Nostalgia

NewHampshireRed

One of the greatest performances ever witnessed in SWVA. Boo Sensabaugh rushed for an astonishing 300 yards against eventual State Champion Powell Valley but his accomplishment was only a footnote to Thomas Jones and his 460 yard state record performance that night.

i've watched this numerous times over the last few years. It's unbelievable. Jones is the best I've watched in my lifetime of attending high school games. We "held" him to 80 yards in the first half of a game once. He finished with over 300.

Is it just me or is almost every player in this game a lot bigger than the kids that play today? IMO both of these teams would beat some of best teams today by 30 plus.

I was thinking exactly the same thing...monsters out there...

Could it be that this is a reflection of how the game has changed? In those days, you ran power the majority, so up the need the bigger guys all over the field to help with that. Whereas now, the game is far more speed and pace oriented. You want faster defenders on the line to speed rush since the game is primarily pass oriented today. Just a thought.

Could it be that this is a reflection of how the game has changed? In those days, you ran power the majority, so up the need the bigger guys all over the field to help with that. Whereas now, the game is far more speed and pace oriented. You want faster defenders on the line to speed rush since the game is primarily pass oriented today. Just a thought.

About 10% this.

About 90% "Parents in those days didn't allow their kids to sit on their butts all summer, and since most everyone was outside playing, they developed muscles and strength that Johnny Millennial doesn't get playing his PS4 all day."

Jones was an unbelievable talent, the only time he didn't run wild on the Devils was his freshman year when he fumbled the opening kickoff and the Devils returned it for a touchdown and coach Robbins benched him, his sophomore through senior seasons were incredible to watch. GC had a streak of not giving up a 100 yd rusher that was season's old till Thomas' sophomore year. The best I ever seen in S.W. Va., I didn't see Clark, or Mickey and Phil Rodgers I am sure those backs would have something to say about that as would a few others. 

I will agree overall the talent has dropped in SWVA. However, using my experience with Richlands, even excluding ALL transfers, the players are in better shape and are more athletic than in my day of the 90s. The economic factors mentioned in other posts I believe is the biggest reason for the overall talent decrease. Like Ryan says, and I am certain he is referring to his Richlands perception, but changes in training and game plan has resulted in leaner and talented players. In the 90s, we had large lines and more players with 300 lb bench presses. Today, they are taller, leaner, and definitely quicker. Just from physical appearance, similar to the NFL combine, today's Richlands players look much more impressive.

The proof is in the pudding.  Look at the number of kids who went D1 from the 90s vs since that time.  It wasnt a huge number by any stretch of the imagination but it far surpasses what has turned over in the last 16 years.  I can think of 4 players off the top of my head who made it to the NFL who played the majority of their HS ball in the 90s from the area.  The game was played at a slower pace but the players werent slower than what we see today.  

The proof is in the pudding. Look at the number of kids who went D1 from the 90s vs since that time. It wasnt a huge number by any stretch of the imagination but it far surpasses what has turned over in the last 16 years. I can think of 4 players off the top of my head who made it to the NFL who played the majority of their HS ball in the 90s from the area. The game was played at a slower pace but the players werent slower than what we see today.

I partially agree, but would say the elite teams now would still compete. On those elite teams, I believe there is often more athletic linemen. Competition as a whole in SWVA was tougher, but the best of the best now could compete. For NFL talent, I don't think the disparity is that great. I will agree that there were more, (again more competition), but this century has given us Heath Miller, Ahmad Bradshaw, and Devon Johnson remains to be seen. For careers, I would argue Miller's as the most successful, ever so slightly ahead of T. Jones, and would place Bradshaw's career ahead of J. Jones. Just my opinion.

That part of my statement, was my toughest debate.

Would anyone who remembers compare that era to the 80s? The only great team that I vaguely remember was the 89 Gmen. I don't recall as much of the 86 Bulldogs or the LPD teams.

Would anyone who remembers compare that era to the 80s? The only great team that I vaguely remember was the 89 Gmen. I don't recall as much of the 86 Bulldogs or the LPD teams.

'86 Garden Dragons

'82 Hurley Rebels

Somewhere in that time span was a hellava Haysi team.

I partially agree, but would say the elite teams now would still compete. On those elite teams, I believe there is often more athletic linemen. Competition as a whole in SWVA was tougher, but the best of the best now could compete. For NFL talent, I don't think the disparity is that great. I will agree that there were more, (again more competition), but this century has given us Heath Miller, Ahmad Bradshaw, and Devon Johnson remains to be seen. For careers, I would argue Miller's as the most successful, ever so slightly ahead of T. Jones, and would place Bradshaw's career ahead of J. Jones. Just my opinion.

Miller could slide on either side of the decade debate.  Most of his career was in the 90s.  Thomas Jones sits above any of the NFL talent in the past 2 decades.  He is currently 25th of all time leading rushers in NFL history playing during a time when the RB was being devalued. Miller had a great career and I dont mean it as a slight but Jones stands above.  I do agree with putting Bradshaws career above Julius.  Julius came on fast and went out of the NFL just as fast it seemed.  

Just think of the many kids in our area that had the opportunity to go D1 but didn't for whatever reason.  Brown(Graham), Graves(Graham), McCracken(Richlands), Lester(Graham Wrestling). I'm sure there are many more out there.  Sometimes behavior problems will eliminate kids from continuing on to college but I would say most of the time falling in LOVE would be the biggest reason for not going on.

Just think of the many kids in our area that had the opportunity to go D1 but didn't for whatever reason. Brown(Graham), Graves(Graham), McCracken(Richlands), Lester(Graham Wrestling). I'm sure there are many more out there. Sometimes behavior problems will eliminate kids from continuing on to college but I would say most of the time falling in LOVE would be the biggest reason for not going on.

Cain (walker)(vt-track,Maryland-football)