1a football

chasing6

I suspect 1A will be filled at the top with the usual suspects, Galax, Radford, George Wythe and Honaker.  From there, Rural Retreat made a late season charge last fall but lost a quality head coach.  Patrick Henry has, by all accounts, the best player in SWVA.  They will be tough if they can put anything around him.  Hurley has probably the second best player in SWVA.  Not sure what they lost to graduation but I expect them to be a quality team.  Bland has a lot of talent.  They had a couple of impressive wins last season but a couple of losses that make you scratch your head.  If coaching improves and they develop the talent they have, they can some games.  Northwood made a postseason run that surprised some.  Not sure what they have coming back though.

One thing's for certain.  Now that Haysi and Clintwood are no longer in the mix, it's pretty much a lock for the immediate future that Honaker will win the BDD and Burton will win the Cumberland.  And in Burton's case, Jimbo's tears will taste just as sweet after the Raiders are eliminated by the second round as usual.

The near 30 year streak of Honaker or Haysi winning the District/Conference, will end this year!

Naturally, Haysi is gone. But, with Honaker still standing firm at the top, this will be a pretty big deal for the team that snaps the streak.

Hurley

The near 30 year streak of Honaker or Haysi winning the District/Conference, will end this year!

Naturally, Haysi is gone. But, with Honaker still standing firm at the top, this will be a pretty big deal for the team that snaps the streak.

Hurley

Haha wish away feller!!! Brady is a bad dude and I really like watching him run the ball the ball and literally carry that whole team on his shoulders. Those legs will wear down come 4th quarter! They always do!

Not with the added reinforcements! This isn't wishful thinking, as I could care less. But, Hurley will be the best team in the area this coming season. I am not from Hurley and I don't have a dog in the fight.

But, trust me on this one, this is the year that the death grip is loosened and the title moves to Buchanan County.

I suspect 1A will be filled at the top with the usual suspects, Galax, Radford, George Wythe and Honaker.  From there, Rural Retreat made a late season charge last fall but lost a quality head coach.  Patrick Henry has, by all accounts, the best player in SWVA.  They will be tough if they can put anything around him.  Hurley has probably the second best player in SWVA.  Not sure what they lost to graduation but I expect them to be a quality team.  Bland has a lot of talent.  They had a couple of impressive wins last season but a couple of losses that make you scratch your head.  If coaching improves and they develop the talent they have, they can some games.  Northwood made a postseason run that surprised some.  Not sure what they have coming back though.

Northwood lost a lot. QB, Linemen (both sides of the ball), receivers (main target). Not sure what to expect from them this year.  Who knows they could go back to ground and pound.

Wow. Saying that Hurley will be the best team in the area and you say your not from Hurley. You don't watch much high school football in southwest va do ya?

I believe I would have just went with being from Hurley!

He's actually not from Hurley lol.

Jib out of the cumberland, while everyone else is fighting for 14-16

I have no clue what JIB JV program had, but they lost all their skill players basically and also their best lineman in a transfer to DB. I know they're coached well and really only Cumberland team with football tradition, but I think this could be the year another team moves closer. Would have to say Castlewood could give them a run for their money with the Woods kid at QB and plethora of lineman coming back. Who knows about Eastside or TW with new coaches. RC is still down. TS lost some key players. Could be wide open.

Brady should jump across the border to tazewell CO and play for the Blues.. With him in the backfield and with the offence Richland's already has it would be fun to watch

Surprised he's not already there! What's going on in Richlands? Is there a shortage of high class jobs and high rise condos?

JIB takes the Cumberland and its not close. The still have some impressive linemen and a couple of good RBs. They don't make it out of the 2nd round but they take the CD easily.

If Hurley fields 45 kids they might have a chance at taking Honaker but until that happens I don't see it happening. Depth is hard to overcome, no matter how good you kids are. I say Honaker by 2 TDs.

Galax will be at the top of 1A West, theyre good... real good

Im gonna have to catch a PH game, ive got to see this RB

Galax lost to George Wythe, Glenvar, Giles and Radford by a combined 23 points last season.  They also lost to Glenvar each of the past two seasons in the final minute of the game.  The only game Galax didn't have a chance to win late in the 4th quarter was at Giles.  They were still a 3 seed come playoff time and played several home playoff games and beat JIB and Essex soundly on the road.  Coach Dixon will have them ready for whatever comes their way.  Much like last season, Galax may drop a game or two early given they play Glenvar, George Wythe, Radford and Giles in the first 5 weeks of the season.  Learning to play as a unit up front and nailing down rotations is what Dixon thrives on in the early portion of the season.   

If Galax can find a way to collectively replace Spurlin's leadership, they will be a factor in December. 

I doubt they beat Giles but Glenvar should continue to slide down and Radford lost a lot with no clear replacements.

The Tide has been getting it done on the road for years, other than at Sandlick and that's not a problem anymore

Sandlick was in the heads of every Galax kid who had the pleasure of playing there.  Fun times!

Wow. Saying that Hurley will be the best team in the area and you say your not from Hurley. You don't watch much high school football in southwest va do ya?

I believe I would have just went with being from Hurley

Actually He's been to a few state title games as a coach in basketball and football.

When I say area, I am not referring to all of SWVA. I am speaking of the immediate area, and referencing 1A football. 

Take it with a grain of salt, but they are going to be deeper, and they will be much better. I've got more orange flowing through my veins than "Rebel Red," but, I call it like I see it. Trust me, I wouldn't be saying this if I didn't think that they hadn't turned the corner. No disrespect to Honaker or anyone else locally.