Revised VHSL Districts & Regions

Ryan4VT

"Grayson County has a rich tradition in baseball and from 1988 to (i believe) 2009, lost something like 4 district games total.  They have averaged 2 loses per season since 2009, including several to Galax, a first in school history.  Most see that as a lack of competitiveness within the district dragging them down.  That assessment is probably accurate to be honest.  MED isn't much of a baseball district outside of Grayson County.  Don't underestimate how important baseball is to Grayson County citizens.  The baseball games routinely outdraw football games and, for the most part, by a large margin."

I agree baseball is important in Grayson but lets not get carried away here. They don't outdraw them, especially by a large margin? I think the new district will be interesting for all sports except the travel will be a nightmare. But everyone knows who still pays overall the athletic bills and that's the football program, which yes comes from attendance.

Well when Richlands comes to Grayson Co., you'll be sure to get one of your biggest gates of the year. 

"Grayson County has a rich tradition in baseball and from 1988 to (i believe) 2009, lost something like 4 district games total.  They have averaged 2 loses per season since 2009, including several to Galax, a first in school history.  Most see that as a lack of competitiveness within the district dragging them down.  That assessment is probably accurate to be honest.  MED isn't much of a baseball district outside of Grayson County.  Don't underestimate how important baseball is to Grayson County citizens.  The baseball games routinely outdraw football games and, for the most part, by a large margin."

I agree baseball is important in Grayson but lets not get carried away here. They don't outdraw them, especially by a large margin? I think the new district will be interesting for all sports except the travel will be a nightmare. But everyone knows who still pays overall the athletic bills and that's the football program, which yes comes from attendance.

Speaking of "carried away", athletics as a whole in Grayson County aren't paying any bills!  I was at the Glenvar and Galax games this past season.  Both visiting teams outdrew Grayson from my perspective and Galax outdrew Grayson by a wide margin.

I have been to several baseball games over the past few years where Grayson has had impressive crowds for a sport most schools consider an afterthought.  I will agree with you about the new district alignment.  Travel increases will be substantial when compared to the MED.

Grundy should be in the SWD...don't give a dying rats ASS what anyone else thinks or says.

I absolutely agree as long as they're in 2A.  But, if the rumor is true and they're dropping down to 1A, then the BDD is the best place for them.

That's what is so confusing about the VHSL now... this whole conference/district thing.

Grundy in the BDD but also the SEC.  Lebanon in the SWD, but also the CMC.  Marion in the Hogoheegee, but also the SEC.

Grundy should be in the SWD...don't give a dying rats ASS what anyone else thinks or says.

I'd swap Grundy for Grayson County straight up.  

No offense to the good folks in and around Independence.  In addition to the fact that Grundy was a charter member of the SWD, the addition of Grayson creates some pretty significant travel issues for everybody in the league. If the level of competition is really the motivator, the potential options along the interstate corridors would seem to be just as good if not better. 

I absolutely agree as long as they're in 2A.  But, if the rumor is true and they're dropping down to 1A, then the BDD is the best place for them.

That's what is so confusing about the VHSL now... this whole conference/district thing.

Grundy in the BDD but also the SEC.  Lebanon in the SWD, but also the CMC.  Marion in the Hogoheegee, but also the SEC.

The whole thing has been (and continues to be) communicated very poorly.  While I'm not exactly sure about the intent of the operating model, I think it's set up along the lines of the lower divisions in the NCAA.  In that analogy, the Virginia high school districts are roughly comparable to the college conferences (like the ODAC).  Beyond a mechanism which guarantees a minimum level of scheduled games on a regular basis, they don't mean much more in the grander scheme of things.  Carrying that forward, the Virginia high school conferences form the basis of the competitive structure for overall state championships in much the same way that the Division III regional playoff system works.

At least that's what I think I think.

My cynical side strongly believes that the current "conference" system was deliberately set up to fail.

I have been to several baseball games over the past few years where Grayson has had impressive crowds for a sport most schools consider an afterthought.  I will agree with you about the new district alignment.  Travel increases will be substantial when compared to the MED.

An impressive crowd at a baseball game is nice and I'm glad that there was to support the players. The original point you were making was GC baseball attendance was routinely higher than GC football attendance, not home vs. visiting attendance. But your assessment that there are more people who routinely attend Grayson baseball games (only home fans or combined) than Grayson football games (only home fans or combined) is just simply not accurate. As a lifelong Grayson Co. fan I will continue to support both programs and hope each success.

