Football game needed for 2017-2018 cycle.

MrSocko

I assume you are referring to Ridgeview? I am not sure just speculating. If that is the case, Ridgeview would gain more points for post season if they played Tazewell, a similar size school. Not just becuase of size but with rider points and such too. Just speculating. 

Tough road for Hurley... Not many want to make that trip and with people dropping them I am sure it is tough to find replacements.

Nope. Wasn't ridgeview. Close in name though

It doesn't help that when you ask for games that you trash the schools that won't play at the same time.

Probably not but the AD sent them a contract 6 months ago. The two teams played at TV and everything seemed to be a go for next season. Last week at a JV game between the two schools they decide they don't want to play. You don't string a team along for six months. It's either yes or no. Teams fill schedules fast and it will be hard to get ten games by next Fall.

I would say the drive to Hurley is the main reason that most teams would drop them barring some sort of animosity.

It is the drive. Hurley and Grundy both have trouble scheduling games. Grundy use to not have much trouble when they were in SWD but when you just got three district games it creates problems looking for seven more games.

The Hurley High AD wanted me to post that Hurley needs two games for the 2017-2018 season. Week 1, week 4 and week 6 is available. Hurley picked up Eastern Montgomery, Pike Central KY and Tug Valley WV for the next cycle. Holston, Twin Springs, Castlewood, Eastside and Shelby Valley KY dropped Hurley for next season. Why? IDK.The AD thought he needed just one more game but a AA school that is 45 minutes from Hurley decided last week they would rather play Tazewell after Hurley beat them in a scrimmage in August. Anyway, you can contact Mark Cooper at Hurley High School with the following numbers 566-7088, 566-8334 and 566-7642.

I would be willing to bet some folks in Eastern Montgomery county aren't going to be very happy.  They are already upset with the decision to leave the Three Rivers for the Pioneer which will be a sizable athletic budget increase.  Adding Hurley to the travel schedule isn't going to sit real well, I would imagine.

460 is not quite the most desirable stretch of road in SWVA. Curvy and very mountainous. A 30 mile stretch from Claypool Hill to Grundy takes nearly 75 minutes on a bus.  

Yeah, God forbid the kids today have to ride a school bus on a curvy road or across a mountain. 

Can't believe East Mont would play Hurley, they have won 1 game the past 2 years.

I believe that's part of the parent's issue.  Why trade a 10 mile trip to Glenvar for a 70 mile trip to Buena Vista for the same result?

Two suggestions: Call Sullivan North in Kingsport or get one of your conference members to double up with you and just count one of them as a conference game, Cloudland has had to that a few times to get a tenth game. Call Union or Lee or Wise Central it will help you long term, playing up never hurts anyone.

I wouldn't mind seeing Giles pick them up since its something different. I think it would hurt us though as we have too many 1A teams on our schedule.

Not so sure that would be beneficial to either school. Hurley is having an outstanding year and had a great turnout for the team this year, but we can't come up with athletes to hang with Giles year in and year out with such small enrollment numbers. The up years for us could produce some great games but it would be a lopsided score more often than not for what a 3 hour bus ride? 

I don't understand how the drive is so difficult, you have 460 that goes to Grundy and Hurley is just 10 miles from 460. Can't figure that one out.

I live 4.7 miles as the crow flies from my in-laws. It takes me 22 minutes to get there. Surely this isn't your best argument.