1A and 2A West UNOFFICIAL power points through week 4

swva_havok_fan

So, the last few years, I wanted to study and understand just how the power points were calculated.  And thanks to VHSL Helper's site, I think I have got the math down for the most part.  I didn't want to wait till after week 5 to see some official rankings from the VHSL, so I started calculating them up using VHSL Helper's site.  With that in mind, here is how I have the 1A and 2A West calculated through week 4:

1A West:

1.  Galax 20.5

2.  Patrick Henry 18.66667

3.  Hurley 18

4.  George Wythe 17

5.  Chilhowie 16.5

6.  (tie) Narrows 15.75 

6.  (tie) Parry McCluer 15.75

8.  Fort Chiswell 15

9.  Rural Retreat 14

10. Covington 13.5

11. Bland County 13.33333

12. Castlewood 13.25

13. Twin Springs 12

14. (tie) Bath County 11.25

14. (tie) Honaker 11.25

16. J. I. Burton 10.75

17. Twin Valley 10.25

18. Auburn 10

19. (tie) Northwood 9.5

19. (tie) Thomas Walker 9.5

21. Radford 9.25

22. Eastern Montgomery 8.5

23. Eastside 7.75

24. Holston 7

25. Rye Cove 5.66667

26. Craig County 5.25

2A West:

1.  Dan River 23.5

2.  Appomattox 23.33333

3.  Giles 21.66667

4.  Richlands 21.5

5.  Grundy 20

6.  Martinsville 19

7.  Floyd County 18.75

8.  Lee High 18.33333

9.  Union 18.25

10. Virginia High 18

11. Graham 16.66667

12. Marion 15.25

13. (tie) Glenvar 14.5

13. (tie) Wise Central 14.5

15. John Battle 14.25

16. Lebanon 13

17. Gretna 12.5

18. Chatham 12.33333

19. James River 12.25

20. Grayson County 12

21. (tie) Tazewell 11

21. (tie) Ridgeview 11

23. Buckingham County 10.5

24. Gate City 9.5

Lol, how does Lee High sit in 8th place, I dont think their no where near the caliber of Union and VA High. Is it because of District games? (we have only played 1)

All about power points. They are undefeated I think. That will boost them up. Grundy is the same way. Those teams will fall and Graham and Union will rise quickly as they continue to win. 

Graham should move into the top 8 if they beat Giles and the top 4 if they win out. If Giles beats Graham then they more than likely will stay at 3. If they beat Graham, Galax(very doubtful), and Glenvar then they should hold the #2 spot until the end before they would end up getting jumped by Richlands more than likely.

All about power points. They are undefeated I think. That will boost them up. Grundy is the same way. Those teams will fall and Graham and Union will rise quickly as they continue to win.

I do believe they are 3 & 0 but have played weak teams, odd how that those points work. Thanks for clarification

Lee is 3-0.  Undoubtedly Appomattox will be the #1 seed if they finish 10-0, especially with wins over what would appear to be a very good Dan River team and 4A Amherst County to finish the season.  (Amherst appears to be solid as well)

Richlands could be 1 or 2 depending on the Abingdon result and what Appomattox does.

The other two in the top 4, I would project at this point to come down to Union, Graham, Giles, Dan River and possibly Martinsville.  I don't know much about Martinsville's district, but their schedule consists of 8 opponents 3A and above.  That will always pad your power points tally significantly regardless of win or loss.  That's how Martinsville made the playoffs a couple of years ago as a 1-9 team.

I do believe they are 4 & 0 but have played weak teams, odd how that those points work. Thanks for clarification

Early in the season, there aren't many "rider points" floating around. You have just the base points from a win/loss and then what few riders are out there from teams. As the season goes on, those riders make a big difference if you've beaten or lost to a team who's 9-1/10-0 and such. It's fun to look at early on, but it doesn't really have any clarity until week 8 or 9.

Lee is 3-0. Undoubtedly Appomattox will be the #1 seed if they finish 10-0, especially with wins over what would appear to be a very good Dan River team and 4A Amherst County to finish the season. (Amherst appears to be solid as well)

Richlands could be 1 or 2 depending on the Abingdon result and what Appomattox does.