The whole thing has been (and continues to be) communicated very poorly.  While I'm not exactly sure about the intent of the operating model, I think it's set up along the lines of the lower divisions in the NCAA.  In that analogy, the Virginia high school districts are roughly comparable to the college conferences (like the ODAC).  Beyond a mechanism which guarantees a minimum level of scheduled games on a regular basis, they don't mean much more in the grander scheme of things.  Carrying that forward, the Virginia high school conferences form the basis of the competitive structure for overall state championships in much the same way that the Division III regional playoff system works.

At least that's what I think I think.

My cynical side strongly believes that the current "conference" system was deliberately set up to fail.

I like to think that Grayson County was added in homage to the days of old when Carroll County was in the SWD, and everyone griped annually about the 2.5 hour trips to Hillsville.  Good times.

An impressive crowd at a baseball game is nice and I'm glad that there was to support the players. The original point you were making was GC baseball attendance was routinely higher than GC football attendance, not home vs. visiting attendance. But your assessment that there are more people who routinely attend Grayson baseball games (only home fans or combined) than Grayson football games (only home fans or combined) is just simply not accurate. As a lifelong Grayson Co. fan I will continue to support both programs and hope each success.

Semantics aside, Grayson's athletic programs have taken a nosedive since my playing days and those of my brother.  In terms of community support, administrative support, student involvement, coaching, facilities and on-field product, I hate to see it for the kids who are involved.  Many of whom, I know personally.  Grayson produces some fine athletes who deserve better facilities and support than what they receive.  

From an outside perspective, it's easy to see what is lacking.  Then again, I have been away from Grayson County for the better part of 24 years.

As far as Grayson nosedive in sports that is way off.....regardless of the financial situation and terrible admin and severley declining enrollment  they have been pretty competitive.....football program has 33 wins the past 5 years ....not world beaters  but solid....1 losing season during  past years...... regular season records of 9-1,8-2,5-5,3-7,6-4   again not world beaters but overall 5 year mark MANY schools would gladly have.   As far as baseball  it does get by far the most attention....... still 1 state championship almost 20 years ago, but out-drawing football that is absolutley untrue and not even close......the baseball team barely outdraws the soccer team.   Basketball program until the past 3 seasons had some really good years also.Boys   Tennis team was State runner-up last year, and state-semis in 2014

Grundy and Graham have been near or at the same level for years...they are either too big for A or too small for AA...pick or choose...if they make the cut at AA by the numbers they should both be in the SWD...I've hated every single second of Grundy not being in the SWD and will continue to do so until it's back...if that never happens then so be it...but, it still sucks.

As far as Grayson nosedive in sports that is way off.....regardless of the financial situation and terrible admin and severley declining enrollment  they have been pretty competitive.....football program has 33 wins the past 5 years ....not world beaters  but solid....1 losing season during  past years...... regular season records of 9-1,8-2,5-5,3-7,6-4   again not world beaters but overall 5 year mark MANY schools would gladly have.   As far as baseball  it does get by far the most attention....... still 1 state championship almost 20 years ago, but out-drawing football that is absolutley untrue and not even close......the baseball team barely outdraws the soccer team.   Basketball program until the past 3 seasons had some really good years also.Boys   Tennis team was State runner-up last year, and state-semis in 2014

How far did those 9-1 and 8-2 football teams get come playoff time?  Beating Bland and Alleghany, NC don't prepare you for Dan River and Richlands!

No argument with you there sixcat... I was addressing your comment of a "nose-dive", obviously tons of room for improvement......they won playoff games in 2011 and 2012.....2011 was first since 1991 so don't see real drop-off.....also defeated Clintwood,Galax,Gretna,Fort Chiswell  during period.   Girls B-ball and Volleyball both had outstanding seasons last year.   Just stating I think overall athletic program has held there own in face of huge enrollement drop, a much tougher MED espcially from 2010-2015 and all the financial and admin turbulence.  Just felt your comment of a "nose-dive" was not supported by facts.    Grayson has struggled in the play-offs in just about every sport other than a few occasions in Baseball.  Lots of serious issues need to be addressed.

You are spot-on about lots of issues.  I hope they get it fixed.  It just seems the same problems resurface every few years.  The week I graduated, the lead story in the Gazette and Declaration was about the former superintendent being charged with embezzlement and taking his family on lavish vacations to the Bahamas, Aruba and Bermuda by using school system funds.  That was 24 years ago and it has happened more than a half dozen times since.  Grayson tends to be a very insular county as a whole so change, any change, wont be easy and will be met with strong resistance.  For the sake of the kids and the school system, I hope they have the right people in place to finally get these issues resolved.  

Competing in the SWD will force them to either be non-competitive in a lot of sports or raise the level of support and allow the athletic programs to grow much like Graham coming into the MED forced Galax and Fort Chiswell to raise the bar.

