Chris Akers named Gate City Head Football Coach

Lack of depth and conditioning cost us at least 4 games last year. We had Union down by 14 in the 4th quarter, played toe to toe with Bluefield and South, and I still don't know what the heck happened at Ridgeview. GC will be fine.

Lack of depth and conditioning cost us at least 4 games last year. We had Union down by 14 in the 4th quarter, played toe to toe with Bluefield and South, and I still don't know what the heck happened at Ridgeview. GC will be fine.

Collier kept throwing the ball to Austin Reynolds... that's what happened at Ridgeview.  Lol.

All I know is I'm ready for the fresh new start at GC. Dont really know anything about Akers....but a new attitude around GC that will make kids want to come out and play is what the Blue Devils need. Excited to see what this guy can bring to the table with some of the talent that's at GC. Searching the hallways used to be a thing when I was in school....coaches would walk up and ask kids if they wanted to play and tried to get them on the field whether or not they had ever even played football in their life. Not sure if the coaches still do that anymore....but just letting kids come to you doesn't always work.

He's apparently very strict and believes in discipline. I also heard he's very good at "recruiting" the halls. Folks don't realize, we were 23 points away last year from being 8-2 instead of 3-7. Five of those games were a difference of 8 points of less, and 2 or 3 of those were lost in the last minute. If we can get a good line formed, I think we'll be fine. If kids are fired up during workouts like they have been, then the roof should blow off of the field house in August.

My sister met him the other day at the school, said he was super excited, couldn't quit talking about the opportunity to coach at GC. He wanted to know if my sister and brother-in-law had any boys (my brother-in-law is 6-3 and 280) he was disappointed when she said yes, but then he found out he is only 6. Here's to better days and the future.

The morale inside the fieldhouse is very high. Akers is establishing himself very well. He is certainly a firm believer in disipline which GC was in need of and he strongly believes in conditioning which costed us a few game last season. He's only held 5 workout sessions since taking over and the kids are buying in 100%. He's a very upbeat person with a lot energy. I'm excited to see what we can do this fall.

Having coaches in the hall is more important than people realize. Happy to hear that Akers likes to do that. Also glad to hear he is excited to be at GC. 

I'm hearing a little different story about the kid's morale, but it is way too early to see how things will work out. 

Apparently kids are no longer allowed to wear jerseys to school on pep rally, game days. Will be expected to wear a tie.

Not sure if conditioning, or lack of depth, hurt us the most last year. Obviously lack of depth, and having kids play a lot of minutes, leads to some tired kids at the end of games. Honestly, our depth last year was almost non-existent. 

Some assistant coaches declined the opportunity to coach with him. At least two have accepted the offer. 

BTW...........apparently it was not the Sullivan North coach who was offered the job first. I'm hearing that it was a coach from Sullivan South who was offered the job initially. Apparently Jeremy Houseright was told he was the second choice. First coach turned the job down, and then Jeremy was not offered the job.

Tensions are pretty high right now. 

Apparently kids are no longer allowed to wear jerseys to school on pep rally, game days. Will be expected to wear a tie.

Not sure if conditioning, or lack of depth, hurt us the most last year. Obviously lack of depth, and having kids play a lot of minutes, leads to some tired kids at the end of games. Honestly, our depth last year was almost non-existent.

Sounds...Carlockian.

Having coaches in the hall is more important than people realize. Happy to hear that Akers likes to do that. Also glad to hear he is excited to be at GC.

I'm hearing a little different story about the kid's morale, but it is way too early to see how things will work out.

Some assistant coaches declined the opportunity to coach with him. At least two have accepted the offer.

BTW...........apparently it was not the Sullivan North coach who was offered the job first. I'm hearing that it was a coach from Sullivan South who was offered the job initially. Apparently Jeremy Houseright was told he was the second choice. First coach turned the job down, and then Jeremy was not offered the job.

Tensions are pretty high right now.

Dress shirt and tie on game days is 100% correct. The basketball team does it and look at their success. Akers is establishing disipline, if you don't play football because you have to wear a tie on game days then your selfish and sounds like you don't want to give 110% for the team. Akers will clean up a lot of BS. If players aren't fully dedicated then they won't be playing for him this fall.

