Saturday

BigO

I know this belongs in College Football...but let's face it, no one goes there. And with the importance of the UT/VT game I'm hoping mods will let us discuss here. So, with that said, who wins and why?

I'll start....Vols win due to overall talent and depth/experience. DB's will prevent Evans from having success deep. And LBs will stuff the run short of 2nd level. Dobbs will be given the option to run more which will open up passing when he rolls out. Hurd will go 24/115. Dobbs will go 14/26 with 275 yds..3 TDs. He will gain 80 yds on the ground.

UT 38

VT 13

The line on this game is 11.5. I think VT covers the spread. Tennessee's OL looked abysmal against very small APPST defensive linemen. VT is 4/5 deep at DT and 3/4 deep at end. Our best CB returns this week, and his replacement looked very good against Liberty. The LBs are still untested, but Tr. Edmunds is a man at LB.

I don't think Dobbs is any bit impressive throwing the ball. He makes terrible decisions consistently. If the VT defensive line can contain the run and make him pass the ball, that feeds into VTs hands.

On offense, I don't think we saw 10% of the playbook against Liberty. I'm baffled by the fact that Teller isn't starting at LG. Blows my mind. He came in the game last week and the offense moved the ball every time. If the Hokies can get any semblance of a run game and force UT to play man coverage on their highly skilled WR, this could be a game.

Either way, I think the winner is within 7 points.

I felt this way before the season started and I feel the same way after the first week, Vols win but they get all they want and then some.

VT will get it together on Offense and when they do watch out, the pieces are there. Its much the same story on Defense. Really, Tennessee is in the same situation.

This is a BIG game and I think both teams will benefit greatly from it in the long term.

Ive never been big on Dobbs. I talked to a bunch of UT fans over the weekend and we all sorta noticed that UT and VT cant seem to develop QBs. Seems like every few years a QB comes in to either program and it "wow hes really good for a Sophomore, in a year or two hes gonna be great!" but that development never seems to take place. Hopefully with Fuente Tech can remedy that.  

I felt this way before the season started and I feel the same way after the first week, Vols win but they get all they want and then some.

VT will get it together on Offense and when they do watch out, the pieces are there. Its much the same story on Defense. Really, Tennessee is in the same situation.

This is a BIG game and I think both teams will benefit greatly from it in the long term.

Ive never been big on Dobbs. I talked to a bunch of UT fans over the weekend and we all sorta noticed that UT and VT cant seem to develop QBs. Seems like every few years a QB comes in to either program and it "wow hes really good for a Sophomore, in a year or two hes gonna be great!" but that development never seems to take place. Hopefully with Fuente Tech can remedy that.

I couldn't agree more about Dobbs. His down field passing has most definitely been subpar, at best. If he doesn't run some to keep the DBs honest, his down field passing will struggle even more. And Ryan is right too...UT off line was abysmal against App St. 2 things to remember, Coleman had a bad ankle which didn't help. And App St is pretty freaking good team...and their small size only added more speed. I went back and watched the game again and UT seriously used like only 11 or 12 different plays. I didn't see the VT game but from what is being said, VT was similar. That adds a ton of variables to the game and will be the difference. You can't plan for something you haven't seen. I'll stick to my score prediction but it will be closer than that at half.

Never said he was a great passer but he's a great football player. Way better than the pitiful performance on Thursday night.

He's a great runner. But if VT can just contain the run a little bit and make him pass, it could be what Tech needs to keep it close.

A few observations from last week.

On the Tennessee game, a couple of issues came into play. Appy State came to play. Tennessee overlooked them. That was rather obvious. While I do think my Vols are deserving of a top 15 ranking, I don't think they are quite there for a top 10 ranking....yet. Minus a couple of goof ups, Tennessee's defense was good. The offense wasn't playing their best and I think that's one reason why that game was a scare. 

Virginia Tech was so-so. They didn't really look any better than UT even with a 3-4 touchdown win. The first quarter and a half, Liberty gave them problems. Liberty's offense wasn't any good. 

I may be biased. Like Herbstreit said, the Vols will bounce back at Bristol and win. Virginia Tech will give them a game. 

Tennessee 35-21

Tennessee played significantly better competition in App St. than VT played in Liberty.  I'm not sure that means anything come Saturday but one thing I believe has been evident in Butch Jones tenure in Knoxville, he is limited at best, incompetent at worst at making in-game adjustments.  I believe Foster's defense keeps the game close early and Fuente makes some late adjustments to win a close game.

Now, with all that said, Tennessee will win by multiple touchdowns because I made a prediction!

Sixcat - did Spurlin play any? I seen that he was dressed on the sideline.

No. It's my understanding, the plan is to red-shirt him.  He moved to the defensive line a few weeks ago and he is still learning the position.  Plus, he has some talented seniors ahead of him on the depth chart.

His time will come. He needs to be patient.

Tennessee played significantly better competition in App St. than VT played in Liberty. 

Last time those two losers played...

10/11/14 - Liberty 55  Appy St. 48

I know its an eggs to apple comparison but I thought I'd just throw that out there...

I'm not so sure if Tennessee overlooked Appy State or if Appy State is really good.

Third part to that...

Or Tennessee isn't as good as their preseason Top 10 ranking...

The line on this game is 11.5. I think VT covers the spread. Tennessee's OL looked abysmal against very small APPST defensive linemen. VT is 4/5 deep at DT and 3/4 deep at end. Our best CB returns this week, and his replacement looked very good against Liberty. The LBs are still untested, but Tr. Edmunds is a man at LB.

I don't think Dobbs is any bit impressive throwing the ball. He makes terrible decisions consistently. If the VT defensive line can contain the run and make him pass the ball, that feeds into VTs hands.

On offense, I don't think we saw 10% of the playbook against Liberty. I'm baffled by the fact that Teller isn't starting at LG. Blows my mind. He came in the game last week and the offense moved the ball every time. If the Hokies can get any semblance of a run game and force UT to play man coverage on their highly skilled WR, this could be a game.

Either way, I think the winner is within 7 points.

From what i've heard he has a serious attitude problem and thought the starting job was his since he started last year....He found out different...I'm sure it was just a message being sent to him and hopefully he got the message because he is pretty darn good when in the game

Last time those two losers played...

10/11/14 - Liberty 55  Appy St. 48

I know its an eggs to apple comparison but I thought I'd just throw that out there...

I was going to throw that out there too but figured I would get blasted with the "THAT GAME WAS TWO YEARS AGO" crap.

Appy State actually won the Sun Belt in 2014 also, although they were bowl ineligible because of being a new member to FBS.

Not so fast! The Vols are going to need Lady Luck on there side. AppState's D is good but Tech's is better and Tech is going to score. If they play like they did last week Vols will lose on prime time and in front of the biggest crowd ever. If the play up to there potential they will win hands down. Let's see who shows up to play?