Scrimmage Results Thread.

futbolking

I know it's early to post this, but I'm about to die to see some actual football.  Planning to watch Graham on Friday and Bluefield on Saturday.  If you fine folks could post scrimmage results and details on this thread, that would be awesome!!

Union at Tenn High

http://www.heraldcourier.com/sports/mitchells-make-their-mark-in-union-ths-scrimmage/article_03d4241a-5f6b-11e6-b359-d7acc24ea918.html

http://www.wcyb.com/sports/union-scrimmages-tennessee-high/41146570

https://twitter.com/unionbearslive

Those can give better game details than I can.

My summary....

In my humble opinion, the scrimmage was pretty even. Especially, considering it was Union's 1st and TH's 3rd.

Tenn High had smallest line I've seen them have, but very fast and aggressive on D.

Their running QB did provide a good test.

Union had 1 key two-way starter that did not participate. 1 very good O-lineman only played D for reasons I won't get into.

Biggest focus was on running game and blocking schemes. Lot of potential.

O-Line will need to gel. (needs work)

Very little passing, but QB is bigger and stronger than last year. Passes were quick and mostly accurate.

That's really about it. Very vanilla scrimmage.

Very little passing, but QB is bigger and stronger than last year. Passes were quick and mostly accurate.

Are you saying QB is bigger and stronger than last year starter Spears (at 6'1" 185)? Or do you mean last year backup Turner, which I assume will be the starter, is bigger and stronger than he was as a freshman last year?

Are you saying QB is bigger and stronger than last year starter Spears (at 6'1" 185)? Or do you mean last year backup Turner, which I assume will be the starter, is bigger and stronger than he was as a freshman last year?

Turner is bigger and stronger than HE was last year. In fact, I was very impressed at how much bigger(muscular) they all were. I knew they hit the weights hard during the offseason, but seeing is believing.

Turner is bigger and stronger than HE was last year. In fact, I was very impressed at how much bigger(muscular) they all were. I knew they hit the weights hard during the offseason, but seeing is believing.

Not been able to make any scrimmages. Would like to see Union. So the O-line didn't impress you much? Heard that all of the O-line was returning, but one due to graduation. I'm assuming it was one of the starting O-lineman from last year that was placed on defense. Did they have him as a DL or DE in the scrimmage? Just curious.

Not been able to make any scrimmages. Would like to see Union. So the O-line didn't impress you much? Heard that all of the O-line was returning, but one due to graduation. I'm assuming it was one of the starting O-lineman from last year that was placed on defense. Did they have him as a DL or DE in the scrimmage? Just curious.

Jamboree, the 19th, at J.I. Burton. 

O-line didn't impress me in the scrimmage. Just being honest. Size and potential is there to be good. Hopefully, they will gel and get more comfortable with the blocking schemes before games start.

They did have 4/5 O-line return, but 1 was DL only in the scrimmage. Not sure if that is a permanent change or not. A good sized sophomore took his place on offense.

I have not seen any official 2016 roster for Union High but I was told that Bailey Turner, the likely QB for this year's Bears, will probably be listed at about 6'0" 180 lbs.  Do those dimensions seem to match his appearance on the field at the Stone Castle?

I heard that Union's primary returning ball carrier did not play in the first scrimmage but they have several young backs competing for time on the field.

Also I suspect that the Bears will consistently two platoon the O-line and D-line and that will require some early season adjustments.  They are very deep along the line of scrimmage.

I think several of my sources at the scrimmage were pleasantly surprised by the Bears first real action this season. 

went to  cave springs scrimmage to watch gmen well was pleasantly pleased graham showed a passing game and running game against both teams. tried to keep up with scores but i thing graham scored 6 or 7 times both with long passes and one long run of 70 yards by qb against cave springs. the line on both sides of the ball did very well protecting the qb and backs. recievers need to stretch out more for the ball but graham was hitting all evening. the heat was oppressive and graham was on the sunny side of the field. over all they looked pretty good to me but just my opinion from what i saw today. even in the heat they were hitting on every play from start to finish.

Richlands didn't look terrible against GW given that it was the first 10 snaps they've taken all year. They only gave up one TD, and the starting defense didn't give up another one after that. The game ended 21-21 but when it was good vs. good it was 21-14. 

The first play of the Pulaski game didn't count. Read option ran to perfection but the refs whistled the play dead and the Richlands defense completely quit on the play. They kicked the XP really quick but in that series, Pulaski ran 11 plays so the first one didn't count. Pulaski still scored two more times in that first 10 plays, but after that Richlands locked back down except for a pass play where Harris looked like he turned the wrong way. Richlands offense looked MUCH better in this one. They scored three times and on their last play of the first 10, they got down to the 2 yard line. Good vs good ended 21-20 Pulaski. 

The Belfry matchup was the one that everyone cared about. Belfry didn't score on their first 10 plays and only got 20 yards. They wouldn't have gotten that if they counted sack yardage behind the 40. Richlands scored once in it's first 10. Belfry came out in the second 10 and scored on their last play of the series and Richlands answered with two TD to make that one finish 21-7 Richlands. 

Overall, I'm not nearly as worried about our defense as some of y'all are. DL looks downright nasty. DB will be ok (remember that Collins did not play tonight) when it's back to full strength. LB was the shaky spot, but it came along as the night went, and that's what you want. 

I'll stand by my prediction that by the end of this season, this defense will be special. 

