only political thing I will ever say) you are better than 49% of the people.

Everyone has problems and the ideas in your head are 10x times worse than what someone is really thinking about you.

Also think bad about someone, and then realized what you just thought wont effect them anyways.

High protein low carbs.  Us big guys have muscle just need to grow it, tone and use it to burn calories.  Your weight will decide the quality of your life. You can actually turn back the clock or maybe right the clock and make yourself feel younger. Sometimes I think our bodies  carve protein but we feed it to many carbs, potatoes, bread, starch--- use protein to kill the hunger and drink plenty of water. It can be, day by day, week by week, month by month, don't stop make it your life.

Started at 250.6 on 1/7 and now I'm at 239.7 as of this morning.

No carbs and high protein. A lot of meat and eggs and cheese. This had been surprisingly easier this time around. Haven't gotten to exercise as much as I wanted, but that will be easier once I get back to campus.

I'm behind you, Ryan.

I've had a problem the last 10 years with stress eating and boredom eating. I got diagnosed with high blood pressure back in October. I need to cut back and lose weight. Soda has been a problem with me for many years.

tricks I use

Atkins candy bars, the 15, 17 gram types.  Between lunch and dinner somewhere around 3 I get a sugar drop, if I don't snack makes it very hard not to overeat at dinner. They are good to keep in your car in case you get caught out somewhere you can't eat like you want.

Low carb protein shake mixed with almond milk and ice.  That late at night after dinner snack.  If your working out to gain muscle, one of these just after you work out.  Having the nutrients in place to rebuild muscle is one of the most critical parts of muscle gain.

I know this will not work for everybody but it did for me...

Everybody in my family is big...tall women, large frame men, etc.  I am pretty average at 6'4" for my family.  My wife is a 6' former college volleyball player.  About 10 years ago, both my wife and I realized that we had put on a whole lot more weight than was healthy.  I was up to around 290 and she was almost 200.  She called one of her old college pals who is now a registered dietician and personal trainer.

Cindy told us the plan was simple in our case because neither of us had any underlying health issues (we know we are very lucky in that area).  She told us to start working out 3 times a week and stop eating after 6 p.m.  ... and cut out sodas.

We started going to the gym together at 5:30 a.m. each day for an hour.  No meals or snacking after 6:00 p.m.  It took about a year but I lost 60 pounds and currently fluctuate around 225-235.  I feel much, much better. I did not actually realize how bad I was feeling until then. I think the not eating after 6:00 was huge for me.  My wife is consistently around 150.  She almost looks too thin with her height. 

We still workout 3 times a week but not always with each other.  It became a habit, a good habit.  Maybe the best thing to come out of it was this:  Our sons also started going with us to the gym and got in good habits of working out (mostly body weight training for them when they were younger) and have almost never snacked after 6 so I hope they continue. So far, no weight issues for them despite being large boned and tall.

I wish nothing but the best for everybody trying to become healthier.  I also think it was a great idea to post on line and build a support system.  You get to see lots of ideas, what works, what did not, etc. 

• 2 weeks later...