Stats per Bristol Herald -Abingdon/Blacksburg

First down:  A 20, B 27

Rushes yards:  A 29-151, B 35-33

Passing yards:  A 267, B 474

Comp-Att-Int:  A 19-31-1, B 33-46-2

Fumbles-lost:  A  0-0, B 0-0

Penalties yards:  A 10-90, B 11-100

Punts-Average:  A 2-42, B 2-36.5

It sounded like AHS was very weak in pass coverage across the middle. Hopefully Reed can shore that up. I'm sure Mance will see that easily. With a QB like Asbury and his group of WRs that could spell big game for their O. Luckily for AHS they have a few games to make changes before playing RHS.

no

, But I 'm a native Blacksburg Indian. And everything I have posted is FACT.  What team wouldn't like to start  on the 50 or better  every series.  I'm not the only one in the burg that feels this way , just the vocal one.

1bburgfan must be a digruntied, ex coach at Blacksburg, from his remarks on Coach Wells.

It was back and forth for the first half. Abingdon certainly pulled ahead in the 4th. The Terry kid is one of the fastest high school players I've seen. The turning point in the game was the INT inside the red zone. After that, all the momentum swung the Falcons way and it appeared like they weren't going to look back. Blacksburg was definitely a quality opponent. They look a lot like Richlands I assume Coach Wells brought that mentality with him. But I give ton's of credit to Abingdon,they never quit,never looked out of the game,and finished strong with a 20-0 run in the final quarter.

AHS showed tons of grit on Friday.  Blacksburg has some very good players.   I know what the statistics say about kicking onside and going for it on 4th down blah, blah, blah.  I just don't think that it is a sound decision.  I think that it is very important to play the field position game, especially when you are holding Abingdon's offense in check and take away any momentum they may have.

I wasn't at the game but I listened on the radio. It certainly sounded like Wells did a great job of finding a pass defense weakness and exploiting it. Sounded like they had receivers open across the middle all night. Did AHS not adjust at half for that? Mance sees that film and he's chomping at the bit to unleash Asbury and crew. But AHS will have their hands full with Graham before that. I'm just glad to see AHS playing up to their ability with this new staff. I have flashbacks to the days of Bowles and cringe at the thought of how badly they would have been beaten by a number of the teams we have beaten since Reed and crew came. It's been nice to go to games and not feel defeated before driving in.

AHS definitely stepped it up in the second half.  Pass rush was better and coverage.  AHS also forced BBurg into several mistakes and capitalized on them.  Not sure how that film would help Mance but you prepare for every team differently.  The Falcons have made measurable improvements on defense from last year and get better each week this season.  It appeared they started doing the little better the second half of the BBurg game.  I don't take anything away from the Bruins, they're fast and have some really good athletes.  The Terry kid is the real deal and there are a few others that are playmakers on that squad.  I would say OL play was their Achilles heel.  Our D-Line was just better off the ball the second half.  Lots of pressure and disruption.   

I think film helps coaches immensely. Otherwise, why look at it? The QB for BBurg threw for 474 yds. I'm a fan of AHS, and of this coaching staff. But when you have a QB like Asbury with the WRs he has available, you look for opportunity through film study. In 2014 AHS diced RHS across the middle and seam routes. All night. I feel certain that opening was discovered through film study. Trust me, Mance will watch that film and even talk to Wells. He'd be a fool not to....and he ain't no fool.