How well do these designations actually help?

If I may pose what may be a dumb question, how, if at all, well do these highway designations work for areas such as ours?  States in the article that it would as bring jobs along with increased tourism to the area.  Are they more likely to spend more on buying signs that most won't even notice much and maintaining them (especially considering how often highway signs are damaged) or do these really bring extra attention?

http://www.heraldcourier.com/news/local/scenic-drive-loop-would-bring-attention-to-natural-treasures-in/article_ec1a0f45-dea8-5abb-994d-461c62a512bf.html

https://legiscan.com/VA/bill/HB41

I don't think they really help that much. It's just a token thing politicians do to make it look like they are "doing something". They make an arbitrary "loop" with a secondary road and a couple of primary routes, so what?

Galax and the surrounding cimmunities can be an example of how much this type of thing can revitalize an area. This community lost 6,000 manufacturing jobs in the early 2000's. These types of ideas brought The Blue Ridge Music Center, Rex Theater, Chestnut Creek School of the Arts which has expanded twice in the past 5 years, Crooked Road, Artisan Trails, The Stage at Felts Park and the New River State Park to name a few.

Those ideas led to all of the new restaurants, shopping and other businesses being developed over the past decade, including my employer.

Just because the fruits of these labors aren't as easily seen as a 600 employee factory doesn't mean they aren't equally important. Visit Galax if you haven't in a while. You will find a community thriving in spite of its seclusion by thinking outside the box.

The Crooked Road, Daniel Boone Trail, Country Music highway, Wilderness Road, Natural Tunnel, Trail of the Lonesome Pine, Virginia Coal Heritage Trail, etc., just a few I can think of here.  It may attract and benefit greatly, I don't know...always been curious as to the actual impacts, living here we often overlook these things as they are a part of daily routines.

Same here, they are easily overlooked. I know without these things, it wouldn't be possible for my wife or I to live here. Our jobs depend upon them.

When I was in high school 25 years ago, most of the downtown storefronts were empty and abandoned. Now they are all full, renovated, bustling and vibrant.

More could definitely be done around Natural Tunnel.  The park itself stays very busy for the most part.  The campground is rarely not 3/4 full when opened.  Opportunity is there around the park and Clinch River IMO.  You may hear how busy they are down at the stateline with canoe trips and the restuarant at River Place on the Clinch.  The tunnel maximizes time along with Clinch in the summer with snorkeling and canoeing opportunities.

More could definitely be done around Natural Tunnel.  The park itself stays very busy for the most part.  The campground is rarely not 3/4 full when opened.  Opportunity is there around the park and Clinch River IMO.  You may hear how busy they are down at the stateline with canoe trips and the restuarant at River Place on the Clinch.  The tunnel maximizes time along with Clinch in the summer with snorkeling and canoeing opportunities.

I need to visit that park one of these days... thought about that the other day driving by the road that turns down there.