Honaker implements new offense.

local_insight

The Honaker tigers have been a wrecking force throughout 1A football for some time now. There is not a year in which I can remember that they have not went deep into the playoffs. However, as in all competition the deeper you go the stiffer the competition becomes. In more recent years the tigers seem to have much more trouble stopping teams which are running a spread style offense. 

Is it that they can't stop them or maybe their old school running attack just is not putting up enough points to keep pace. Sure with a pretty easy regular season, facing teams such as: Lebanon, Castlewood, Eastside, Holston, Grundy, Hurley, Northwood, and etc. Running the ball, so to speak down their throat isn't so difficult. However, when you play teams with much better defenses such as: Richlands, Radford, George Wythe, Altavista, Esex, and etc. things didn't go so smoothly as the others. 

Anyways, lets get to the point. From a very good inside source. The Honaker Tigers will be implementing a new spread style of offense for the upcoming season. As some would say, It's about time. Coach Hubbard an old school kind of guy may need a little help. That's okay though, who better to help than long time Honaker alumni and NFL retire of the Pittsburgh Steelers Heath Miller. My source says they have already began the process, but legal start of summer practice will kick off with a little help of some NFL expertise. 

A new beginning for football in Honaker.

Via your,

Inside Source. 

The passive aggressive knock to everyone on your schedule is funny. Looking at the last 5 years, you have done well, cudos, but with further inspection those same teams have also done their fair share of knocking.

http://www.vhsl-reference.com/mastergames_byyear_byteam.cfm?ID=10429&GY=2015

Schedule KY teams, Paintsville, pikeville, letcher, belfry etc or run with swva finest Richlands, union, gc, etc.

The Honaker tigers have been a wrecking force throughout 1A football for some time now. There is not a year in which I can remember that they have not went deep into the playoffs. However, as in all competition the deeper you go the stiffer the competition becomes. In more recent years the tigers seem to have much more trouble stopping teams which are running a spread style offense.

Is it that they can't stop them or maybe their old school running attack just is not putting up enough points to keep pace. Sure with a pretty easy regular season, facing teams such as: Lebanon, Castlewood, Eastside, Holston, Grundy, Hurley, Northwood, and etc. Running the ball, so to speak down their throat isn't so difficult. However, when you play teams with much better defenses such as: Richlands, Radford, George Wythe, Altavista, Esex, and etc. things didn't go so smoothly as the others.

Anyways, lets get to the point. From a very good inside source. The Honaker Tigers will be implementing a new spread style of offense for the upcoming season. As some would say, It's about time. Coach Hubbard an old school kind of guy may need a little help. That's okay though, who better to help than long time Honaker alumni and NFL retire of the Pittsburgh Steelers Heath Miller. My source says they have already began the process, but legal start of summer practice will kick off with a little help of some NFL expertise.

Via your,

Inside Source.

First thing. How many yards passing did Galax and Rivershead have in 2015?

Second thing. I went to the seven on seven at Honaker on Tuesday.....they need a lot of work defending a spread type offense.

Via your,

Inside Source.

Sounds like a lot of dumb rumors coming out of the field house in Honaker. I don't believe none of it. UNLESS the running back pool is so drained that they have no other option.

Everybody needs to shut up hit the weights or thier will be a lot of L's for the tigers this year.

The passive aggressive knock to everyone on your schedule is funny. Looking at the last 5 years, you have done well, cudos, but with further inspection those same teams have also done their fair share of knocking.

http://www.vhsl-reference.com/mastergames_byyear_byteam.cfm?ID=10429&GY=2015

Schedule KY teams, Paintsville, pikeville, letcher, belfry etc or run with swva finest Richlands, union, gc, etc.

That guy has made 4 post on this site so don't take his comments as the way everybody Honaker fan views our schedule or recent success. We have played Richlands every year since 2004 I think. Also competed against gate city and Powell Valley in the playoffs until they changed everything. I personally hate the schedule. I think it needs a big change competition wise.

That guy has made 4 post on this site so don't take his comments as the way everybody Honaker fan views our schedule or recent success. We have played Richlands every year since 2004 I think. Also competed against gate city and Powell Valley in the playoffs until they changed everything. I personally hate the schedule. I think it needs a big change competition wise.

Every team has them, as far as schedules, I believe Honaker falls in the pitfall of being a "1a" school. Much like walker, we have some talented vhslish power point building school around but it's not appealing.

If walker could stiffen it's competition with the addition of Bell, Clairborne, Williamsburg or Corbin that would be ideal. However I would not want that until our coaching stabilizes

Utilizing the spread is one thing, but unless the coaching staff is comfortable, I believe I would stay with the tried and true ground and pound system. It is working in about every state at our enrollment level.

• 2 weeks later...

If Honaker hates their schedule and being 1A, move up to 2A. You can come into the Mountain District and be welcomed with open arms. Problem Solved and when you get out of the Murder's Row you have to play, you will be championship worthy because your schedule will have made you that way. Schools used to man up and play up but not any more and I don't blame them but if no one is happy with the current situation, change it!

Honaker has implemented aspects of the Spread since the late 90s(around 98-99). In 02 they were much better in 4 Wide than under center.  Hubbard will run the formations and plays that suit the talent he has; when they have a QB they throw the ball, when they don't they run it. Simple as that.

From what I saw of them last season they looked better in Shotgun, assuming most of that team is back it wouldn't surprise me at all to see the Tigers in the gun most of the time, that doesn't mean they are a "Spread" team.

There aren't more than a handful of teams in the state on the 1A level that can legitimately run the "Spread". Haysi had some of the better QBs in the region over the years and a plethora of really good WRs but we were based in Split Backs and I-Form. To run 3-4 wide consistently and be good you have to have 2-3 really good WRs and most schools just dont

Any old time Appy fans here remember how good Appy threw the ball out of the full house backfield. You don't have to run the spread to throw it. Like redtiger said the talent to run a legit spread just doesn't reside in the coalfields in 1A.

Altavista and Radford were the only teams in the state at the 1A level that could run the spread. I didn't see another one last few years that could run it and be good at it other than maybe Essex and they had the players to run just about anything and be good.

Honaker is usually a scary team on Offense.  They are going to pound the daylights out of the ball and just when youre not expecting it they will hit a play action pass that goes for big yards. VERY tough to defend, very tough to scheme against.

The only way I see them going full time spread is because they don't have the running backs to run the pro I formation that they have run for years. Basically out of default. Hilton is a very capable QB to sling the ball around but the line play is going to have to improve tremendously from last year. The rb pool is not very deep this year for the tigers.

• 2 weeks later...