Coach Thad Wells

SWVAgridiron

Give this guy props, he came out the 1st quarter and made Giles look like they were lost. He has definitely brought a spark back to Bburg and he has the talent on his team to go far with it. He chose to onside kick the first kickoff and they got it so I won't underestimate his decision to do that anymore. It was a battle, but Giles took the momentum away from them in the 3rd which led to them going up 2 tds. Its still early in the season but I think I've underestimated Giles coming into this season. I see them as being a load for any team.

He needs to learn how to play his best 11 on the field, this one way bs is bs ...........   Gile's defense didnt look anywhere as tired as Bburgs d going 1 way.  And I bet they had 7 or 8 kids going both ways. Congrats to Giles for our yearly ass whipping,  maybe one day when we have learned The Indian Nation will return. 

I believe most high school coaches that have the numbers and talent level would only play their kids one way.  I think Gate City and Burton are good examples of this, wearing down as the game went on. 

Coach Wells is an innovator and if supported by commitment from his team and coaches,  Bruins fans,  and left alone by the bleacher coaches, he should do fine.    He was successful as the OC at Richlands and Virginia High.    Time has a way of proving success or failure. 

No offense, but you sound like a disgruntled parent....

I've heard a lot of BBurg fans upset that he has some of his better players playing only one way because he "don't want anyone going both ways"....this guy may be a parent who knows but he isn't the only person over the mountain that feels this way

Richlands has plenty of guys who only go one way. Ball, Collins, Dye, some of the O line. They all play one way. And a lot of guys, like Lowe, play 80% one way. If your guys are fresh at the end of the game, that's a big plus. I would rather a team go one way only if the coach thought he could do it.

Richlands has plenty of guys who only go one way. Ball, Collins, Dye, some of the O line. They all play one way. And a lot of guys, like Lowe, play 80% one way. If your guys are fresh at the end of the game, that's a big plus. I would rather a team go one way only if the coach thought he could do it.

I wasnt at the game last night but is collins not playing safety?

The game has changed. Line up in the Wishbone on Offense, the 5-3 on Defense and start 11 both ways and you will get embarassed in any classification other than 1A. Too much speed, quickness and size on Defense to run 3 back offenses effectively and consistently.

Starting your best 11 is something only desperate schools have to do. A school the size of Blacksburg should be able to find at least 14-15 players to start on O and D.

Not sure if i like that move. I understand its to keep him fresh on offense but i think hes too valuable on defense. Made some key plays in the union game last year.

They had Howie at safety instead. They did a good job of rotating guys all night. We'll see real quick if any changes need to be made.

The game has changed. Line up in the Wishbone on Offense, the 5-3 on Defense and start 11 both ways and you will get embarassed in any classification other than 1A. Too much speed, quickness and size on Defense to run 3 back offenses effectively and consistently.

Starting your best 11 is something only desperate schools have to do. A school the size of Blacksburg should be able to find at least 14-15 players to start on O and D.

I concur both way players should never happen after 3a,

offense and defense systems can transcend classes. However the stigma that unless you are doing something that resembles what you see on Saturday, you are "wrong"

• 5 weeks later...

I listened to the post game interview after Blacksburg lost last minute 44-45 to Hidden Valley. When they interviewed Wells he took some of the credit for the loss and admitted that he made mistakes. How often do you see a high school coach do that?

He learned from the best !