Timmons to serve as boys & girls HC at Virginia High

Beamerball

Don't know how he'll manage both coaching positions...but,  he agreed to accept the challenge as an Interim coach for the boys team ...so kudos to him.

I saw him coach a group of boys in an AAU tournament at Woodward Academy in College Park, GA  last year.  My only time ever being at an AAU tourney and it was interesting to say the least.  The kids playing for him were from SWVA and NE TN...and some were VERY good players on their respective high school teams.

When the GA team came out to warm up against the SWVA/NETN team ..  the other team was big...several kids on there  6'3" and over,...  they could 'ball and jump' too.  It was my first and only time seeing Coach Timmons in action and the job he did was remarkable.  He made the right decisions, he had those boys believing  they could compete with the GA team...and you know what,  they did compete.  They lost in a close game but it was nothing to hang one's head about. The SWVA/NETN team went on to win their next game later that night and was in the championship game the next day... against you guessed it...the same team...(I was not at the championship game.) Yes, they lost... but the SWVA/NETN BB players and Coach Timmons  represented our area well.

saw him coach a group of boys in an AAU tournament at Woodward Academy in College Park, GA  last year.  My only time ever being at an AAU tourney and it was interesting to say the least.  The kids playing for him were from SWVA and NE TN...and some were VERY good players on their respective high school teams.

AAU basketball does not involve much coaching. They let the kids play in hopes of getting a scholarship.

As I said, I've only been to one AAU tournament but Timmons was coaching in this game.  The team from GA that came out on the floor was  FULL of athletes. 

The GA team went up double digits on the SWVA/NETN team in the first half and time out was taken by Timmons to talk strategy, I assume...and whatever else that goes on in a huddle. Again, I wasn't in the huddle, but I could see the coach talking to the players.   The SWVA/NETN team came back out after the timeout and defense was more intense...ball handling was sharper...and better shot selections were being taken. They whittled into the GA team's lead and were back in the game.  If, it wasn't due to coaching ...well, who am I to say...I wasn't in the huddle...maybe they were talking about where they were going to get something to eat after the games that night.

• 1 month later...

i can see them practicing Varsity Girls and Boys together at certain points. Most of the kids have been around Timmons and know his program. Putting in plays and doing drills can be done together on separate ends I would think. 

The problem exists when one program begins to tally a few loses while the other gains traction and hangs a few W's. What if one programs turns 0-10 while the other is 10-0? Sure the initial response is "keep practicing them the same" but naturally you will gravitate tot he undefeated team. More goes on behind scenes than what people realize like scouting other teams and watching film. 

I just don't see this being successful. He will not be able to keep both parent groups happy unless they both win the same amount of games. Maybe this is a bandaid in hopes of luring someone in next year to take one of the programs over.