Graham vs. Cave Spring vs. Floyd (Varsity scrimmage results)

Graham 3 td's.... Floyd Co. .... 0 td's

Graham 2 tds..... Cave Spring......0 td's

Cave Spring 2 tds.....Floyd Co.  ...0 td's.

It was a controlled scrimmage with teams each getting 10 plays on offense, followed by 10 plays on defense....   Each team got a total of 20 offensive and defensive plays against each other.... followed by 10 offensive and defensive plays against each team with backups (I didn't stay for all of that).

The first two plays had me concerned, Cave Spring tackled Jamorya Cousin for a loss on the first two plays.... Then Graham spread the field and hit T. Cooke for a long pass down to about the 20 (Meade was hurried and underthrew it a little or it would have been a td... Cooke was consistently 5 to 10 yards behind the defense all night).

Jamorya Cousin took the next carry in from 20 yards out, literally running over 2 defenders and dragging 2 more the last 5 yards into the endzone.

Graham played it conservatively, only running a few running plays and a couple of pass patterns the whole time.  Cousin touched the ball a total of 7 or 8 times, he had another run of about 30 yards called back on a penalty.

Graham also scored on a long pass to T. Cooke ( about 50 yards) against Cave Spring.

Against Floyd Co.  Graham scored on a long td run (about 80 yards) by Chandler Cooper on a QB scramble.  T. Cooke hauled in another long bomb of about 60 or 70 yards.  Ben Meade also hit Nick Morgan on a curl route from about 10 yards out.

My Impressions for Graham:

O Line.... needs some work, but did better than I tought they would, they allowed pressure on the QB against a bigger Cave Spring Team, but Meade did an excellent job of escaping pressure and picking up positive yards or getting rid of the ball.

D Line... Better than expected, but still need work, they got some pressure on the Floyd and Cave Spring QB on a couple of occasions.  Cole Carter looked good, Garret Dalton held his own (for a new guy)...Mason, Workman, Oaks looked good at times too.  Couple more played, but I didn't know their names.

LBs:  Awesome job:  Graham only played with 2 LB's, Vineyard and Cousin did as expected, they laid the wood a few times.

CBs:  Great job defending

Safeties  Yes (Plural)  Graham played with two safeties... they did a great job of recognizing pass from run and came up to make plays when necessary.

Overall, the defense was the biggest surprise of the day for me, they only allowed a few plays of more than 2 or 3 yards...only one big gainer... a 30 yard pass that the receiver stretched out for.  

Graham played rather conservatively, as well as the other teams too.  Floyd did not have much team speed, but had a big D Line.  Cave Spring was big on both sides of the ball on the line, but didn't have a lot of team speed (at least compared to Graham).

I was impressed for their first time out.  Can't wait to see them again next week.

Also, Jazaire Reed, the transfer from Bluefield did a decent job at RB and LB when he was in there. Chris Shinault had a couple of decent runs as well.

I know its still early and our d didnt look the best at this time last year but this defence looks lost and slow...better get it fixed in the next 2 weeks

Defense looked really good on the last scrimmage against Belfry. Im more concerned with the running game. Couldnt get any yards rushing. They gotta figure that out.

Defense looked really good on the last scrimmage against Belfry. Im more concerned with the running game. Couldnt get any yards rushing. They gotta figure that out.

Collins didn't play and he will likely be the RB we rely on most this year. 

Asbury, Ball, and Howie only played 30 total plays. Clearly trying to keep them healthy and fresh. I was VERY impressed with Taylor Horn. He tore it up in basketball last year as a freshman and he looked good tonight. 

Asbury, Ball, and Howie only played 30 total plays. Clearly trying to keep them healthy and fresh. I was VERY impressed with Taylor Horn. He tore it up in basketball last year as a freshman and he looked good tonight.

What number was he?

Richlands backs fumbled a couple and their qb threw it straight to the DB a couple times. Looked like it might've been the wrong routes run.

I thought George Wythe scored twice in the first 10 plays, Ryan?

Pulaski only tried to throw a few times on Richlands. 3 big pass plays and tbh there wasn't a DB close.

Richlands D looked better against Belfry but to be fair they were running the triple option and Richlands shot 4 people at the center most plays. But they stopped the run for the most part which is the opposite from the big chunks of yards that they gave up to Pulaski County.

The level of play in Kentucky must not be as high as in SWVA. Belfry had some good athletes but they weren't nearly as good as what you would expect a 3 time state champ to be. George Wythe played right with them for the most part.

I'd go

1. Pulaski

2. Richlands

3A. George Wythe

3B. Belfry

How did Booker do?

I thought he looked pretty good. Ran the ball pretty well with the 2s and made a couple good plays at receiver with the 1s. Did drop 1 open pass and bit on a play action and left his man open for the TD but it was the first scrimmage.

How did Booker do?

Had a big drop and got burnt on a TD. Think he caught a TD pass (looked out of bounds to me but I think they counted it) He really excelled playing with The 2's though.

On a side note, was #31 booker's brother? That kid could really play. He'll be tough in a couple years.

Had a big drop and got burnt on a TD. Think he caught a TD pass (looked out of bounds to me but I think they counted it) He really excelled playing with The 2's though.

On a side note, was #31 booker's brother? That kid could really play. He'll be tough in a couple years.

Yeh im pretty sure he is. Looked really good. #42 or 41 looked good as well, he can sure lay a stiff arm.