The Dark Side of Title IX

Hacker

If you wonder why you read about athletes who have been dismissed from the University and no reason is specified, there is a good chance it has something to do with the resolution of a sexual assault complaint through the school.  When things are not handled well, it leads to this:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/reports--baylor-fires-coach-art-briles-154936095.html

I would highly recommend the book "Missoula."  It covers this issue in great depth, and left me with mixed feelings about how these issues are addressed, both by local police and the schools.

Mixed feelings are appropriate. Remember these situations with Title IX are not about athletics.  Its an issue for the entire student body and when handled improperly (I mean for the accuser or the accused) it is a problem. False accusations that are handled with dismissals are terrible things also.  

Mixed feelings are appropriate. Remember these situations with Title IX are not about athletics. Its an issue for the entire student body and when handled improperly (I mean for the accuser or the accused) it is a problem. False accusations that are handled with dismissals are terrible things also.

As mentioned in the film, false accusations make up less than 1% of all claims of sexual assault on college campuses. The film cites 8 or 9 sources of study that go back to 1992, all resulting in similar findings.

False accusation is such a small percent of it. I was particularly moved by the young woman who was raped by Winston. She was forced to leave the school of her dreams because the university knew a national championship was coming. The way the media treated her was dispicable. We just simply can't go on the way it is. A national championship isn't worth ruining someone's life by covering up things like that. As someone who personally knows a college rape victim, it changes them forever in ways I can't even explain.

False accusation is such a small percent of it. I was particularly moved by the young woman who was raped by Winston. She was forced to leave the school of her dreams because the university knew a national championship was coming. The way the media treated her was dispicable. We just simply can't go on the way it is. A national championship isn't worth ruining someone's life by covering up things like that. As someone who personally knows a college rape victim, it changes them forever in ways I can't even explain.

The media led the general public to believe the young woman was out for Winston's future money. I was blown away by the fact that a year into the investigation, she still didn't know her assailants name. She was told for a year that they weren't able to identify the individual while having a completed rape kit with DNA that was never tested.

She figured out his name when they were enrolled in a class together. She waited for roll to be called, heard his name, called Tallahassee police and her nightmare began all over again.

Stripes makes a good point. This isn't just an athletics issue. 88% of the over 100,000 reports of sexual assault on college campuses every year occur at Greek housing. Of those, I believe it was 16% were by athletes.

Until watching the film, I didn't understand how financially critical Greek culture is to universities and how powerful they are on a national level. At one point, 40% of Congress and The House were SAE, which has a reputation across America as standing for Sexual Assault Expected.

I watched The Hunting Ground when it came out and I felt like Winston was guilty for a long time mainly because of how the case seemed to be handled.  The issue I have with citing The Hunting Ground is that it isnt exactly and unbiased documentary that tells the entire story of Title IX to the best of my memory.  It was very one sided and got its point across.  As bad as TPD seemed have handled the alleged Winston rape case some of the accusers story has quite a few questionable statements as  well. 

The reason I still say that about mixed feelings when it comes to Title IX is because so many only associate it with athletics when that isnt the case as it is an entire school issue.  With that being said, schools are not designed to handle this type of thing properly to begin with.  I wouldnt trust most campus police, or deans to be able to handle an investigation into these types of events. To me leave it to the police ( yes I know that isnt perfect either) where they are more equipped to take care of things.

I watched The Hunting Ground when it came out and I felt like Winston was guilty for a long time mainly because of how the case seemed to be handled. The issue I have with citing The Hunting Ground is that it isnt exactly and unbiased documentary that tells the entire story of Title IX to the best of my memory. It was very one sided and got its point across. As bad as TPD seemed have handled the alleged Winston rape case some of the accusers story has quite a few questionable statements as well.

The reason I still say that about mixed feelings when it comes to Title IX is because so many only associate it with athletics when that isnt the case as it is an entire school issue. With that being said, schools are not designed to handle this type of thing properly to begin with. I wouldnt trust most campus police, or deans to be able to handle an investigation into these types of events. To me leave it to the police ( yes I know that isnt perfect either) where they are more equipped to take care of things.

Being drugged without your knowledge or consent will make your memory a bit iffy so it's difficult for me to buy into this young lady having questionable statements. The Hunting Ground is biased but so are university rules and regulations. They are geared toward benefiting the school first. Do little if anything to help the victim and often aid the person committing the crime.

Here are the reasons that I have mixed feelings:

When it comes to athletes, University police, and local PDs have reputations in some communities for looking the other way or less than thorough investigations.  (Deserved or not.  Read the NYT article about the Tallahassee PD.)  So the legal system is cut off in some places.  Also when the accusation becomes public, the victim is the one put through the meat grinder of scrutiny and blame.

On the other hand the Title IX procedures are being run by folks who are not trained police investigators, and have a Star Chamber secretiveness to them.

Neither situation seems suited for finding out what actually happened and providing justice.

I will have to add "The Hunting Ground."

The collegiate system in America is a runaway freight train, zooming across the plains with no obstacle in sight to stop it. It is a Machiavellian machination that values social brotherhoods over the school, and the school over fellow man.

Title IX is but a cog in the engine. That piece of civil rights legislation has been a colossal, unmitigated failure for innumerable reasons, but is irrevocable due to the political suicide that would result from the unsilent minority of social justice warriors. Needless to say, conpliance with the law trumps all, despite the lives of victims it destroys in the process.

Sixcat's recall of the fraternity systems in college campuses, also in need of complete razing, just exacerbates the problem. When your compliance officers are parts of the various brotherhoods they are looking to police, expecting fair administration is but fantasy. And idiots like Sabrina Erdely, fixating on the one case in a hundred that is false, just gives that much more invincibility.

I am reminded of this quote (from Tytler, allegedly) when I think about the hopelessness of this situation:

"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years.

Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage."

Here are the reasons that I have mixed feelings:

When it comes to athletes, University police, and local PDs have reputations in some communities for looking the other way or less than thorough investigations.  (Deserved or not.  Read the NYT article about the Tallahassee PD.)  So the legal system is cut off in some places.  Also when the accusation becomes public, the victim is the one put through the meat grinder of scrutiny and blame.

On the other hand the Title IX procedures are being run by folks who are not trained police investigators, and have a Star Chamber secretiveness to them.

Neither situation seems suited for finding out what actually happened and providing justice.

I will have to add "The Hunting Ground."

The Hunting Ground goes into the Tallahassee PD in depth.  I see where you were going with "mixed feelings".  It's just a shame the victims of these crimes have to seek some form of justice through Title IX instead of our judicial system.