Union @ Richlands

Ryan4VT

No expert here. Been wrong before. Will be wrong again. If I'm right you won't see me on here crowing about it. As for the Richlands D, they were in the backfield ready to take the handoff before GCs rb could on most plays.

Yeh, but, Gate City is terrible...

GC won't be terrible when their QB comes back. They won't run the table, but I promise you they'll be in the thick of things barring more injuries. A lot of mistakes made Friday night are fixable.

I agree.

GC scrimmage with Glenvar first possession for GC with Collier, GC methodically took it down the field 5 and 6 yard pops and put it in the end zone.  He had some nice passes before he when out. Have to agree, get him healthy get rid of mistakes and by season end they will be will be much improved.

The old saying is that you make your biggest improvement from Week 1 to Week 2. Union needs to go from Vanderbilt to Alabama in that secondary if they hope to have any chance to stop the passing game. Maybe they can use their stable of RBs to run the clock and play keep away. 

I don't think that the Bears are supposed to win this game, but they weren't supposed to win in 2013 or 14 either. Who knows?

The old saying is that you make your biggest improvement from Week 1 to Week 2. Union needs to go from Vanderbilt to Alabama in that secondary if they hope to have any chance to stop the passing game. Maybe they can use their stable of RBs to run the clock and play keep away. 

I don't think that the Bears are supposed to win this game, but they weren't supposed to win in 2013 or 14 either. Who knows?

Exactly. I have thought Richlands was going to win all five of these games, but they've all been close affairs. Who knows at this point. I think the game being at Richlands helps.

new here ,but I have observed this board for years. One thing I know that never changes,both Union and Richlands are very well coached(except the D at Clarke county game was very in-prepared.Both Union and Richlands had bad nights last week but I would expect both teams to bring their A-game Friday. I would expect balls to be sailing all over the place for Richlands and a lot of the fullhouse backfield for Union,dont be surprised to see MITCHELL lining up as d-end to chase down your q-back with a dime package in the secondary.i know that opens up the run but I guess you have to pick your poison right. I have seen some great games between UNION and RICHLANDS ,and I expect the same Friday night....oh yeah better watch Owens number 17 from Union he is a playmaker, kinda like Noaks was last year

I certainly think Richlands must be considered the favorite in this week's game at Ernie Hicks Stadium. But Union has the potential to make it close again this year. As I have posted, and continue to maintain, Union's crop of running backs is very good and I think the team's running game is going to be much better than last year. Maybe it can keep the Bears in the contest.

I think Luke Stidham, who scored a TD in the JIB game, is a fine fullback. He's listed at 230lbs and runs hard. In general, the Bears backfield is fairly big with both Zirkle and Owens at 190lbs. Several posters noted that the Raiders ran out of steam in the second half - I think that was in part do to pounding from the Union OL & backfield.

I'll predict a final score of Richlands 35 & Union 21.  

I haven't missed a game in two years for the bears,all things being equal the blues win it on paper, but heart plays a big part of any battle.it will come down to a play or two. last Thursday, turner tried out some real young kids on defense, some worked some didn't ,I would look for a stronger defensive showing by the bears with them trying to rattle the qb, I think the bears playing keep away and MITCHELL being in the backfield all night is the only way we have a shot

I had made a mistake about Collins in another thread. He played the first series at safety, then they held him out of defense because of that ankle he's been battling. He still played offense, just took him off of defense. We will rotate a lot of guys on defense, but he will be a safety for us this year. Just to clarify a previous statement. Also, Howie is fine. 

Ryan, glad to hear that Howie is okay. 

Lord willing, I will be traversing to Ernie Friday nite to see my Blues play.  Listened to the game last week on net and I miss Chace going across the middle to grab those catches.  I know he has put on some weight since last year, I guess bulking up to play RB.  Hope he still has quickness of the past.  He has always been one of my favorites on the team, even when he looked no bigger than a toothpick, with his commitment and work ethic. 

Well, I am going to go with my Blues for the win. With the Blues crowd that will be there, hopefully,  the 12th man can disrupt the flow of the game for the Bears.  Think this partially is why the Blues were off kilter last week in first half, with the constant barrage of GC fans on both sides and the every present sound of cow bells. 

GO BLUES!!!!!!!!!!!

LET'S FINISH

I'm a union faithful an my be bias but why does it look like richlands wins on paper? Seems like they match up to a T to me. The blues have a nasty QB an that probably puts them a little better on paper. But it just paper just my thoughts.

That's exactly the point. It's on paper. 

The reason Richlands looks better on paper is their defense for starters. John Luke Asbury is an excellent, experienced QB. Scottie Ball, if I'm not mistaken is a great athlete too. Plus, the game is at Richlands.

Union is very good still but they are young this year and that youth may hurt them in a game or two, this being one. 

2013 was kind of a miracle for Union against Richlands as all Richlands had to do with a few minutes left was run the clock while moving the ball. They didn't move the ball very well at that point and Union was able to score a quick game tying TD and then a pick 6 got Union the win. 

Then in 2014 after being down 28-7 in the 4th quarter, Union began a nice comeback bid and won. 

Last year was neck and neck. It came down to a missed extra point. 

I think Richlands will most likely win this game. It'll be close.

My first post of the year and I gotta start off by saying how refreshing it is to read a thread and not see the typical "You suck, we are awesome, this happened 10 years ago..blah blah blah" that sometimes comes with a big game like this. So kudos to all you guys (or gals..)!  I'm in agreement with all that's been said. This game will probably be the biggest regular season game (other than maybe Richlands v. Abingdon) this season as far as hype. I'm a Union "homer" so of course I'll be pulling for the Bears and I really think they have a shot. They are a very different team than last season, but not in bad ways. Our pass D worries me a little. Offensively we are good, not as explosive as last year but we have several weapons, other than Mitchell.

Here's a few things I'm looking forward to: 1-Can Union's D shape up and cover a pass? 2-Will Union's run game be as effective as it "should" be? and 3- I'm looking forward to seeing JLA throw the football. I told some football friends when he was a sophomore that he had the best arm I had seen since Travis Turner.

All in all, hoping for a well played, safe football game. Both teams have potential for another great regular season and a deep run.