Who would had?

Olebluedev

Chronologically, those I could think of would be Graham 2001, Richlands 2005 and 2006 and 2010. Union or Richlands 2015. Even though only Richlands 2006 won state, all of the others compete well in my opinion. I would almost consider Gate City's 2010 team, but they were handled quite well by Richlands in my opinion. Of the Gate City teams, I was extremely impressed by the state championship team that beat Essex, but don't remember the year (03 or 04). If I'd have been more familiar with the Clintwood teams I might have included those.

I may be wrong but no team I've watched in the last 15 years could beat appy PV or Gate City teams from mid 90s and I didn't see any of the Richland's teams then because appy didn't play them. With players like Turner, Clark, the Joneses and houseright, Beasley. Not downing any teams from the last 15 years because there were some good teams but from 1993-1998 PV Appy and Gate City were just loaded with so much talent it was crazy.

I believe it was th 94 Appy team that beat Middlesex 72-7? I really don't think any team would have beaten them in the last 15 years. And they even lost to Powell Valley that season.

That appy-PV game was probably best game I've ever seen, had to be 10 deep at the fence and Im with you I don't see anyone beating either one of those teams but they've been some teams that could make it interesting, Maybe?

Gate City 2003, Isiah Spivey led Blue Devils is the only team IMO. I actually believe they could've been very competitive with any of the 90's juggernauts. Outside of them, I think any other great teams competitive mark would be a two TD game at best.

It's like comparing apples to oranges.

I agree with Ryan as with on the nostalgia thread. The style of play has really changed. The teams I had mentioned in this century rely heavily on quarterback play and skill of the receivers and running backs. Those teams of the 90s typically relied on the running backs. The NFL talent obviously gives the 90s the edge. Since the thread is referring to competing, I imagine many of those 90s teams would have a difficult time on defense chasing around all those receivers. If the games were played in perfect weather and on turf, I would almost take the recent teams. On grass or any type of weather drops their chances dramatically.

I may be wrong but no team I've watched in the last 15 years could beat appy PV or Gate City teams from mid 90s and I didn't see any of the Richland's teams then because appy didn't play them. With players like Turner, Clark, the Joneses and houseright, Beasley. Not downing any teams from the last 15 years because there were some good teams but from 1993-1998 PV Appy and Gate City were just loaded with so much talent it was crazy.

I will agree in that those PV teams were probably the best I have seen.

One team that doesn't get the recognition it should IMO is the '96 Grundy Golden Wave. Lost to Salem in the semis 6-0? ... Very few teams could have competed with them.

Thanks for mentioning them. How could I forget watching that game in a downpour in Tazewell?

Gate City 2003, Isiah Spivey led Blue Devils is the only team IMO. I actually believe they could've been very competitive with any of the 90's juggernauts. Outside of them, I think any other great teams competitive mark would be a two TD game at best.

The team above was who I was trying to remember. They were probably the most physical team I had seen in recent years.

One team that doesn't get the recognition it should IMO is the '96 Grundy Golden Wave. Lost to Salem in the semis 6-0? ... Very few teams could have competed with them.

That was  one of the best Grundy teams that I have seen.  They should have won that game, I remember that they played it at Tazewell, I was there.... went to OT.  Ran the ball to the goal line on first down and then fumbled the snap and lost, if memory serves me correctly.  Very good team.  They were better than Salem, but somehow pulled Defeat from the jaws of Victory that day.

Also, for some reason I thought the score ended 7-6 and Grundy fumbled the two point conversion attempt???  I do recall them getting ready to score and fumbling it away....  Too many games over the years to keep up with.  I probably hit at least 8 or 10 games a year for the last 41 years....so understandable I guess.

This will be my 42nd consecutive Graham-Beaver game this year.  Not too many people can say they've been to that many in a row.

I have been watching some old game film recently and the physicality of the game has changed tremendously.  Back then, players ran through their tackles, wrapped up and hit hard.  In today's game, a lot of players get dragged to the ground, pushed out of bounds or "ridden" to the ground.  The teams that still have that physical style of play and coached well to play their positions, like "Giles" for instance are still very succesful, even when they are not loaded with talent.  

A fundamentally sound defensive team with a little bit of speed and a litte bit of offensive talent would go far in today's game.

On the flip side of it,  I can see how it is more of a challenge to defend the wide open offenses and faster pace of today's game. 

Also, for some reason I thought the score ended 7-6 and Grundy fumbled the two point conversion attempt??? I do recall them getting ready to score and fumbling it away.... Too many games over the years to keep up with. I probably hit at least 8 or 10 games a year for the last 41 years....so understandable I guess.

According to Vhsl reference we are both wrong, they list the score as 7-0

Game should've been played at Grundy, but the powers that be decided Grundy's field was too muddy. But yet decided on Tazewell's muddy field during a monsoon.

According to Vhsl reference we are both wrong, they list the score as 7-0

Game should've been played at Grundy, but the powers that be decided Grundy's field was too muddy. But yet decided on Tazewell's muddy field during a monsoon.

Yes, very muddy.  Grundy had a very speedy tailback  that was tough and excellent lineplay.  Thought they were the better team on that day.  I do believe that Salem scored on their possession in overtime.  Grundy ran it to the one on first down and then fumbled... I was sure they would score and go for two. (Maybe that's why I thought 7-6)  The running back was getting positive yardage each time he touched the ball.

David scammel was Grundy's TB that season. Small, but man he could scoot. Jason Coprnhaver was the QB, prb the most gifted athlete to ever come out of Buchanan County. Along with D-1 linemen Luke Owens(VT), Marcus Stiltner(VMI), along with DE future D-1 wrestler and current Navy Seal Scott Justus(VT).

Dare I mention '92 Richlands and '95 Graham for the great teams of the 90's? I remember the Richlands playoff run all the way through. For the Graham team, I watched them beat William Campbell (7-3?) without throwing a pass at Mitchell Stadium.

Dare I mention '92 Richlands and '95 Graham for the great teams of the 90's? I remember the Richlands playoff run all the way through. For the Graham team, I watched them beat William Campbell (7-3?) without throwing a pass at Mitchell Stadium.

Think it was 7-6.  I happened to be in Lynchburg the week after that wearing a Graham shirt at the mall and some dude came up to me trying to claim that they were "cheated" in that game.  I asked if he was there, his response was "no.".  I asked him why he thought they were cheated and he said because they had a touchdown called back.  I told him that I was there and Graham had a touchdown called back too  He continued to plead his case, so I just said "nice meeting you, but we have to be going".... and that was that.  That was a great game as well.  I lived in Farmville, VA at the time and I came in for that game, the media down that way was talking very highly of Graham and Southwest Virginia Football in general prior to that contest.

The '95 Graham team that won the state championship just did not pass the ball. I had the news article somewhere on it, thinking it was under 50 yards passing for the entire season (14 games). Maybe someone else remembers.

The '95 Graham team that won the state championship just did not pass the ball. I had the news article somewhere on it, thinking it under 50 yards passing for the entire season (14 games). Maybe someone else remembers.

Sounds about right.  

Sounds about right.  

from this 2001 story, it was 44 yards

"When Graham won the state title in 1995, Carlock said the team threw four times

in 14 games for 44 yards."

https://virginiapreps.n.rivals.com/news/preview-graham-g-men

To be clear, they attempted 21 passes with 4 completed

http://www.heraldcourier.com/sports/carlock-s-legend-lives-on-through-those-who-played-for/article_8188ba90-68bf-11e5-a6e2-07e16595ade8.html