Richlands @ Gate City

Ryan4VT

May be biased but the Clinch Mountain and all those other conferences I have heard about in the past from that end of the state do not really match up with the athletes from the history of the New River, River Ridge and the Blue Ridge districts of the past. My dad has shown me a lot of film and those athletes were beasts.

Growing up in Radford, this city is very sports minded with a lot of success that speaks for itself.

My dad says people he talks to who he played against in the past in the Highlands, Southwest and Lonesome Pine live in their own little worlds. Not saying the talent wasn't good. Just not the level of Roanoke, Salem and Blacksburg area talent. In any sport that is.

May be biased but the Clinch Mountain and all those other conferences I have heard about in the past from that end of the state do not really match up with the athletes from the history of the New River, River Ridge and the Blue Ridge districts of the past. My dad has shown me a lot of film and those athletes were beasts.

Growing up in Radford, this city is very sports minded with a lot of success that speaks for itself.

My dad says people he talks to who he played against in the past in the Highlands, Southwest and Lonesome Pine live in their own little worlds. Not saying the talent wasn't good. Just not the level of Roanoke, Salem and Blacksburg area talent. In any sport that is.

Seems like you want your time here to be short.

They have McClung and Erving. Both will be high caliber 2A players. They have a good team around them. And their home court is tough to play at. I don't see them losing the MD, but I've been wrong before.

May be biased but the Clinch Mountain and all those other conferences I have heard about in the past from that end of the state do not really match up with the athletes from the history of the New River, River Ridge and the Blue Ridge districts of the past. My dad has shown me a lot of film and those athlete197s were beasts.

Not to be argumentative but what exactly do you mean "live in their own little worlds?" I'm thinking the old Southwest featured Gate City in the 70s. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

That said, State Champions from those districts:

1970 AA Gate City (pretty sure Southwest at the time)

1971 A    Appalachia (Lonesome Pine)

1972 A   John I. Burton (Lonesome Pine)

1974 AA Gate City (Southwest I think)

A    Clintwood (Lonesome Pine)

1975 A    Clintwood (Lonesome Pine)

1978 A    Clintwood (Lonesome Pine)

1981 A    JJ Kelly (Lonesome Pine)

1982 A    Powell Valley (Lonesome Pine)

1985 A    Powell Valley (Lonesome Pine)

1986 D4  Tazewell (Southwest)

1988 D1 Jonesville (Cumberland, not one of the 3 mentioned districts but still very worth mentioning)

1989 D3 Graham (Southwest)

D2 Powell Valley (Lonesome Pine)

D1 Appalachia (Lonesome Pine)

1990 D2 Powell Valley (Lonesome Pine)

1992 D4 Richlands (Southwest)

1994 D2 Powell Valley (Lonesome Pine)

1995 D3 Graham (Southwest)

1996 D1 Appalachia (Lonesome Pine)

1997 D3 Gate City (Highlands)

1998 D2 Powell Valley (Lonesome Pine)

2003 D2 Gate City (Lonesome Pine)

2006 D3 Richlands (Southwest)

2010 D2 Gate City (Clinch Mountain)

2011 D1 Clintwood (Lonesome Pine)

Lately, the Roanoke area versus far Southwest VA would probably be more in favor of the Roanoke area. I don't know if it would have been on a regular basis but it wouldn't be farfetched to say that some of those teams mentioned from the past (that are in or were part of those districts you mentioned) could have probably taken some of those teams. Some that come to mind are 1998 Powell Valley, the Graham teams that won state, the 1970 and 1974 Gate City teams, and Richlands in 1992.  Heck that 1992 Richlands team actually beat Salem for the state semis.

They have McClung and Erving. Both will be high caliber 2A players. They have a good team around them. And their home court is tough to play at. I don't see them losing the MD, but I've been wrong before.

*Ervin

McClung and Ervin already have D1 offers.

