Revised VHSL Districts & Regions

Ryan4VT

I like the SWD alignment, although I wonder how long it will take Grayson to request a move back to the Mountain Empire.

Looking at the other districts, Carroll County has to be pleased and Patrick County has to be very unhappy. I'd be shocked to see them score against the likes of GW-Danville, Halifax, and Franklin County in football, let alone be competitive.

Upon closer inspection, some of these assignments are perplexing to say the least.

James River(Buchanan) makes little sense for the Three Rivers. Nor does Eastern Montgomery in the Pioneer. But those two could be swapped pretty easily.

And since classifications obviously mean nothing at all, what's the rationale behind Grayson and Carroll being anywhere other than the MED?

I'd like to volunteer to serve on this committee but my command of geography would probably disqualify me.

I like the SWD alignment, although I wonder how long it will take Grayson to request a move back to the Mountain Empire.

Looking at the other districts, Carroll County has to be pleased and Patrick County has to be very unhappy. I'd be shocked to see them score against the likes of GW-Danville, Halifax, and Franklin County in football, let alone be competitive.

Patrick Co. has been in the same district with GW, Halifax, and Franklin Co. for several years now...no change there.

I am quite perplexed by some of the Class A alignments.  Either the schools didn't want to go where the VHSL wanted to put them or the VHSL has no clue in regards to some of the locations of these schools...I'll go with part ii of that analogy...

Grayson County's baseball program has suffered somewhat from lack of competition being in the MED.  That, and that alone, is the sole factor in Grayson's move to the SWD and has been planned for some time now.  Baseball is king in Grayson County so I don't believe they will change their minds.  I'm not sure what happened to George Wythe and Rural Retreat.  Last I heard, Wythe County wanted all three of it's schools in a single district.  Auburn remaining in the TRD makes little sense to me.  James River has wanted out of the Pioneer for competitive reasons for several years now according to some close friends who live in the area.  Same scenario for East Mont.  They can't compete in the TRD so they wanted to go to the Pioneer.

The Eastern Montgomery/James River discussion is really curious, because (at least in football) those two schools have been on nearly identical trajectories in terms of their W/L record over the past few years.  I mean eerily similar to the point that they both last qualified for the playoffs in 2012.

James River made the playoffs this past season in AA as the #7 seed...Graham beat them in the first round...

And why the heck is John Battle in the Mountain District instead of the Hogoheegee?  Unless I'm missing something along the lines of my Patrick County gaffe above, I've got to think that the Hogo makes a lot more sense for the Trojans in terms of both travel and competition.

OK.  I'll shut up now.

Grayson County has a rich tradition in baseball and from 1988 to (i believe) 2009, lost something like 4 district games total.  They have averaged 2 loses per season since 2009, including several to Galax, a first in school history.  Most see that as a lack of competitiveness within the district dragging them down.  That assessment is probably accurate to be honest.  MED isn't much of a baseball district outside of Grayson County.  Don't underestimate how important baseball is to Grayson County citizens.  The baseball games routinely outdraw football games and, for the most part, by a large margin.

As for James River and East Mont.  James River is significantly larger than any other Pioneer school, especially since Glenvar left the Pioneer for the Three Rivers many years ago.  They view a drop in athletic performance as a lack of competitiveness within the Pioneer.  East Mont will most likely have better success making the playoffs in various sports now that they will be competing against schools of a similar size and ability.

The moral of the story is, the less competition you play, the less competitive you become.

And why the heck is John Battle in the Mountain District instead of the Hogoheegee?  Unless I'm missing something along the lines of my Patrick County gaffe above, I've got to think that the Hogo makes a lot more sense for the Trojans in terms of both travel and competition.

OK.  I'll shut up now.

JSB has been in the Mountain District for a while now. It's just their "home."

JSB has been in the Mountain District for a while now. It's just their "home."

I realize that they are a charter member of the district, but the composition of it has changed dramatically to the point that they are now an outlier in a league that is centered more toward Wise.  And its predecessor (the CMD) was only formed in 2006, so it's not like there is some tremendous history which generates affection.  Unless they're happy there, which is fine.  

To that point, Virginia High has apparently always identified closely with the core of the SWD.  There's no obvious reason behind that, but it appears to be a very tangible concept for the Bearcat admin.

OK, something funky just happened on the board.  I quoted Richlands Alum's big post to make a comment, wrote my comment and posted it and it replaced his entire post with my post.

Not sure how that happened.  And unfortunately, it deleted a fantastic, long post...

OK, something funky just happened on the board.  I quoted Richlands Alum's big post to make a comment, wrote my comment and posted it and it replaced his entire post with my post.

Not sure how that happened.  And unfortunately, it deleted a fantastic, long post...

Not sure that my previous post contributed much to the discussion.  But it was certainly long.  Appreciate the kind thought either way.

To that point, Virginia High has apparently always identified closely with the core of the SWD. There's no obvious reason behind that, but it appears to be a very tangible concept for the Bearcat admin.

I always figured that we'd be a better geographic fit in the Hogo. The problem of course is that every team except Marion is 1A

The VHSL didnt force it, Marion requested to be moved back to the SWD, despite fighting so hard to get into the Hogo. Meanwhile, Marion's principal, is the 2A West chairman and was on the alignment committee.

Sounds like somebody knows something about the new postseason format that we don't...

I would agree. Plus it makes sense from a rivalry standpoint... Them and Gate City absolutely despise one another.

They can still be rivals even in different conferences. Richlands and Union have a definite rivalry and only play in certain sports. But it's quickly becoming one of our main rivals.

"Grayson County has a rich tradition in baseball and from 1988 to (i believe) 2009, lost something like 4 district games total.  They have averaged 2 loses per season since 2009, including several to Galax, a first in school history.  Most see that as a lack of competitiveness within the district dragging them down.  That assessment is probably accurate to be honest.  MED isn't much of a baseball district outside of Grayson County.  Don't underestimate how important baseball is to Grayson County citizens.  The baseball games routinely outdraw football games and, for the most part, by a large margin."

I agree baseball is important in Grayson but lets not get carried away here. They don't outdraw them, especially by a large margin? I think the new district will be interesting for all sports except the travel will be a nightmare. But everyone knows who still pays overall the athletic bills and that's the football program, which yes comes from attendance.