The other two in the top 4, I would project at this point to come down to Union, Graham, Giles, Dan River and possibly Martinsville. I don't know much about Martinsville's district, but their schedule consists of 8 opponents 3A and above. That will always pad your power points tally significantly regardless of win or loss. That's how Martinsville made the playoffs a couple of years ago as a 1-9 team.

Appomattox will be the 1 seed regardless if they are 10-0 or 9-1. They get just as many points from losing to a 4A Amherst as they would beating a 2A. The only way Appo isn't 1 is if they lose to both DR and Amherst. In that case, that's probably enough to put DR as the 1 seed if they win out. Richlands, realistically, is playing for the 2 seed. My predicted finish top 4 is Appo, Richlands, Dan River, Giles. Union and Graham will be 5 or 6.

Appomattox will be the 1 seed regardless if they are 10-0 or 9-1. They get just as many points from losing to a 4A Amherst as they would beating a 2A. The only way Appo isn't 1 is if they lose to both DR and Amherst. In that case, that's probably enough to put DR as the 1 seed if they win out. Richlands, realistically, is playing for the 2 seed. My predicted finish top 4 is Appo, Richlands, Dan River, Giles. Union and Graham will be 5 or 6.

Had Eastside just won 2 more of their Cumberland games last year, Union could have tied Appo in points. If both Richlands and Appo finish 10-0, it's not inconceivable for Richlands to be the #1 seed. The way it's looking now, they're not going to get the points from Gretna or Buckingham that they did last year.

Losing to a 10-0 Amherst will yield 20 points. The same as beating a 2A team that's 1-9. You never know how it may shake out!

Had Eastside just won 2 more of their Cumberland games last year, Union could have tied Appo in points. If both Richlands and Appo finish 10-0, it's not inconceivable for Richlands to be the #1 seed. The way it's looking now, they're not going to get the points from Gretna or Buckingham that they did last year.

Losing to a 10-0 Amherst will yield 20 points. The same as beating a 2A team that's 1-9. You never know how it may shake out!

Honestly Eastside shouldn't even be playing Union. Its not a good points game for either.

Honestly Eastside shouldn't even be playing Union. Its not a good points game for either.

I agree 100%, but nobody will play them. Union has struggled to fill a schedule. There was one cycle that Va High, Lebanon, and Sullivan North all dropped them. They tried Haysi, Honaker, Tazewell, Graham, Abingdon, some of the Sullivan schools, and went as far as Greenville in Tn. North picked them back up because they couldn't find a 10th, and they ended up with Middlesboro, Ky. Marion dropped them after the 13-14 cycle. It's not like they've won every game 60-0.

Just looked at unions opponents record and they are 17-23 overall. Gate City and Burton though will start picking up some wins with their schedule easing up some, hopefully.

As much as I hate to say it, I don't see GC picking up that many wins. I think 2-8 is about where they will stand, which hurts both Richlands and Union.

As much as I hate to say it, I don't see GC picking up that many wins. I think 2-8 is about where they will stand, which hurts both Richlands and Union.

They could finish out 4-1 but 3-2 probably but union plays most of them anyway except for Va High so I don't guess it'll matter as much as I thought.

They could finish out 4-1 but 3-2 probably but union plays most of them anyway except for Va High so I don't guess it'll matter as much as I thought.

The Bears don't have much of a chance to gain rider points the rest of the season even with a 9-1 record. Too many of Union's out of district teams play in district teams. Besides Burton and Eastside's Cumberland teams, there's only a handful of games left to get points from. Lee and GC vs Va High and Ridgeview has Honaker and Grundy left. I'm not counting on a Marion victory for them. And I don't see Letcher or Crockett winning many more games either.

Depending on how things shake out, it is possible that a 9-1 Union team doesn't even get the 4th seed.

The Bears don't have much of a chance to gain rider points the rest of the season even with a 9-1 record. Too many of Union's out of district teams play in district teams. Besides Burton and Eastside's Cumberland teams, there's only a handful of games left to get points from. Lee and GC vs Va High and Ridgeview has Honaker and Grundy left. I'm not counting on a Marion victory for them. And I don't see Letcher or Crockett winning many more games either.

Depending on how things shake out, it is possible that a 9-1 Union team doesn't even get the 4th seed.

That happened to Abingdon in 3A last year.  9-1 record.  guess what your the 7 seed.