Chris Akers named Gate City Head Football Coach

Amen Ryan! Unfortunately that's one of the downfalls of a large fan base. There are a lot more fair weather fans than at other places. He deserves a chance to show what he's about.

We know all about that lol. If we aren't scoring 42 points a game, the sky is falling. And the worlds worst is when we get to the state semis and lose in OT to an undefeated team and suddenly Mance should be fired. Makes NO sense.

Glad too see the good ole boys go outside the House rights too hire a new coach, Ayers is a good fit and I love the idea of not hiring any of the old staff, the program was stale with way too much bullying by the coaches--well done school board. Robbie Norris is a great coach and is a great Christian who leads by example of disinclined coaching and love of his kids, he wins their hearts and they win him games.

He said he wouldn't know what he runs until he sees what he has. Hopefully we won't be running 135 lb running backs up the middle 35 times a game. Sounds like he had a good crowd this morning.

He said he wouldn't know what he runs until he sees what he has. Hopefully we won't be running 135 lb running backs up the middle 35 times a game. Sounds like he had a good crowd this morning.

IMO that political talk, he knows what he knows and that got him where he is, anything other than what he can teach is a disservice to GC.

Don't know his background though

I will wager anyone on this board that the GC faithful are ready to crucify the new coach by the 3rd game...unless they are 3-0.  In that case, I will wager that GC overtakes Richlands as the loudest voices on this site!  That GC bandwagon is HUGE in the good times...not so much in the leaner periods.

The Blue Devil faithful have endured the worst five year stretch in program history. The 29-28 record is only trumped by the 1463 points give up during that time span, when you are going through a spell like that, anybody's fan's from anybody's team would be quiet. The fan base is still Huge, but humility is best observed in a quiet place with your own thoughts. The talent is there albeit freshman and sophomores, the Devils will be back.  

I graduated with Chris in 1999.  He's a good guy and comes from a good family.  Knowing a few people from RR they said he didn't play politics.  If you deserved to play then you played no matter who you were.  On the other hand I've also heard a few of them say they would be more than happy for him to leave.  I personally think he will do good things for GC if given the chance.

The Blue Devil faithful have endured the worst five year stretch in program history. The 29-28 record is only trumped by the 1463 points give up during that time span, when you are going through a spell like that, anybody's fan's from anybody's team would be quiet. The fan base is still Huge, but humility is best observed in a quiet place with your own thoughts. The talent is there albeit freshman and sophomores, the Devils will be back.  

Graham went through about a 5 year span where they probably gave up nearly 2000 points...got a little better last year, but Defense still needs to step up.  Need more people to be physical and run through their tackles and quit trying to drag people to the ground.  Bad habits are hard to break.... I'm hoping the biggest improvement for Graham this season will be on the defensive side of the ball.  Offense should be on point and very talented.... Defense, jury is still out....they've been out since about 2005.....

I have a feeling that if Graham gets the defensive side of the ball halfway decent, they will make a good run this year.

Gate City seems to be in a similar situation, need to be patient.  If Akers is the right man for the job, it may take a couple of years....don't run him out of town after one season.

Most GC folks that I have talked and have met him love him already. You can't put high expectations on him with only having 3 months until season starts. I don't care a bit to lose as long as there's an effort from everyone. That includes coaches, players, and fan support. Too many times in the past we've just showed up and gone through the motions. This cat wants to win and I like it.

If the bunch of clowns that hung around the team don't want to be there get out, and get out now. We have seen what the former staff can do, and more notably what they can't do, which is win, and also can't coach up the players. I bet Coach Akers knows more than enough people, between all his coaching stops, to fill a staff at GC. Now if it is August and still don't have enough coaches then it is a problem. All he has to do is ask the fans from the stands if they would like to help, and with all the coaches we have just sitting there, I'd bet we'd have fifty volunteer.

The guy just started. Rome wasn't built in one day. GC may not be like the greats of the past right off but if he is the real deal, GC will be back in due time. If a bunch of players quit now then their hearts weren't in it to begin with. If it's one person I don't like in any group, it's a quitter.

The previous staff can't win? They were in the regional final 2 years ago and had the ball at the end with a chance to win. Last year was a tough year, but that schedule is murders row and that was a very young team.