I think somebody has their wires crossed. I've been told numerous times, by more than one person, that every assistant will be there except Jeremy. I've also talked to a few parents that said their kids loved the new coach. Goodness let's support the man and see what he can do.

I think somebody has their wires crossed. I've been told numerous times, by more than one person, that every assistant will be there except Jeremy. I've also talked to a few parents that said their kids loved the new coach. Goodness let's support the man and see what he can do.

Exactly. That's part of the problem anyways. Fans not wanting to give the guy a chance to prove himself. He's a new coach from the outside, things will be done differently. At least this coach isn't trying to change the mascot to the "Silver Bullets" or change the school colors to the same blue as Powell Valley *gag*. He simply wants his team to look presentable on gameday. No one has complained about Scotty doing it for all these years, why start on Akers?

I am all for giving the guy a chance. 100% behind him. 

Just telling you what I have heard. Same things you guys are doing. 

Emotions/Tensions are high right now. I would expect things to continue to settle down, and 99% of the fans/players will end up supporting Akers. GC has had what....5 head football coaches in school history? We don't exactly have a history of running new coaches out of town. :)

Scotty has his kids wear ties to the games before they put on uniforms. Was not aware that he has them wear them to school the day of games. Does he ask them to do this?

Discipline and respect are what is missing from most of the young people under 35, they live in such an entitlement generation that how dare you ask me to do something I don't want to. The kids know that if I can't get my way here, that the parents will put them in a car and drive to the next school and if that doesn't work go to the next one, just to avoid conflict with junior. In life there are enablers or disciplinarians, I am glad I grew up with the latter, because I would have been a mess with the other. I feel that the uniform sometimes at GC is viewed as a "blank check" to do whatever you want to, but it is time to put the honor and respect back into the blue jersey. As far as the conditioning goes that has been slack for years, nothing wrong with running the bleachers on a ninety degree day, the players are young and can do it, and besides what is better after a hard days workout, than a good night's sleep. Maybe if the players are sleeping they can't get into trouble. 

Ugh the generation debate..

It all stems back to the super self entitlement and pure selfishness of the baby booms, In sales and Ive never seen a more useless generation.

Now they are reaping the seeds of their pathetic generation that had everything handed to them from the greatest gen.

Discipline and respect are what is missing from most of the young people under 35, they live in such an entitlement generation that how dare you ask me to do something I don't want to. The kids know that if I can't get my way here, that the parents will put them in a car and drive to the next school and if that doesn't work go to the next one, just to avoid conflict with junior. In life there are enablers or disciplinarians, I am glad I grew up with the latter, because I would have been a mess with the other...

Dear C. Montgomery Burns,

I have a bookshelf on the left wall of my office.  On that bookshelf rest 27 binders.  Those binders correspond to the clients I have who are facing felonies.  Of those 27 binders, 20 are those of people over that magical age of 35.  Another 2 of those are older than I am but younger than 35.  Lack of discipline and respect is by no means a generational thing.  It's a human thing.  Ages are largely irrelevant.

I am perplexed at the ridicule heaped on Generation Y by Baby Boomers and Generation X.  

Baby Boomers have so completely mismanaged their assets that a large number of them cannot or will not retire, which keeps Generation X from moving up and Generation Y from filling Generation X's shoes.  That is the largest contributor, without even a close 2nd, to the rampant unemployment that exists among Generation Y.  Without the prospect of employment or upward mobility, Generation Y is stuck in a holding pattern of despair.  But they grumble about how "lazy" the "kids" are.  Yet it's Generation Y's fault.

Generation X raised Generation Y.  Last time I checked, it was the parents' job to instill values and morality into their children.  I don't think that's changed.  It's Generation X that is too weak to put its foot down when their Generation Y children want to play high school hopscotch so they can get some playing time on Friday nights.  It's Generation X that refuses to learn how technology works, and therefore cannot adequately supervise their children when they get on Snapchat, Kik, or another medium that is beyond Generation X.  Yet it's Generation Y's fault.

Maybe it's that Generation Y doesn't want to do something because so many Baby Boomers and Generation X don't deserve the unwarranted respect that's been heaped upon them.  Maybe it's because Generation Y wants to understand the "why" of doing something, and the Baby Boomers and Generation X are fixated on the "how".  Generation Y has its delicate little snowflakes, just like Generation X has it's out-of-touch yuppies and the Baby Boomers have their out-of-touch curmudgeons.  It takes all kinds of kinds

Signed,

Undisciplined, Disrespectful 30-Year-Old

Ugh the generation debate..

