Ridgeveiw @ Lee

fb-fan24263

I think Ridgeview would have the class to change the outcome to a tie instead taking the win.

Very seriously doubt that, same as almost all the others including Lee if the shoe was on the other foot, and no team should do that. I'll guarantee Lee would not have given a win up if it was the other way around. Human error a part of the game and Lee had other chances to close the game out. Simply lost the game, however it happened.

Are you talking about Union's running out of the smoldering "bear" or the part were the buses fly in at 50 mph, 10 minutes before kickoff as the players walk across the field to Thunderstruck?

I like Lee's entrance too. The horse and cannon are pretty cool!

The coming in on the bus and walking across the field.  Very intimidating.  Lol

It's official.  We are terrible.  No offense.  Coaching is horrible.  Same play every down.  The entire game turned on that absolutely stupid call of going for it on 4th down in our own territory close to midfield.  To that point, we had the momentum and were looking decent.  After that debacle of a call, we did literally nothing after that.  I gave Mullins the benefit of the doubt, because he has a ring and Colley doesn't, but not now.  He needs to be replaced, like yesterday.

We won't win another game this year.  Battle is looking better, Marion is looking better.  Congrats Gate City on your first win of the season next week.  This is not the weak Cumberland District anymore, this is not 1A ball anymore.  The jet sweep doesn't work.  The screen pass and quick out doesn't work.  Find another freaking play.  I actually became slightly amused when Lee High went to the jet sweep in the second half and ate us alive with it.  Union fans were right, we are that bad.  That's it.  Rant over.

Plus side, Lee High fans are awesome.  Talked to a good many of you tonight.  Very polite and well mannered folk.  Thanks for the hospitality.  :)

So, the funniest thing I heard all night was from a J. I. Burton fan sitting beside me at the game.  He says Norton will make it to the 1A semifinals.  I couldn't help it.  I rolled in laughter.

Does this dude not realize that Galax, George Wythe, Hurley, Patrick Henry and Chilhowie (who already beat Burton by the way) are all in 1A West also?  Also, Twin Springs took Burton to overtime tonight.  I don't think Burton will get past the second round if they even get past one round.

Had one son graguate from Ridgeview last year and still have one playing so I try not to say too much....But my god we're hard to watch. It just seems like the Clintwood coaches who call the plays have no idea how to get the ball to an athlete out in space. This year is better than last year though, so I guess that's a positive. It just sucks watching RV play. The home games have no atmosphere, nobody cares. The only thing good about the away games is trying to find a decent place to eat while you're out. Shouldn't say this I guess but I did so there. (deep breath)

Had one son graguate from Ridgeview last year and still have one playing so I try not to say too much....But my god we're hard to watch. It just seems like the Clintwood coaches who call the plays have no idea how to get the ball to an athlete out in space. This year is better than last year though, so I guess that's a positive. It just sucks watching RV play. The home games have no atmosphere, nobody cares. The only thing good about the away games is trying to find a decent place to eat while you're out. Shouldn't say this I guess but I did so there. (deep breath)

I'm with you all the way man.  Read my rant from above.  Mullins still thinks this is the Cumberland District 1A ball.  Where you can go three-four yards and a cloud of dust on every play and be successful.  It's not.  You got to be more diverse with the play calling.  I'm sure some people will come in here from Clintwood and say, oh, he's just an old bitty Haysi boy who has a grudge against Clintwood.  It's not that.  Clintwood fans are criticizing Mullins in the stands now as well.  It's not just Haysi folk.  That going for it on 4th down last night from our own 48, on 4th and 4 late in the half with a 7-3 lead AND receiving the second half kickoff was probably the stupidest thing I have ever seen.  Not just the decision to do it, but the play they drew up for it.  A quick out where the receiver was nowhere near the first down marker?  Are you kidding me?  Instead Lee High takes over at the Ridgeview 48 and scores like two plays later to take a 10-7 halftime lead.  A close, winnable, game like this where both offenses aren't moving the ball particularly well, you got to play the field position game.  Punt it away, trap Lee inside their own 20.  They probably wouldn't have had enough time to score as late in the half as it was.

Just for the record it was the Clintwood fans that were just ripping Coach Mullins in the stands last year. This year everybody seems fed up. The offensive formation has opened up but the play calling still leaves you scratching your head. No Haysi homerism here, I am just sick of losing.

With the personnel RV has I am not sure what else that they can do they have some good athletes but they are either young or weigh 130 pounds soaking wet add to that the only real line size they have are 9th and 10th graders (who are getting playing time and will probably start to see more as the year goes on)

IMHO best thing for the program is to get the younger kids more Playing time and get there butts in the weight room in the off season

Given the talent I would keep the focus of the offense on plays that work and can be successful, not system plays. Even if that's predictable and not a fundamentally sound offense. Last year they looked good mixing some I-Form with some spread stuff to get the ball in space, I would recommend they do the same thing this year with the Double Slot offense theyre running.

If the goal is to get an athlete in space and that can be achieved by running a WR screen from a trips set then do it, regardless of if it fits into the "system" being ran or not. But that's not Mullins' way, He likes a couple of base plays and several compliments to those plays. I understand that and love it myself but mix in some creativity. That's what's most lacking on this staff imo, creativity.

I have no problem with the offense they have chosen to use, it fits the personnel well, my issue comes with how plays are called. Jet is a great play but for it to work without exceptional talent it either has to be ran from a more traditional Wing-T look(With a TE) so that blocking schemes can be mixed up or has to have very good compliments(PA Pass, Trap, Counter) paired with it. Ridgeview doesn't have those things. An offense cant survive on Jet alone unless they have superior talent.

This is a process and each game, each year they have to get better. Hopefully the coaches are learning the ins and outs of not being in I-Form every play.

I believe that is the same brick wall lee was experiencing last year

Having only a part of an offense with the compliments plays failing.

I could see from the I, doing a lead option, block like power, get your pullers out in front and only option one player.