Richlands @ Gate City

Ryan4VT

May be biased but the Clinch Mountain and all those other conferences I have heard about in the past from that end of the state do not really match up with the athletes from the history of the New River, River Ridge and the Blue Ridge districts of the past. My dad has shown me a lot of film and those athletes were beasts.

Growing up in Radford, this city is very sports minded with a lot of success that speaks for itself.

My dad says people he talks to who he played against in the past in the Highlands, Southwest and Lonesome Pine live in their own little worlds. Not saying the talent wasn't good. Just not the level of Roanoke, Salem and Blacksburg area talent. In any sport that is.

If you are talking about Radford, I can think of one team they played from the Lonesome Pine that never lost to them. That team is Powell Valley.

92 PV 49, Radford 13

93 PV 36, Radford 21

94 PV 24, Radford 21

95 PV 28, Radford 7

96 PV 40, Radford 12

97 PV 21, Radford 3

PV 28, Radford 10 (Division 2 State Semi Finals)

98 PV 41, Radford 13

While Radford has fielded some good teams, I don't know if I would use them as an example of the Roanoke area's so-called superiority over far SWVA.

It is the body that awards state championships, after all. That may well be the only thing the VHSL does correctly! ;)

It would be like someone trying to invalidate every NCAA FBS title prior to 1999 because they were awarded, not earned, but only worse, because there is only one agency here that awards state championships.

And trust me when I say if they hadn't changed the FBS to what it is now, UT would not have been "awarded" anything in 1999. Fla St would have been awarded the championship, even with a starting QB sidelined due to injury.

The Series is even..

1933  Richlands  20  Gate City  18

1934  Richlands  20  Gate City  00

1938  Richlands  00  Gate City  00  tie

1940  Richlands  13  Gate City  00

1941  Gate City  19  Richlands  07

1942  Richlands  07  Gate City  00

1959  Richlands  25  Gate City  12

1960  Richlands  21  Gate City  07

1971  Gate City  38  Richlands  00

1972  Gate City  32  Richlands  14

1973  Gate City  40  Richlands  26

1974  Gate City  48  Richlands  12

1975  Gate City  35  Richlands  06

1976  Gate City  46  Richlands  14

1977  Gate City  14  Richlands  06

1978  Gate City  50  Richlands  14

1979  Richlands  31  Gate City  28

1980  Gate City  41  Richlands  06

1981  Richlands  18  Gate City  14

1984  Gate City  26  Richlands  22

1985  Gate City  26  Richlands  22

1986  Richlands  20  Gate City  17

1987  Richlands  07  Gate City  00

1988  Gate City  34  Richlands  08

1989  Gate City  21  Richlands  19

1990  Gate City  32  Richlands  08

1991  Gate City  38  Richlands  00

1992  Richlands  17  Gate City  14

1993  Richlands  20  Gate City  15

1994  Richlands  26  Gate City  14

1995  Gate City  27  Richlands  00

2001  Richlands  28  Gate City  00

2002  Gate City  42  Richlands  14

2003  Gate City  24  Richlands  14

2004  Gate City  28  Richlands  21

2005  Richlands  35  Gate City  00

2006  Richlands  48  Gate City  14

2007  Richlands  17  Gate City  00

2008  Gate City  27  Richlands  14

2009  Gate City  10  Richlands  07

2010  Richlands  31  Gate City  00

2011  Richlands  31  Gate City  13

2012  Richlands  40  Gate City  06

2013  Richlands  49  Gate City  21

2014  Gate City  28  Richlands  17

2014  Richlands  35  Gate City  28  playoff

2015  Richlands  42  Gate City  07

tied  23-23-1

Yes and no.

As I understand it, there were classifications in the 1960s, but those were elective lower divisions that were ineligible for VHSL championships. Graham played in the "highest" division, and was selected as the 1962 state champion (thanks to the VHSL putting the undefeated Andrew Lewis squad on some sort of probation).

It registers as a blanket state title (no AAA), but that didn't include every team. But then again, it didn't include teams that would have beaten Graham, either.

Andrew Lewis played an ineligible player in 1962. They weren't on probation, they had to forfeit every game.

Graham wasn't "selected" state champion. They had the highest point rating of any "Division I" school. Out of state losses did not count and you had to play a certain number of games vs Division I schools to qualify.  Graham earned the championship by the rules that were in place at that time.

" tied  23-23-1"

I hope this series continues will into the future,  I think it's been about as good as it gets between 2 very good programs that have great fan bases and atmosphere at both home stadiums !  There's been ebbs & flows in this series where 1 team seems to have the upper hand for 3 or 4 years but then it switches up and the other team get's the upper hand,  but the competition year in and year out is fantastic and helps to prepare both teams for the rest of their season.  Both programs and fan bases seem to have mutual respect for each other and not a lot of vitriol,  although of course like ALL fan bases,  there are a small few that may act like an idiot,  but thankfully it is a very small minority.

I can't wait for the game tomorrow night,  the only thing I would want is for this game and the Graham & Bluefield game to be on different nights.  I have never made it up for that game and would love to make the trip up to see it  but,  I will not miss my blues on opening night !

Good luck to all the teams and their fans and I want to wish everyone ( both players and fans )  a safe trip to and from their games and hope that we have a injury free Friday night !

Richlands ready to open the season at Gate City

excerpt:

RICHLANDS, Va. —  The Richlands football faithful will have waited 272 days to get back on the gridiron since their last official football game. A game that is seared in the minds of the underclassmen and it fueled an off season of hard work in the weight room and whatever means necessary to be ready for the upcoming football season.

Andrew Lewis played an ineligible player in 1962. They weren't on probation, they had to forfeit every game.

Graham wasn't "selected" state champion. They had the highest point rating of any "Division I" school. Out of state losses did not count and you had to play a certain number of games vs Division I schools to qualify. Graham earned the championship by the rules that were in place at that time.

Many thanks for the correction.

I heard that Gate City wasn't pre selling any tickets at their school before the game any one else hear this?

100% fact. For the 2nd year there will not be any pre selling of tickets. All tickets are to be purchased at the gate, unless you are a season ticket holder. Tickets are $6

100% fact. For the 2nd year there will not be any pre selling of tickets. All tickets are to be purchased at the gate, unless you are a season ticket holder. Tickets are $6

Just curious as to why?  Crowd control? Seems like the only school in the area that does this so i'm just curious as to the thought process.  Seems to me the best way to sell tickets is to give as many options to purchase as possible. 

Just curious as to why? Crowd control? Seems like the only school in the area that does this so i'm just curious as to the thought process. Seems to me the best way to sell tickets is to give as many options to purchase as possible.

Not sure why, unless it's for the safety of the students during school. The less people in and out of the school during school hours the safer they'll be. But to me, there's no difference in buying them at the school early Friday or buying them at the gate, either way you have to wait until the gates open to get in. Plus I'm part of the fan base that arrives to a game 3 hours before kickoff.