Union @ Gate City

trumpet1988

Gate City's QB is no question one of the best players on the field and in SWVA in general. Very skilled and fun to watch! Unfortunately for GC Union overall is just more well-rounded this season. GC plays a killer schedule and they're a better team than what they're record shows.

Union rolls this one. I don't see how Collier could be healed up with them continuously running him out there. GC lacks depth. They will get it turned around eventually. Too much tradition there to be down for to long. I said it before the season started, their first 6 games were going to be murders row and could very well start 0-6.

Gate City can beat Union this week if they keep the game close early and dictate the pace of the contest. I say the outcome depends on turnovers and penalties - the team that has the most will lose. I think that this year's Bears, more than last year's team, appear to be improving and making adjustments but still have some growing; their best performances are still ahead. I'm sticking with my 8-2 record prediction for Union and my 5-5 record prediction for Gate City with this game a big consideration in that pre-season prognostication. I am on record as saying that Union would lose the two away games against Richlands and Gate City. Of course that was before Collier was injured but I'll still say Gate City 20 and Union 17.     

From what I am hearing from my Tech guys up here I say Union rolls.

I think and this is going on pure word of mouth observations that if Union keys on the qb Collier and some guy named Hamilton they could name the score especially if they make Hamilton run sideline to sideline instead of allowing him to run downhill all night long.

Keys are Collier and Hamilton (I think is his name) and make everyone else beat you. Not to mention the factor of the traveling Union fan base if what my friends from GC says is correct. Heard that Friday night you could sit wherever you wanted on the visitor side. Guy from Big Stone told him they would fill up the entire side if that was true.

Mitchell plays in true beast mode. Three scores for him at least.

I believe this is also a tie breaking game. Friend told me that since Union became a school Union and GC are split 3-3. Sounds like a great Southwest Virginia rivalry to me.

Halftime score:

Union 42

Gate City 0

Final score:

Union 56

Gate City 6

Union is still beat up, I dont know if Zirkle will play this week or not,he should get healthy because there is still alot of football to be played.The Collier kid is an outstanding qb no doubt and he will give us fits , but i dont know who is going to help him,Gate City seems to be comming around , so i say28-7 union, oh yeah better watch 17 Owens he is super fast, and look for mitchell to have a great game, even with double coverage.

Union is still beat up, I dont know if Zirkle will play this week or not,he should get healthy because there is still alot of football to be played.The Collier kid is an outstanding qb no doubt and he will give us fits , but i dont know who is going to help him,Gate City seems to be comming around , so i say28-7 union, oh yeah better watch 17 Owens he is super fast, and look for mitchell to have a great game, even with double coverage.

Zirkle isn't a factor. I'd rather have Owens in the backfield rather than Zirkle anyways

Not to mention the factor of the traveling Union fan base

We need the stands from UVA Wise at Bullitt Park. Everywhere we go we always fill the visitor bleachers. Hell we drove 8 hours to clarke county and had a better turnout than they did

We need the stands from UVA Wise at Bullitt Park. Everywhere we go we always fill the visitor bleachers. Hell we drove 8 hours to clarke county and had a better turnout than they did

Richlands and Union are the two fanbases that immediately come to mind as the best travelers on our end of the state. 

Lets not say Zirkle isn't a factor,he has proven he can run the ball inside, and he has some wiggle in his hips.Owens is fast ,but that's a north-south fast,last week at Ridgeveiw not much yardage, but not many carries. What I would love to see is him on a jet sweep or at wide out and let him work the db's to death takind pressure of of Jenkins and Mitchell.Nobody will catch Owens if he gets a step, reminds me of JULIUS JONES with his speed .

Zirkle has some speed but I wouldn't go so far as to compare him to Julius. 

Lets not say Zirkle isn't a factor,he has proven he can run the ball inside, and he has some wiggle in his hips.Owens is fast ,but that's a north-south fast,last week at Ridgeveiw not much yardage, but not many carries. What I would love to see is him on a jet sweep or at wide out and let him work the db's to death takind pressure of of Jenkins and Mitchell.Nobody will catch Owens if he gets a step, reminds me of JULIUS JONES with his speed .

Lol... other than Gate City, I think we win out from here.  The meat and potatoes part of our schedule is done.

Are you sure that they can beat Lee and Grundy and Battle. Listen I loved to go watch clintwood, I followed them to state a few years back and I hope they get better but they looked like a JV team Friday night. Most union fans were shocked how bad they looked.

Are you sure that they can beat Lee and Grundy and Battle. Listen I loved to go watch clintwood, I followed them to state a few years back and I hope they get better but they looked like a JV team Friday night. Most union fans were shocked how bad they looked.

If you thought we looked bad against you this year when we nearly held you scoreless for a quarter, how bad did we look against you last year when we spotted you 28 in the first quarter last year?

I honestly think last week was the best we've played all season.  Battle, Grundy I am not so worried about.  Lee, GC and Marion maybe.

If RV doesn't make the playoffs and say they lose most of their games left does than mean James Colley will maybe replace Rick Mullins? I'm not a fan of placing all the blame on coaches but I could the Haysi folks and maybe some Clintwood folks wanting to go in that direction.

If you thought we looked bad against you this year when we nearly held you scoreless for a quarter, how bad did we look against you last year when we spotted you 28 in the first quarter last year?

I honestly think last week was the best we've played all season.  Battle, Grundy I am not so worried about.  Lee, GC and Marion maybe.

I was out of town last years game so I don't know. I'm not trying to talk bad about them because I would like to see the program do good but they just looked really bad Friday. If not for all of the penalties the score would have been awful.