Graham vs. Abingdon

futbolking

I haven't seen Abingdon play this year.  Should be a great game from a matchup standpoint.  Graham is coming off of a tough game against a physical Giles team.  I don't think they will pay too many teams that are better at the line of scrimmage than Richlands or Giles, except for maybe Galax.  Graham showed a lot of heart in coming back from a lot of adversity at Giles, it was good to see that.  I was wondering how they would respond after Richlands came back on them last in their last game.  It was good to see them not giving up.  Sort of reminded me of how Richlands responded to adversity against Graham.  I think they grew up a lot in that game.... anyway, that game is over and onto the next.

What are everybody's thoughts?

84.5 ?

nailed it... wasn't it like 50 something to 40 something last season?

I think Graham's defense has improved enough to hold them under 50....and their offense has improved quite a bit.....  Could be another high scoring affiar...I've been watching video of Abingdon vs. Blacksburg and video of last year's Graham and Abingdon game... There were so many missed tackles and arm tackles for Graham last year and a few key turnovers... Hoping for a better outcome this season.  Definitely a tall task for Graham.  And looking ahead to the next week vs. Galax... that may be the biggest challenge yet. Makes me glad, however that we won't have to face either Abingdon or Galax again in the playoffs.  Let's hope the G-Men can win these games, I think they have a shot at them both.

Anybody know when Dalton will be back?  Graham has missed him on the interior of that Defensive line.  He was doing a good job in there early on this season.  He has a little size to him too, which they have needed the past couple of games.

Graham's pass defense looked pretty stout against Giles, but Giles is mediocre at throwing the ball so I guess you can't really go by that. The G-men run defense needs work. I don't think they ever stopped Giles from crossing the 50(I'm sure they'll say refs were the reason for that). Abingdon done a pretty good job at holding Beck and Terry in the run game and Terry is much faster than Cousin just not as strong. Graham has a lot of weapons though. I would say Abingdon wins 35-21 after being tied at the half.

Pulling for the G-Men in this one, but Sturgill and his offense will be hard for them to handle.  Abingdon's D isn't as strong and Graham needs to capitalize on making the most of their scoring opportunities.  Just as Giles controlled the game clock offensively Friday night,  the G-Men need to do this offensively to keep Sturgill and company on the sidelines.  If the G-Men can't do this, I am afraid it will be a long night for them. 

If the G-Men come out of this with a W, how much will it help them in power points and will it benefit the Blues?

If the G-Men come out of this with a W, how much will it help them in power points and will it benefit the Blues?

Won't really know until Richlands plays Abingdon. If Richlands beats AHS, it's a moot point since we would have gotten points no matter who wins this game. If AHS wins, Graham beating them would help us. 

With Union off this week thought I may go to this game. Never been to a game in Abingdon so I was wanting to know how early you need to get there for a good parking spot and I usually stand so were is a good spot for that.

I think that it will be a high scoring affair much like last year.  I think that Abingdon has improved on the defensive side of the ball but.... I have seen the G-Men on film some and I think that they are much better as well.  It looks like the G-Men have a physical offensive line.  I would have loved to watch this bunch under Coach Carlock.  I say this without trying to offend the current staff at all.  They are doing a fine job.  I just remember how hard he was and how they played under him.  I'm not sure how many on the current staff played for Coach Carlock other than Coach Palmer.

It is becoming increasingly harder for high schools to play great defense from a schematic point of view. (IMO)  Thirty years ago, you could take a group of tough, hard nosed kids and shut down a team because of fundamental play and toughness at the LOS.   Now, you have all of the different offenses week in and week out.  Those really good coaches (like all good ones)  try to match their strengths against a teams weaknesses.  The spread offense is a great equalizer to that physical style of play that used to exist.  Abingdon has done a really good job in doing that. Defenses that are big/physical can play the run well but have match up problems against a fast break offense, so finding that balance is difficult, especially in smaller schools.  The caveat to that is when team sees a Lord Botetourt for the first time,  it takes time to adapt to that style.  It is hard to blitz those teams every play and not have a break down from time to time.  You have to try and get as many athletes on the field as possible to make plays in the open field.  The rule changes have taken some of the physicality out of the game too.

Hope to see another great game.

This is the game I would want to go to if the blues were not playing.

It should be a good one and should be another good atmosphere at Bluefield !  These are 2 of the best 4 teams in our area ( Richlands & Galax being the other 2....IMHO )  and should be a lot of fun to watch and hard to predict.

I think I am going to take Abingdon in this game.  I like the speed and athletes that Graham has and they are soooo dangerous,  but I think the passing game of Abingdon will be the difference.  Graham had a little bit of a tough time with the blues passing game and Abingdon has a great passing game also with a fantastic QB, and that will be the difference

But if Graham can make some big plays and get the ball in space and be able to utilize their speed & keep the chains moving then it wouldn't surprise me if they pulled an upset.

Of course it comes down to who makes the most stops and I just don't see Graham making as many against the birds high powered offense as Abingdon might be able to make against the GMen.  It did look at times in the Blacksburg game ( watched the game on Youtube )  though that the birds did have some trouble with Bburg's speed and Graham has a lot of that.  Should be really fun to watch.

41 to 28  Abingdon

I have never been good at picking scores so this was just a very uneducated what the hell guess