I understand completely, but this time its for good. The decrease in enrollment and the good 'ol days of Grundy being in the SWD are over unless, the entire SWD eventually loses enrollment and it becomes primarily a 1A district. 

I don't see consolidation in the future, even though it should probably be on the table, that is one thing that could put em back in the SWD.

IF they go to 1A then they are where they have to be in the BDD, but if they stay 2A for whatever reason, they should be in the SWD. 

They should have never been put in the BDD in the first place as a 2A school...Christian Jackson should have been on one of the "all something" teams this year, kid is all state caliber WR and DB but got nothing.

I thought the entire point of the VHSL changes was to force people to play where they are classified...then you see the SWD get busted up and Grundy stuck in a 1A district as a 2A team. Why bother?  8 to 10 team SWD would solve a lot of problems...and as that goes, the VHSL should go back to the format where winning your district gets you in to the playoffs, then points for the remaining slots...this crap with 1-9 teams going to play 10-0 teams in first round is a waste, not everyone should make the playoffs or have that shot only the best of the bunch. Larger 8+ team districts would breed better competition at a local level, remove schedule issue, and restore traditional rivals...but, whatever...VHSL never has done anything right so why start now.

IF they go to 1A then they are where they have to be in the BDD, but if they stay 2A for whatever reason, they should be in the SWD. 

They should have never been put in the BDD in the first place as a 2A school...Christian Jackson should have been on one of the "all something" teams this year, kid is all state caliber WR and DB but got nothing.

I thought the entire point of the VHSL changes was to force people to play where they are classified...then you see the SWD get busted up and Grundy stuck in a 1A district as a 2A team. Why bother?  8 to 10 team SWD would solve a lot of problems...and as that goes, the VHSL should go back to the format where winning your district gets you in to the playoffs, then points for the remaining slots...this crap with 1-9 teams going to play 10-0 teams in first round is a waste, not everyone should make the playoffs or have that shot only the best of the bunch. Larger 8+ team districts would breed better competition at a local level, remove schedule issue, and restore traditional rivals...but, whatever...VHSL never has done anything right so why start now.

Yeah or how they put  Marion in the Hogoheegee a few years after they remove Lebanon and John Battle from the the Hogo due to enrollment numbers compared to the rest of the district. That's like putting Virginia High in the Cumberland or Richlands in the BDD.

• 1 month later...

The Galax Gazette ran a retraction on an article it ran a few weeks ago about Grayson moving to the SWD.  According to the retraction, public outcry has led Grayson to reverse course and remain in the MED.  

It was also reported that many parents aren't pleased with the direction of the girl's athletic programs at Galax and major changes are looming.

The Galax Gazette ran a retraction on an article it ran a few weeks ago about Grayson moving to the SWD.  According to the retraction, public outcry has led Grayson to reverse course and remain in the MED.  

It was also reported that many parents aren't pleased with the direction of the girl's athletic programs at Galax and major changes are looming.

Was travel the deal killer for Grayson to the SWD?  Just curious.

It seems like this sort of thing is done a lot in Virginia.  Is this unusual in other states?  I don't read about it happening a lot anywhere else.  Could be wrong about that, but it seems to happen in Southwest Va. every year.

I have a feeling that the "deal killer" was the fact that Grayson was going to have some big-time growing pains going up against the likes of Richlands and Abingdon as opposed to the likes of Bland and Narrows.  Heaven forbid the kids have a few losing seasons and hurt their wittwe feewings.  With the massive upgrade Grayson just made to its football program, and the upgrade in competition (and therefore mettle), it's two steps forward and a half-mile back.

I have a feeling that the "deal killer" was the fact that Grayson was going to have some big-time growing pains going up against the likes of Richlands and Abingdon as opposed to the likes of Bland and Narrows.  Heaven forbid the kids have a few losing seasons and hurt their wittwe feewings.  With the massive upgrade Grayson just made to its football program, and the upgrade in competition (and therefore mettle), it's two steps forward and a half-mile back.

^^^What he said^^^

The original article, the one retracted, stated coaches and administrators felt the upgrade in competition would be in the long term benefit to the school.  Playing the likes of Narrows and Bland doesn't really prepare you for playoff games against the likes of Giles (42-12) and Richlands (63-7), the last two playoff football losses for Grayson.  The girls programs are consistently winning 20 games in volleyball and basketball and getting crushed come playoff time.  

I know some disagree but I still see the driving force behind the move to the SWD was baseball.  Grayson isn't close to being the dominant program it was a decade ago.

Competition breeds competition!