Mountain District

trumpet1988

This just my opinion. Stack the box and dare them to beat you throwing the ball. Triple option shut down. West you are correct about the triple option being rep intensive. One breakdown in assignment and the whole play is basically shot.

Been readin ALOT on offenses so my knowledge definitely not that of a coach, but the flexbone is one system that has me intrigued.

The flexbone is a series based football system much like the wing t. If taught properly with the correct decision making, it has the ability to attack any and all part of the field while keeping the defense honest. The offense has 4 options that are taught, the mid-line (gaps a-b), inside veer (c-d) and outside veer (d-edge) and counters.

The excellent thing about this offense is that it mitigates a defense speed and renders it useless until the ball is found. Players must play assignment football and one blown assignment leads to large gains.

If one was to stack the box, outside veer would be open until adjustments where made then the adjustments would them be diagnosed and attacked. Staying in a base defense (4-3, 3-3-5, 3-4 and all varations) reading guards and backs would benefit you more and prevents reach/wall blocks. If I'm not mistaken, tech sits in a 4 2 5 and uses the safety as head hunters on the outside veer

With that said, I would much rather run the double wing in high school, and attack the same holes with a simplified blocking scheme that utilizes doubles at the point of attack and misdirection from the hidden backs instead of option (selective) blocking.

You can be very successful running the option, but you better have an outstanding QB handling the ball or your screwed from the start and also be about five deep at RB. Georgia Tech and the academies run it to perfection. The best option I every saw was DB a few years ago with Swafford and Forman, also Lee High ran some good option stuff years ago and when GC won the state in '03 they ran the option, but Spivey at QB was a man among boys.

The Rocket Toss and the quick play action pass to one of the offenses best players(the Wing Back) are the things that make the Flexbone a more viable offense than the Wishbone. With those two plays the Offense can hit the edge QUICK and get their playmakers in space. It allows less talented teams to get their best playmakers the ball in space and mitigates the offenses lack of size/speed/skill by replacing those with execution. 

What most teams that try to run the Flex don't have is a BULL of a FB.  What they need is a FB who when the QB makes the wrong read and gives still gets 3-4 yards,a ball carrier that forces ends to not jump outside and forces MLBs to stay home instead of flying down the line.

Flexbone would be a good move for Battle imo but what would help them a lot more is a weight program and some dedication in that area

John Battle's football team is a valuable member of the Mountain District but I suspect they will finish at the bottom of the standings this coming season.  As I have posted previously, I think Union should be the favorite again this year - but the district will be very entertaining and very competitive.  I look for Lee, Gate City, and Ridgeview to be good.  I think Central may be a little weaker than last season. Battle will bring up the rear.

My preseason MD players to watch would include Collier from Gate City, Mullins from Wise, Rasnic from Lee, and Mitchell from Union.

I heard that Mitchell has now been offered scholarships from Va Tech, Virginia, JMU, and Wofford.

John Battle's football team is a valuable member of the Mountain District but I suspect they will finish at the bottom of the standings this coming season.  As I have posted previously, I think Union should be the favorite again this year - but the district will be very entertaining and very competitive.  I look for Lee, Gate City, and Ridgeview to be good.  I think Central may be a little weaker than last season. Battle will bring up the rear.

My preseason MD players to watch would include Collier from Gate City, Mullins from Wise, Rasnic from Lee, and Mitchell from Union.

I heard that Mitchell has now been offered scholarships from Va Tech, Virginia, JMU, and Wofford.

Clemson has shown some interest also but haven't offerred a full ride yet

West12aaa,

I would run double options. Midline give/keep A/B gaps, Inside Veer give/keep B/C gaps, Freeze Option fake to FB then keep/pitch C/D gaps.

Occasionally run some called plays

Flexbone or wishbone?

I like to concept of the option but as a coach I would be pulling my hair out each play.

The more I see, the wing t or double wing fits my philosophy with an element of option

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any truth to the rumor that Mitchell is thinking of transferring to a basketball academy type school. I have also heard the same thing about McClung from GC.

I don't see McClung going anywhere. His sister stayed at GC and still got a scholarship to Florida State. He already has offers at GC, gets good exposure at camp. All that being said, biggest reason I don't see him leaving is that his dad is an elected official in Scott County and for that reason, I think he'll keep Mac at GC.

I want to see them both stay local, but what those schools do is lure them away and reclassify them, usually drop them back one year and develop them into D-1 BB players, that has happened to Science Hill and DB in Northeast Tn. for years.

Is there any truth to the rumor that Mitchell is thinking of transferring to a basketball academy type school. I have also heard the same thing about McClung from GC.

Yes...and no.

He did receive an offer to go to Oak Hill or so I'm told. No idea what his plans are though.