VHSL realignment shuffle continues from BHC

Howdyfans

I can't say I blame them. If you are going to be forced into a district with smaller teams than you, would you rather okay Richlands, Tazewell, Virginia, and Lebanon......or Gate City, Union, Central, Ridgeview, Battle, and Lee?

The MD just has more quality opponents in their ranks than the SWD right now.

In football it's not close. The Mountain has 1 weak team(Battle), the rest are all tough.

Lee is average at the moment (which is a large improvement for them), and Central is decent at the moment (which is a large improvement over the Kelly/Pound days). Ridgeview had an average first season, but the jury is out as to what future performance may hold. Gate City is coming off one of its worst seasons ever.

Good district, but it's not the SEC.

I may have missed it but when they go back to regional play in playoffs will there be 4 or 8 teams from each region because this region has alot of quality teams and if 4 teams go someone with a good team will be sitting home.

I may have missed it but when they go back to regional play in playoffs will there be 4 or 8 teams from each region because this region has alot of quality teams and if 4 teams go someone with a good team will be sitting home.

I am guessing it will be 8 from each region, keeping the 32 team playoff intact.  Although 1A East only had 12 teams last year instead of 16, so not 100% sure.

From a competitive standpoint, Abingdon should be fine if and when their enrollment numbers drop to 2A levels.  Until then it probably doesn't matter who they play during the regular season -- they'll be swimming in the shallow end of the deeper 3A pool most years (and in most sports).  For the sake of comparison, it seems very similar to what Jefferson Forest faces in 4A.

Little bit off topic but i sure am glad i don't have a child playing at Narrows. Not for sure the miles of other schools around but seems to me they gonna be putting some mles on them pick-up trucks.

Thomas walker mileage? Or just more than average?

Accounting all travel mileage (ever mile need traveled by the home or away team) Regular season only

TW - 648

Narrows - 442

I'll look at 2016 master schedule and update soon

Thomas walker mileage? Or just more than average?

Accounting all travel mileage (ever mile need traveled by the home or away team) Regular season only

TW - 648

Narrows - 442

I'll look at 2016 master schedule and update soon

I think RC is refering to Narrows new destination.  Narrows is moving to the Pioneer District.  I would guess, easily increasing the mileage by 50%.

Counting Highland High, the average google map drive time to all other schools in the new Pioneer would be 1 hour 49 mins.   Leaving Highland out (football), it drops down to 1 hour 32 mins.   On the flip side of that, the same average had they chosen to stay in the MED would have been 1 hour 4 mins.  Only East Mont would fall on the under side of that in the new Pioneer.  

It'll be a sad day when something happens to fuel prices and Narrows has to drop a sport or two because of it.   And how the hell someone thinks its a great idea to put kids on a bus for 4 hours to get to Monterey when it's either a school night or they've already been up since 6 or so for school escapes me.  Somebody lost their damn mind or never had it to begin with. 

At least Lee will have to play a higher class team again. Now if they'll do the smart thing and drop at least one or more of the 1A teams.....

now comes the question, do they drop TW and the money or jib and the points?

ALL ARE ONE WAY TRIPS

Narrows

89 James rI've

114 parry McClure

74 covington

93 bath county

52 craig

Total mileage 422

reference.com/master_wl_allyears_district.cfm

Thomas walker

80 casthe wood

44 rye cove

70 Eastside

73 twin springs

60 jib

Total mileage 327

Yup that's a haul

now comes the question, do they drop TW and the money or jib and the points?

Well, if we're going by what they will most likely do, then that's probably drop someone like Va High....but IMO they should drop TW, I don't see how the gate was all that impressive and outweighing any other benefits of this series.  One of the excuses for keeping the TW game over the Harlan Co. game was the gate, but I thought the games with HC brought about a bigger turnout. I've seen others traveling much farther bring bigger crowds on occasion.  Of course, it's all about the county draw I guess, just not enough for me.   IF they had to keep one of the three, I would keep Burton and drop TW/Eastide and pick up Abingdon and a former KY opponent like Harlan Co. (especially if they were to improve) or renew the Bell Co. or Middlesboro series.

Well, if we're going by what they will most likely do, then that's probably drop someone like Va High....but IMO they should drop TW, I don't see how the gate was all that impressive and outweighing any other benefits of this series. One of the excuses for keeping the TW game over the Harlan Co. game was the gate, but I thought the games with HC brought about a bigger turnout. I've seen others traveling much farther bring bigger crowds on occasion. Of course, it's all about the county draw I guess, just not enough for me. IF they had to keep one of the three, I would keep Burton and drop TW/Eastide and pick up Abingdon and a former KY opponent like Harlan Co. (especially if they were to improve) or renew the Bell Co. or Middlesboro series.

in 08-12 those were huge games as far as gate, especially basketball.

But I agree TW needs to drop lee and pick up C gap or Middlesboro,

Lee needs to pick up harlan co. And bell co, while dropping both Eastside and TW. That would provide them with probably the best competition they will ever face in 2a with one of those teams