Foootball and the economy

GHS89

Pikevillie is the exception to East Kentucky, they have a world class hospital and college to keep them afloat. Hazard on the other hand is headed toward ghost town status. I worked in East Ky. for 18 yrs. doing sales and commuted everyday to our office in Pikevillie for five years until they moved it to Kingsport. Very few pockets of East Ky. have any base for economic development and most folks who live there don't care because of the perpetual welfare state that has been created. I read that the highest disability rate in America was in East Ky. 

Pikeville story is from the governors pasted that funneled money harder than Regan did California. Their political power still hold suit, how pikeville goes is how the east goes. Hold pikeville you hold everything east of I 75

Pikeville story is from the governors pasted that funneled money harder than Regan did California. Their political power still hold suit, how pikeville goes is how the east goes. Hold pikeville you hold everything east of I 75

What?

This is not a political forum, it is about football and the economy. I really could care less about the politics of Kentucky, except what decades of one party rule did to the East. It is coal or nothing. They weren't even interested in any other forum of economic development.  

What?

I believe he's trying to say that governors affix money to the walls of their mansions with paste, and do so with more intensity than Regan Smith hitting a wall at California Motor Speedway. Further, Pikeville University's basketball team has such a high-powered offense that if your team can stop them, your team can stop any team who plays east of the I-75 corridor.

But I could be wrong. Difficulty with the English language and a belief that one knows far more than one actually does is a tough combination to crack.

I believe he's trying to say that governors affix money to the walls of their mansions with paste, and do so with more intensity than Regan Smith hitting a wall at California Motor Speedway. Further, Pikeville University's basketball team has such a high-powered offense that if your team can stop them, your team can stop any team who plays east of the I-75 corridor.

But I could be wrong. Difficulty with the English language and a belief that one knows far more than one actually does is a tough combination to crack.

"California Motor Speedway" doesn't exist. ;)

Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, CA does exist, however.

For uva, to interpret,

Pikeville has voted in 2 governors in recent years and each has given back 10 fold. Pikeville (a lot of presidents visit this area) has a large vote and stats show that how pikeville votes is how the east votes (east being anything below 64 and east of 75.)

***correction: I was wrong, pikeville/ county went red, while some went blue****

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate_election_in_Kentucky,_2010

As far as the Regan and tax money comment

Regan = California

Clinton = Arkansas

Bush = Texas

Obama = Illinois

They take care of their states

Now how this ties into football and the economy, pikeville and pike county will not suffer the losses like those around them (letcher, perry, breathett, floyd, etc; therefore their program turnout will not be "as" affected by the economy. Will they be hit? Yes, as hard as everywhere else? Not by a long shot.

If you need me to further simplify this, I'll get my 5 year old nephew and I'll switch to a computer with out predictive text

No political opinion just an observation.

• 2 weeks later...

The state prison system has really propped SWVA up. The benefit of Wallens Ridge, Red Onion, Keen Mtn, River North, Camp 18 and Appalachian Detention Center cannot be overstated. Without them much of SWVA is nothing right now(coming from someone who would not be living in SWVA right now if not for the DOC).

As for Lee Co, without USPLee and WRSP then I would hate to see what the county would look like right now, same for Dickenson Co and KMCC, ROSP and to a lesser extent WRSP.

Grundy and Wise are a little more insulated because of the collages. Wise has UVA-W, WRSP and ROSP all close by and that provides most of the opportunity that's available. Grundy had ASL and KMCC.

Just speaking on available jobs and the positive economic impact they have. Unless im mistaken WRSP and ROSP each employ over 400 people and I assume RNCC and KMCC are about the same. That allows the very rural counties to keep people here and keep them employed. The number of workers at WRSP who were in some way previously involved in the coal industry has got to be above 35%, without the DOC those men are either unemployed or not living in SWVA.

Haysi, Clintwood, Pennington Gap, Jonesville, Big Stone Gap... those communities are in bad shape economically, without the income form the local prisons then they are on the verge of being ghost towns

If you took a map of SW Va. and drew a line from Duffield to Abingdon and squared it off with the Tennessee state line that would be the only area where coal has not affected the economy severely. The rest is in danger of just going away. And our coal industry isn't the only one suffering now The Powder River Basin mines are shipping about 50% less coal than they were a year ago. We in our lifetimes, unless a miracle occurs will see the complete banishment of an entire industry. Along with the railroad jobs, the support jobs, the power plant jobs and the stores and families that they support.