GC to GC?

I think the program is in need of a fresh start and I don't think that it really matters, they need a good young coach with a steel set of b***s. The team has deep infighting and division and needs to be cleaned up and for the first time I don't think a whole lot matters other than change. Three of the four finalist are thirty something up and comers, I want the Graham guy myself, as long as it isn't Jeremy.

If Akers was to get the Gate City job, you will see a return to the ground and pound.  That is if he doesn't change up his offense.  At Rural Retreat he runs a split back field, veer oriented. Loves the option with a quick/fast QB.  Short quick passes slants, flats. He has been pretty good with it a RR.

The '03 GC State Title Team ran the option to perfection, Isaiah Spivey was a man among boys running it. He could throw too, In fact he sat the record for completion pct. in a title game 9-10 and two TD's. I believe that team had three backs over 1000 yards. The blocking on the option it simple and the offense can be lethal ran correctly. 

I'd love to see Todd get it.  Doubt he will though, Fort Chiswell went 0-10 his first season last year...

Fort is rebuilding and their struggles shouldn't be a reflection on Todds ability, but I see what your saying. It would be a hard sell for the GC faithful.

Ask any Graham fan on the board, when a coach allows fundamentals to be neglected, it takes years to recover from.  This is the case with Fort Chiswell.  When James left for Pulaski and Tom Hale was hired, the seeds were sewn for the next three or four years.  Redtiger is absolutely correct, Fort's current state shouldn't be a reflection of Tiller's coaching ability.  He is essentially starting from scratch!

Things aren't as doom and gloom as what most want to paint. GC won a state championship 6 years ago and was in the state quarterfinals 2 years ago. Folks seem to forget that with just a tad of defense last year, we would've won 4-5 more games. They also fought Bluefield and Union tooth and nail. The program is fine. Back away from the ledge.

I'm not on a ledge, but the program has tight roped the ledge for the last five seasons. Offensively serviceable, Defensively challenged until the defense improves drastically the wins aren't going to come: we play to many teams that runs the spread and have learned our weaknesses and exploit them to a tee, they have figured out all they have to do is stay close and in the second half the D always folds.   

I dont think great coaches take 3-5 years to turn a program around.  Great coaches turn it around very quickly.  Decent coaches turn it around as fast as they have above average talent and bad coaches just turn it in the ground no matter what.

It takes a couple of years. Comfort in a new coaches system takes at least a year, weight room gains take 2 years to manifest, it takes a year for a coach to truly grasp his players abilities. For a good coach a program should advance in the 2nd year, by year 3 theres no excuse for being bad(not great sure but not bad).

GC has these down years every 6-7 years and everyone acts like the sky is falling. GC will be at the front of the MD this season assuming their new coach is worth his salt, and dominant in another year or two.

GC does struggle with Spread teams(a major reason PV went to the spread back in the day was to beat GC and it worked). Idk if that's defensive philosophy, lack of adequate 7on7 reps, lack of diversified competition in middle school/JV or what but its always been a fact. Whoever the new coach is will have to address that glaring issue

Thank you redtiger, it is all of the above in the reason department. The former staff never made a point to go see if the rest of the system developed or not, I don't if it was just blind trust, false hope or if they just didn't care anymore.

Take the 94 season out of the equation, markham, the god father of the double wing, usually improves things in about 3 years.

The same double wing that has had turnaround success story after story.

Mance's first year, he was 3-7 and his third year was 2-8.  However, in his second year he was 9-3 (8-2 regular season, 1-1 in playoffs). In his fourth season, he was 5-5.  (Mance has only the two referenced losing seasons in his HC career since 1997 at RHS.)

I think what he did in his second season was a huge block builder and a motivator for what he wanted to accomplish at Richlands. 

However, as the Mayor said it takes time to develop a program...

Im not saying a great coach equals state titles in 2 years, but great coaches turn programs around in 1-2 year because they put a stamp on their program day 1 from top to bottom. You see results year one because of it no matter their talent because they pick up very quickly what they have to work with and how to use to most effectively.

Roger Morris had one of the best program turnarounds I've seen.  Lee High's baseball program had never seen a winning season, three 8 win seasons in the early 90s was as good as it got.  From 2000-04, there was a 4 win season and the other 4 seasons seen no more than 2 wins in any.  In his first two years Lee won 7 games each season and in the 3rd came a 14 win year and the first ever winning season.  He retired just a couple of years later, with a 5 win and 8 win season to finish off.  I can distinctly remember reading a quote in the Powell Valley paper after the first year and how surprised he was a the sheer lack of simple fundamentals with the players and how he was going to be challenged to correct that.  That was quite a turnaround.