Why is SWVA More Successful Than NETN?

V-Cats

Back in the 60's and 70's there were plenty of NETN teams playing SWVA teams. In 1979 or so was when all the school consolidation happened in NETN and those new schools with populations of 1500+ were really too big to be scheduling Powell Valley/Appy/GC. During that time most of the NETN schools were in the Big 10 conference and therefore only had one non-conference game each year so there wasn't even much flexibility in scheduling. In 1991 Kingsport annexed half of Norths territory so it got cut down to about 700 real quick and started scheduling teams in SWVA regularly. South didn't start playing GC until Souths population started dropping too. They will probably be between 700 to 800 students over the next couple years.

I'll be seeing a lot of SWVA games this year. Will be trying to make several trips to Union to see a kid I go to church with play his Senior year.

If your wanting to see some good SWVA football this year......Union, Richlands, Abingdon, and maybe Ridgeview will probably be your best bet. Richlands and Abingdon especially. Not sure what to expect this year from Union or Ridgeview.

If your wanting to see some good SWVA football this year......Union, Richlands, Abingdon, and maybe Ridgeview will probably be your best bet. Richlands and Abingdon especially. Not sure what to expect this year from Union or Ridgeview.

I would expect us to be about like last year again, really.  Probably a middle of the pack seeded playoff team.  Not 100% sure what the schedule will look like, but the only tough road games should be Gate City and possibly Honaker if we pick them up again this year.  Union has to come to the Ridge this year as well as Paintsville.  Kash Daniel graduates from Paintsville and he's a huge loss for them.  Playing Jenkins again the first game will not help matters any as far as power points.  The QB we have comes back again next season and will have learned a lot and be better prepared after taking over mid season last year.  

If this years Union @ Richlands game is anything like the last 4, it'll be another game of the year candidate in SWVA. All those two schools know how to do in sports is produce classics.

If this years Union @ Richlands game is anything like the last 4, it'll be another game of the year candidate in SWVA. All those two schools know how to do in sports is produce classics.[/quote

I think they should just start playing twice a year from now on, why not. But it may finish off my nerves though.