My friend Mike wrote this on Facebook

On April 15th, our daughter's fiancé died suddenly of a heart attack caused by an undiagnosed genetic condition. We were just six months from the celebration that would officially make him part of our family and we are heartbroken for Katelin, Joe's family, and everyone mourning this tremendous loss.

Joseph DeWitt was a special man. He did things right.

He served others. He was a hard worker. A great leader. A man of high character with a humble spirit. He was the definition of a true gentleman. Respectful. Honorable. He put Katelin on a pedestal. He showed deference to our family and we admired him for it. Joe was raised well. He knew how to treat a lady. He demonstrated these values in his relationship with Katelin and lived a life that honored his family and his Lord. Thank you Lisa & Brendon, for raising such a man.

It was Joe's faith and devotion to Jesus Christ that motivated all of these things. He didn't have to talk a lot about it -- he lived it -- and people just knew there was something different about him.

Even so, he DID talk about his beliefs...because I *made* him talk about them!

When they were just friends, I challenged Katelin with questions and reminded her about things she should be sure to look for when considering someone who may be a "potential future husband". As their friendship grew, we were so pleasantly surprised when Joe asked Diana and me for permission just to date Katelin. From the beginning, we were very comfortable with our daughter spending time with this unique young man. We would ask often and Katelin would describe their relationship - the routine of fellowship with other Christian believers, bible studies together, and deep talks about faith and God's calling on their lives. She took seriously the prospect of what a life in the military might be like and she told me "I feel closest to the Lord when I am outside of my comfort zone. I know being away from my family will be hard, but I believe I am ready to serve God wherever in the world He would have us go."

Joe and I had "man to man" conversations over breakfast & lunch and then there was the big discussion last year, aka, "the asking for our daughter's hand in marriage talk". For each meeting, I came prepared to grill Joe with the tough questions that every father has for the guy pursuing his daughter. And each time, I walked away impressed. Amazed even. We had a genuine peace and confidence knowing that this man was for real, he will put the Lord first in their marriage, and we have nothing to worry about. This was the one that God had chosen to be with our daughter for life.

Diana and I are so thankful that Katelin and Joe found each other. We have been truly humbled to watch these young people live out God's design for a relationship and we are blessed to have been a part of their love story for the past two and a half years. We now hold on to Hope, knowing that Joe is with his Savior, and we have surely experienced "the peace which surpasses all understanding".

After hearing the news about Joe, Diana and I started the drive through the middle of the night to get to our girls in Blacksburg. At the start of the trip, there was a bright white moon, nearly full, in the clear dark sky above us. I noticed how striking it was and pointed it out to Diana. An hour later, it reappeared before us, this time much lower to the ground. The moon had turned a deep shade of red and sat along the horizon at the end of the distant road before us...as I stared at this beautiful scene, God brought to mind an old song from my favorite band:

U2 - "One Tree Hill"

The moon is up and over One Tree Hill

We see the sun go down in your eyes.

You run like a river on to the sea

You run like a river runs to the sea.

I'll see you again when the stars fall from the sky

And the moon has turned red over One Tree Hill.

And when it's raining hard

That's when the rain will break a heart.

Thank you, Joe. Mrs. P. and I were really looking forward to having you join our family...and welcoming you as our son. We will remember you always...and we will see you again.

13139371_10206143632291284_7779675146906

Pic:  Joseph DeWitt (l), Mike Petrusky (m), Katelin Petrusky ®