Bluefield @ Richlands

Ryan4VT

Fired up over what?  Was he a bad teammate to them or something?

No. Not that at all. It's kind of like when you play a pick up basketball game and your buddy is on the other team. You just want to beat them. I think that is what applies here. 

Stats for Blues in today's BHC

Rushing

No one listed

Scoring

Howie,  11TD's--66 pts

Forrest, 2FG's, 26 XP's--32 pts

Ball, Richlands--5 TD's--30 pts

Touchdown Passes

Asbury--22 TD's (Per writeup over 1300 yds)

T. Brown--1 TD

Touchdown Receptions

Howie, 11 TD's

Ball, 5 TD's

Lowe, 2 TD's

D. Brown, 2 TD's

Booker, 2 TD's

Horn, 1 TD

BHC Game Prediction

Richlands  42

Bluefield  28

4 of those aren't his fault. Ball hit his receiver dead in the hands and it was tipped up and intercepted.

I would tend to agree with that, but JLA could sometimes kill someone with the way he throws, doesn't hurt, but some ease could have helped with one or two.

So, does anyone know what exactly happened at the end of the 3rd when we were penalized ~20yds with no explanation? The ref's signal was nothing like any penalty I've ever seen

Yes they did. How bad were they? Let me count the ways. 

1. The first pass interference call on Bluefield.

2. The spots were terrible both ways.

3. the fumble Howie recovered should have been a TD for Richlands. I really don't believe he picked up the ball with a knee on the ground. Any video that shows?

4. Explain your call to the coaches and get the heck back to the game.

5. Richlands player should have also been ejected when the Bluefield player was.

6, Holding call on Richlands on the running play. Phantom call.

7. Should have let Bluefield change the decision to kick or receive due to confusion in the way the options were discussed.

and again.  NO game management skills at all.  I really do encourage all that are interested to get into officiating. I really would if I was physically able.

Talked to a coach today. He said the reason there was no ejection for Richlands was because Reed was assessed 2 unsportsmanlike conduct penalties after that touchdown. The Richlands player got 1 unsportsmanlike. I think a total of 4 were called after that touchdown and XP.

My opinion on the coin toss,  and I don't mean any disrespect to the Bluefield coaches,  this is just my opinion,  was that maybe Simon should have had somebody else making the call for Bluefield.  I am sure that Cody ( who is a fantastic kid ) had to be very hyped up and nervous to be back at Ernie playing in front of a lot of friends and family,  and he had to be seriously amped up.  I just wish that maybe Simon would have thought about that and let one of the other kids make the call.  I liked that he was a captain though,  but I am sure his mind had to be going a million miles a sec. at least until the kickoff.

I agree that those refs were among the worse i have seen in a while as far as game management goes and in just about every other way.  I hate to complain about refs and it's something you will rarely see me do,  but last night was just awful.  I know the guys that refed that game are trying to do their best,  but my goodness that was bad..........for both sides !

What Mance said about that the penalty on Lowe for barking out the offensive signals was that he was not barking out the signals,  but he did not hear the defensive signal that made on the field and he was yelling "  whats the call,  whats the call "  and the refs and Bluefield thought he was barking out the O signals.

Take that for what it's worth,  that's just what Mance said on the radio after the game.  So it would be hard for the refs not to call that if they heard him yelling just before the snap.

Hate to see the game get to a point were a player had to be ejected,  but the refs need to keep control of the game better than they did last night.

Really proud of the blues D last night,  to hold an offense like Bluefield has ( so talented and so much speed ) to really 14 points  ( 1 TD of the 3 coming on a fantastic kickoff return ).  They bent at times last night but made some big stops at critical times.  They made some nice adjustments.......as they usually do.

To me,  the real big turning point in the game came in that sequence in the 3rd when Bluefield moved the ball down inside the red zone and then the penalty on lowe moved it down inside the 10 and that's when the "fumble" happened.  If Bluefield scores there,  it is a 1 score game and who knows what happens then.  But the blues have been really tested this year and should help them to keep improving. 

I want to wish Bluefield good luck the rest of the season.........hope you guys win out

Richlands defense hasn't given up a point in the 3rd or 4th quarter this year. Union scored on a pick 6 in the 4th and in OT. Bluefield had the kickoff return last night. But the defense itself hasn't given up a point in the 2nd half of 6 games. Quite the feat.

I was listening on the radio during the coin toss and when the Bluefield player was asked what they want to do, he said we want to kick the ball and the ref asked again did you want to defer and the kid said..."I don't know man, I've never done this before" which I would blame on the coaches as much as the kid. In saying thathat the refs gave him ample opportunity to change his mind. So only person to fault is that on the coaches and player.

there was one call i didnt understand. When bluefield ran a play on 1st and 10, got about 4 yds and called 5yd facemask on richlands which set up a 1st and 1. Shouldnt it have been 2nd and 1?

That confused the H E double L out of me also.  I had never heard of that.  I didn't know you got the down, penalty yardage,  and the play yardage.  Is that a high school rule or is that at every level ?

I was listening on the radio during the coin toss and when the Bluefield player was asked what they want to do, he said we want to kick the ball and the ref asked again did you want to defer and the kid said..."I don't know man, I've never done this before" which I would blame on the coaches as much as the kid. In saying thathat the refs gave him ample opportunity to change his mind. So only person to fault is that on the coaches and player.

Agree,  the ref even told the player that if he wasn't careful,  he would be kicking off to start both halves,  but they insisted.  Like I said,  I think he was amped way up because of the situation and the coach should have thought about that and maybe let someone else make the call.  Of course as a coach,  you just wouldn't think that something like that would happen.

I just hated that happened to the player.

I'm still confused how the ref could accept a call like that where Bluefield would be kicking off to start both halves.  He stated "we want to kick", then why doesn't the ref accept that as Bluefield wants to kick off to start the game?