With the addition of Bradley Dean who will be a Freshmen who single handily outscored most JV teams himself last season will have his own D1 offers in a year or so. He dropped 60+ points himself vs Dobyns-Bennett back during early days of summer. Dean is pure shooter from anywhere on the court, and I truly mean, anywhere. Plus we have Collier who is just an athlete with the likes of some great JV players in who will be making their way onto the varsity scene this season. But the big 3 (McClung, Ervin, and Dean) for GC will be hard to stop.

Anyway, back to football, hope for safe travels to all the Richlands faithful this Friday. Akers will have a hell of an atmosphere to debut in Blue and White on the sidelines. Pretty sure tickets are $6 this season.

Yeah............I expect if GC has any drop off in basketball from last year, it will be slight. Looking forward to seeing Dean at the varsity level. Might be the best pure shooter ever at GC. We are still missing a big man in the middle. That hurts.

Looking forward to seeing the "new' Blue Devils on Friday. Not looking forward to the final score. Honestly, I expect Richlands to be able to name the score.

Just have to hope for an injury free game, and look for players to hustle until the final whistle. 

Not to be argumentative but what exactly do you mean "live in their own little worlds?" I'm thinking the old Southwest featured Gate City in the 70s. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

That said, State Champions from those districts:

1970 AA Gate City (pretty sure Southwest at the time)

1971 A    Appalachia (Lonesome Pine)

1972 A   John I. Burton (Lonesome Pine)

1974 AA Gate City (Southwest I think)

A    Clintwood (Lonesome Pine)

1975 A    Clintwood (Lonesome Pine)

1978 A    Clintwood (Lonesome Pine)

1981 A    JJ Kelly (Lonesome Pine)

1982 A    Powell Valley (Lonesome Pine)

1985 A    Powell Valley (Lonesome Pine)

1986 D4  Tazewell (Southwest)

1988 D1 Jonesville (Cumberland, not one of the 3 mentioned districts but still very worth mentioning)

1989 D3 Graham (Southwest)

1990 D2 Powell Valley (Lonesome Pine)

1992 D4 Richlands (Southwest)

1994 D2 Powell Valley (Lonesome Pine)

1995 D3 Graham (Southwest)

1996 D1 Appalachia (Lonesome Pine)

1997 D3 Gate City (Highlands)

1998 D2 Powell Valley (Lonesome Pine)

2003 D2 Gate City (Lonesome Pine)

2006 D3 Richlands (Southwest)

2010 D2 Gate City (Clinch Mountain)

2011 D1 Clintwood (Lonesome Pine)

Lately, the Roanoke area versus far Southwest VA would probably be more in favor of the Roanoke area. I don't know if it would have been on a regular basis but it wouldn't be farfetched to say that some of those teams mentioned from the past (that are in or were part of those districts you mentioned) could have probably taken some of those teams. Some that come to mind are 1998 Powell Valley, the Graham teams that won state, the 1970 and 1974 Gate City teams, and Richlands in 1992.  Heck that 1992 Richlands team actually beat Salem for the state semis.

And if they had state champs in the 60's you could probably add aboiaboiut 3 or 4 more to Appalachia's total

Why is that? Are they not allowed to finish that low in Gate City? (I jest.)

The McClung person you spoke of. One person does not make a team nor two if they have two for that matter. You need a complete team to be really good. Radford has shown that for many years. Good luck this year tho.

Gate City has a tough basketball team. They have the most talent in the MD as far as basketball is concerned. That's why they will likely finish second to no one in basketball. Also, if this football season will be as bad as some people think it will be for Gate City, then they will probably have an easier time to start. 

Back to the topic, I have predicted Richlands 28-7. I'm moving more along the lines of 42-7. Maybe even worse. McClung leaving football for basketball will hurt tremendously. Collier's injury just makes it worse. 

You are joking, right?  Some of the most storied programs in the state's history......  Hard nosed, hard hitting "football".  Not that sissy stuff the rest of the state plays.

1962 and I think recognized by the vhsl as a AAA title? Awarded or earned it is still a heck of an accomplishment.

