Potential Future Out of State Students at Gate City

RebRaider85

OK, this is a slow season for conversation so I thought I'd throw something out that I've been wondering about. Sullivan County TN is planning a new high school located near Tri-Cities Airort that will replace Sullivan North, Sullivan South, and a significant portion of the Sullivan Central population. This location is not too bad for most of the South and Central residents but it is FAR from Bloomingdale which is where most of the North population comes from. Lots of the North families are talking about sending their kids to Gate City. Could be 100 to 200 kids even if people really get up in arms. Now this has been going on to a small degree even since I was in school in the 80's but I was wondering if a large influx like that would raise eyebrows. From what I understand, TN residents are generally allowed to attend free of charge because it increases the headcount which means more money from the state. This would not happen till 2019.

Why in the hell would they build a school near Tri-Cities airport and send the North kids to it???   That's the most ignorant thing I've ever heard of.  I don't blame the North parents for being pissed off.  There is no easy route for those kids to take to get to school.  Sounds like the Sullivan Co. officials are as bad with geography as the VHSL is...especially if the school is being built near the airport.

I would say Sullivan expects Kingsport City to annex more of the land around Bloomingdale as a reason to not try to close the gap between North/Central/South and pull those students into DB.

But, is Kingsport going to do that?  If so, before the new school is built?  After the new school is built?  Never???

Sounds like a giant fluster cluck to me...

It's really not fair to the kids at North in my opinion. But I don't suppose they really care about what those kids at North think....It's like they are the black sheep of Sullivan County and always have been. Location of the school is mind boggling. Might as well just level Traders Village and build the school there. Would be closer to a happy medium for everyone than the airport location.

But as for the possible 100-200 students that may try to come to GC.....even if eyebrows are raised I don't really see much else that will come of it. I don't blame them for not wanting to drive all the way go the airport to school every day...that's a 35-45 minute haul.

The biggest concern for the new Sullivan County school location is to find an area that will not wind up in the city of Kingsport. Huge chunks of the Sullivan South, Sullivan North area have already been annexed by Kingsport. This a big reason for the school consolidation. Just look at the fact that Sullivan North high school will eventually become a middle school for the city of Kingsport. Another problem for the county is that there are three separate school systems within the county, Bristol, Kingsport and Sullivan County. Throw in the decrease in population in Sullivan County and you can see how the county can only afford one new school.

These things always upset people and rightly so, but we might as well get used to it because it is the wave of the future. There is just not enough industry to bring and keep families with school aged children to the Mountain Empire anymore.  

With that being said, I agree, Sullivan County's loss, Gate City's gain. They could find themselves moving up to AAA with their friends from Abingdon. Now that would be fun.

I'm sure there will be some, but I can't see 100-200. I honestly couldn't blame them though. They can be at GC in 10 minutes as opposed 30-40 to the airport. I've had a few at the Big E tell me in the past that they'd send their kids to GC before they'd send them to Dobyns-Bennett though. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

But, is Kingsport going to do that?  If so, before the new school is built?  After the new school is built?  Never???

Sounds like a giant fluster cluck to me...

Before the new school is built?  Probably not.  Kingsport City has been in discussions with Sullivan County to purchase North to be a new middle school for DB, so I think they would most likely try to annex the area to have the school fall within city limits.

DB does offer a ton of academic options. However, it is the "big school" atmosphere that turns off a lot of parents. DB provides more of a small college atmosphere with around 2,000 students. 

No idea how many students might eventually cross the line and come to Gate City, but the informal policy is pretty much anyone from anywhere can attend school in Scott County without tuition, as long as the school does not have to hire additional teachers. 100 additional students wanting to attend GC would necessitate additional teachers being hired, plus not sure the school would have room for 100 more students. 

To answer a few questions raised...

The North school itself has actually been in the city limits since the school was first opened in 1980 but the students themselves were county residents. Kingsport has annexed about 1/2 of the former North territory and maybe about 1/3 of the former South territory. They won't be annexing any more of Bloomingdale. They got what they wanted from that area years ago. The North folks shot themselves in the foot as the first proposal was to send the North kids to South just across town. They raised a huge fuss and so a long term study was done which took into account ALL county school buildings and the end result was a conclusion that two high schools (essentially West/East) was the way to go. The Airport location is actually the geographic center of the student population for the West school. This was all driven by Kingsports annexation since the early 1990's. When this decision was made is when the Gate City talk started. I have a friend with kids at Yuma Elementary and he said he would not be surprised if that school didn't have 30-40% Tennessee kids coming from Hawkins county which is very close. I think the HC elementary school for that area is further away. I didn't think space would be a problem for GC as my family over there has talked about how many less students there are there now compared to 30 years ago.