It all stems back to the super self entitlement and pure selfishness of the baby booms, In sales and Ive never seen a more useless generation.

Now they are reaping the seeds of their pathetic generation that had everything handed to them from the greatest gen.

This is undoubtedly the best post you have ever made.

I have a bookshelf on the left wall of my office.  On that bookshelf rest 27 binders.  Those binders correspond to the clients I have who are facing felonies.  Of those 27 binders, 20 are those of people over that magical age of 35.  Another 2 of those are older than I am but younger than 35.  Lack of discipline and respect is by no means a generational thing.  It's a human thing.  Ages are largely irrelevant.

I am perplexed at the ridicule heaped on Generation Y by Baby Boomers and Generation X.  

Baby Boomers have so completely mismanaged their assets that a large number of them cannot or will not retire, which keeps Generation X from moving up and Generation Y from filling Generation X's shoes.  That is the largest contributor, without even a close 2nd, to the rampant unemployment that exists among Generation Y.  Without the prospect of employment or upward mobility, Generation Y is stuck in a holding pattern of despair.  But they grumble about how "lazy" the "kids" are.  Yet it's Generation Y's fault.

Generation X raised Generation Y.  Last time I checked, it was the parents' job to instill values and morality into their children.  I don't think that's changed.  It's Generation X that is too weak to put its foot down when their Generation Y children want to play high school hopscotch so they can get some playing time on Friday nights.  It's Generation X that refuses to learn how technology works, and therefore cannot adequately supervise their children when they get on Snapchat, Kik, or another medium that is beyond Generation X.  Yet it's Generation Y's fault.

Maybe it's that Generation Y doesn't want to do something because so many Baby Boomers and Generation X don't deserve the unwarranted respect that's been heaped upon them.  Maybe it's because Generation Y wants to understand the "why" of doing something, and the Baby Boomers and Generation X are fixated on the "how".  Generation Y has its delicate little snowflakes, just like Generation X has it's out-of-touch yuppies and the Baby Boomers have their out-of-touch curmudgeons.  It takes all kinds of kinds

Signed,

Can I get your autograph?

Signed,

This needs a little more attention brought it's way!  The absolute single biggest stumbling block for civil relations between my family and that of my parents, in-laws, aunts, uncles, etc.  

We are all a product of the environment in which we were raised regardless of generational classification.  Somehow, we have morphed into a society that refuses to punish the proverbial 5th grader named little Johnny when deserved.  When little Johnny gets into trouble at school, the teacher must be at fault and should be terminated at once!  Little Johnny is then rewarded for his bad behavior and learns a valuable, at least to him, lesson; how to manipulate any situation into a desired outcome.  This concept benefits little Johnny well, at least until he reaches adulthood, where he is abruptly punished for his bad behavior leading to further overcrowding of our prison system.  

Where-as, if little Johnny had gotten his ass busted in 5th grade, he may have developed into a functioning adult who adds some benefit to society!

This is undoubtedly the best post you have ever made.

Very touchy subject and one that I clearly (to a fault) educate any incompetent fool, even in a sales environment.

The 1960s drug craze has finally hit a pinnacle. If only the Russian drug "crocodile" were to hit successfully and weeds a few 100,000 out.

Also about self entitlement.

What is self entitlement to one generation, is "what we deserve" to the baby boomers.

I have intelligence, but I rather play dumb and be under estimated

Wow as GenXer and proud parent of a son, who is about to receive his second college degree about a year from now, who has thanked me for the discipline I have instilled in him ( and yes it is the parents job to instill discipline not some football coach at whatever school your child goes to) I have no regret for the way my wife and I raised him. There is nothing wrong with learning respect, honor and being discipline from a football coach but if he is the one who has to do it, the child is probably in trouble already. I think the topic of the debate was Coach Akers making the football players wear ties on game day, I am sure that he has already heard from some parents "how" it can't be done and the kids are just asking "why"

Just tell the kids to watch cam newton, or any other professional or college football payer get off the bus. 99% are dressed up.

Find their role model, show them the way and pow problem solved

Hopefully their role model isn't Russell Westbrook