Yes and no.

As I understand it, there were classifications in the 1960s, but those were elective lower divisions that were ineligible for VHSL championships. Graham played in the "highest" division, and was selected as the 1962 state champion (thanks to the VHSL putting the undefeated Andrew Lewis squad on some sort of probation).

It registers as a blanket state title (no AAA), but that didn't include every team. But then again, it didn't include teams that would have beaten Graham, either.

Yeah..............and the VHSL is never wrong. :) (kidding)

It is the body that awards state championships, after all. That may well be the only thing the VHSL does correctly! ;)

It would be like someone trying to invalidate every NCAA FBS title prior to 1999 because they were awarded, not earned, but only worse, because there is only one agency here that awards state championships.

The River Ridge and Blue Ridge were not formed until 2003-2004 school year, if memory serves.  A little over a decade doesn't scream "history".  The New River has been non-existent for well over two decades and never really produced anyone of note that I can recall.  Some very good athletes came through the New River District but not on a national and even professional level like far SWVA.  I competed in the New River District from 1989-1991.  Donny and Sidney Snell come to mind but not much more than that to be honest other than Shayne Graham.

If you want history, look up Calvin Talford on Youtube.  It will be well worth your investment of time.  You will even find a snippet in one of those videos of him dunking on a blonde, white kid with limited ability.  That long lost kid would be me.  Talford was the singular best athlete I ever played against.  He went on to play basketball at ETSU, win an NCAA dunk contest and help lead ETSU to what may be the biggest NCAA Tournament upset of all time.

While your on Youtube, check out Heath Miller, Julius Jones, Thomas Jones, Ahmad Bradshaw or Boo Sensabaugh to name a few.  If you wish to speak to some knowledgeable fans with memories going back generations on this board, ask them about Bill Dudley from Bluefield.

Radford and other New River schools have produced some fine athletes as well as some talented teams over the years but they pale in comparison to what far SWVA has produced.  Roanoke area schools not named Salem haven't historically had tremendous success against SWVA powers.  I was in Victory Stadium when Ahmad Bradshaw rushed for well over 300 yards and scored 5 TD's as Graham beat PH-Roanoke like a rented mule in 2001, I believe.

Just the opinion of someone who grew up in Fries and currently resides in Galax.

The River Ridge and Blue Ridge were not formed until 2003-2004 school year, if memory serves.  A little over a decade doesn't scream "history".  The New River has been non-existent for well over two decades and never really produced anyone of note that I can recall.  Some very good athletes came through the New River District but not on a national and even professional level like far SWVA.  I competed in the New River District from 1989-1991.  Donny and Sidney Snell come to mind but not much more than that to be honest other than Shayne Graham.

If you want history, look up Calvin Talford on Youtube.  It will be well worth your investment of time.  You will even find a snippet in one of those videos of him dunking on a blonde, white kid with limited ability.  That long lost kid would be me.  Talford was the singular best athlete I ever played against.  He went on to play basketball at ETSU, win an NCAA dunk contest and help lead ETSU to what may be the biggest NCAA Tournament upset of all time.

While your on Youtube, check out Heath Miller, Julius Jones, Thomas Jones, Ahmad Bradshaw or Boo Sensabaugh to name a few.  If you wish to speak to some knowledgeable fans with memories going back generations on this board, ask them about Bill Dudley from Bluefield.

Radford and other New River schools have produced some fine athletes as well as some talented teams over the years but they pale in comparison to what far SWVA has produced.  Roanoke area schools not named Salem haven't historically had tremendous success against SWVA powers.  I was in Victory Stadium when Ahmad Bradshaw rushed for well over 300 yards and scored 5 TD's as Graham beat PH-Roanoke like a rented mule in 2001, I believe.

Just the opinion of someone who grew up in Fries and currently resides in Galax.

I should also add, one of Radford's best athletes in recent years has SWVA roots.  Heth Grant is the grandson of Clintwood legend Johnny McFall.