Scrimmage Results Thread.

futbolking

Anyone know how Giles and Hidden Valley scrimmage went?

I heard that the offense looked pretty good...blocked well for a first scrimmage and the backs ran hard...defense needs some work as most teams do at this point and we need to develop some depth....prettty pleased with the scrimmage from what i heard. Hidden Valley has a good QB and a D1 WR going to Navy.

Watched Bluefield-Cburg today and my god Bluefield is fast on both sides of the ball...and they will knock your head off on defense. They may just put a good ole whopping on Giles in the benefit game Friday night...But it won't do anything but help Giles in the long run

The 1st series Lee played their starters which 4 or 5 of those are sophomores. Second was the rest of the players rotated in and out which includes 1 freshman. Lee only has around 13 on JV which are all freshman except 1 sophomore that they use on defense only. Central didn't have their starting QB or Running backs due to injuries or so I was told that's the reason they wasn't playing. Lee is a really young team this year and the average player is a tad on the smaller size compared to that of Tazewell or Central, But I do think personally that Coach Pendergraft will be a asset as Lee's head football coach. Only time will tell!!! The Harris kid for Tazewell can flat out run the ball. It was a tougher scrimmage for Lee high than scrimmaging Tazewell,Tn like we have the past few years.

But it won't do anything but help Giles in the long run

Seriously?  I never knew that playing good competition, even in a scrimmage, won't help your team in the long run.  Learn something new everyday...

image.png

1)  Everyone can use a good ass-kicking every now and then.  Brings you back to reality and shows you what you need to work on.

2)  Maybe after seeing Bluefield's speed "in real time", you'll be better prepared for some of those schools from central VA the next time you meet up in the playoffs.

But, who am I to say that?  I don't know anything about it...

And, ironically, wasn't good enough to carry the rock at Graham...

I would like to see Cooper carry the ball some.  He had a tremendous run against Floyd Co and showed a good burst of speed on a 65 yard td run.  Harris was a good #2 option for Graham, but Graham has others who can fill that spot.  Reed is not as fast, but is more physical.  Chris Shinault showed some speed and elusiveness.  Vineyard is a bulldozer.  I would really like to see Cooper or Allen play some RB when they are not playing QB.  I think they would be good options at that position, they both have good speed and toughness.  On Defense, Graham is very fast at the skill positions and he won't be missed.   A couple of the defenders are still trying to drag people to the ground or strip the ball instead of tackle them, so that needs fixed.

I heard that the offense looked pretty good...blocked well for a first scrimmage and the backs ran hard...defense needs some work as most teams do at this point and we need to develop some depth....prettty pleased with the scrimmage from what i heard. Hidden Valley has a good QB and a D1 WR going to Navy.

Watched Bluefield-Cburg today and my god Bluefield is fast on both sides of the ball...and they will knock your head off on defense. They may just put a good ole whopping on Giles in the benefit game Friday night...But it won't do anything but help Giles in the long run

They destroyed Christiansburg last year, also.  According to a friend of mine down that way, CBurg will struggle to win 2 or 3 games this year.  They lost the only kid with any speed that they had in their qb, who transferred to another school.  Last season, Bluefield could have scored at will against them, but they sat Reed and Collier down after they scored 4 times on their first 5 touches in last years scrimmage.   Giles may fare a little better in their scrimmage, we'll see.

Graham is gonna have to pass block better so Taymon doesn't have to wait on them throws. He looked at least 5 yards past the defense every play.

My thoughts exactly. Mead did a good job to get away from pressure, but it's hard to throw on the run. They just ran the deep patterns in the scrimmage. Would like to see more short passes and slants etc... Designed rollouts.

My thoughts exactly. Mead did a good job to get away from pressure, but it's hard to throw on the run. They just ran the deep patterns in the scrimmage. Would like to see more short passes and slants etc... Designed rollouts.

With Meade being a smaller build I was a little worried about arm strength but each throw on the video was 35-45 yards in the air. Pretty good for being under pressure and on the run. As long as the line gives him time to get comfortable he should be able to lead them on the throws instead of being a touch behind them.

With Meade being a smaller build I was a little worried about arm strength but each throw on the video was 35-45 yards in the air. Pretty good for being under pressure and on the run. As long as the line gives him time to get comfortable he should be able to lead them on the throws instead of being a touch behind them.

Looked like Cooke had to wait on all of them but one but he was being pressured. If the qb has the arm strength and the protection this yr they could be a very dangerous combo. Week 1 cant get here soon enough.

Mead had a throw of over 50 yards in the air at the scrimmage when he had time to set. I was impressed with his arm strength for a smaller player. He is throwing against his body when he scrambles to be left and that is difficult for any QB.