Still Undefeated

face-n-dacrowd

I agree that Hurley doesn't have the toughest schedule.  I'm being real and Hurley is not on the same level ad GW and Galax right now but I think them and Patrick henry would be a game. Shelby Valley KY which is 2A I think is a better team than most of Hurley's schedule.  Hurley is second smallest school in the state with a football team.  I don't think we can play, Richlands, Abindon, Gate City, Union and those teams. Nobody is proclaiming we have tough schedule but everybody we play is bigger than us. Don't get offensive when we have fans that get on here and "talk" a lot. Its just excitement. Don't blame "Hurley" for scheduling teams they are suppose to play. Once again everbody on their schedule has a bigger enrollment than they do. Hurley has 185 kids 9-12. Hurley still has a long way to go. If they play Galax, GW, or Parry McClure right now I don't think they win. I think Grundy and Honaker will be a dog fight for them. I wish the rebels good luck the rest of the way.

I don't disagree with either of you about who they've beat or whos left to play nor the quality of opponent. Just wondering why you love hating on a school with probably less than 200 kids and you seem to like it. Grundy is down also in numbers I d like to see all the small schools do well. They put in the work just like the big boys.

I am not hating on Hurley... In fact I tip my hat at them. They are a solid team that has the make up of possibly being a team that plays into November/December. I am just mentioning the weak schedule. As a sports fan, it is tough to sit back and watch irrational fans talk about how awesome their team is when they play a schedule like Hurley's. Hurley is good... that is a fact but Hurley also plays a weak schedule. Tough to really gauge where they stand IMO when they are playing weak opponents. 

The discussion that pops up from Rebel fans is they will win state or at least inferred they will. It is just tough for me to see that when playing teams that struggle to probably field teams and beating them by 50. 

PH, Grundy and Hurley have had an easy schedule so far. Hurley would be undefeated with that schedule as well as PH would be undefeated with Hurleys schedule as well. With that being said congratulations to those teams for being undefeated at this point. They are dealing with the hand they are dealt. If they are not solid teams it will show in the playoffs.

I am not hating on Hurley... In fact I tip my hat at them. They are a solid team that has the make up of possibly being a team that plays into November/December. I am just mentioning the weak schedule. As a sports fan, it is tough to sit back and watch irrational fans talk about how awesome their team is when they play a schedule like Hurley's. Hurley is good... that is a fact but Hurley also plays a weak schedule. Tough to really gauge where they stand IMO when they are playing weak opponents. 

The discussion that pops up from Rebel fans is they will win state or at least inferred they will. It is just tough for me to see that when playing teams that struggle to probably field teams and beating them by 50. 

Point out  the post where an irrational fan said Hurley was awesome in this thread....You cant because it didn't happen...Check your facts there Hillary

Point out  the post where an irrational fan said Hurley was awesome in this thread....You cant because it didn't happen...Check your facts there Hillary

I was referring to the other thread that vanished. 

I can agree that Hurley might not be on the level of Galax and maybe GW (although I am not completely sold on that). I feel they are a better team than honaker and PH though. 

I do think it is great one of the smallest school in the state is having some success though. Legitimately, good for that town! Also, I realize the excitement sometimes fills over onto the board from "fanatics". 

I was referring to the other thread that vanished. 

I can agree that Hurley might not be on the level of Galax and maybe GW (although I am not completely sold on that). I feel they are a better team than honaker and PH though. 

I do think it is great one of the smallest school in the state is having some success though. Legitimately, good for that town! Also, I realize the excitement sometimes fills over onto the board from "fanatics". 

No harm no foul my friend I agree...all in fun

Channel 7 in Roanoke did a piece on PH last night just caught the tell end of it.

This thread started about Patrick Henry and all it has been is about Hurleys schedule. Patrick Henry has played, Castlewood, Rye Cove, Twin Springs and 2A power John Battle. Hurley at best would have been 2-2 with that. What do you think, Dick?

Hurley would still be 4-0 with that schedule, but it would test Hurley better (except for Rye Cove) than playing the small, gawdawful Kentucky and West Virginia teams they love to get fat on.

Hurley would still be 4-0 with that schedule, but it would test Hurley better (except for Rye Cove) than playing the small, gawdawful Kentucky and West Virginia teams they love to get fat on.

Uhm yeah, I am going to go with a 4-0 record... JB might have been a decent game in the first half. 

I've talked up PH several times this year. They have one of the top two or three RB in SWVA, imo. I'm a little worried that it took until the last 14 seconds to beat a team such as Battle, though. Not a slight against Battle, but they aren't world beaters. I think PH will advance a few rounds in the playoffs, but I just don't see them on the same level as Galax, Hurley, or GW. 

I agree with you....Went to this game since the Falcons were off.  This game shouldn't have been that close; however, momentum and a few busted defensive plays by PH played a factor in the second half.  I also think Battle has improved since week one. 

Hurley would still be undefeated as well if they had PH's schedule. 

Guys I thought this thread was about the Rebels.....PH!   Don't get upset because some fans from several small schools that are experiencing success get excited it is Friday nights lights and that is what makes HS football great. Over zealous fans that think their team is the greatest thing until they get beat then yell at the coach they have been praising. LOL This season has been crazy and I think outside of Galax any 1A team could get beat on a given night. As far as the schedule teams play why does single a teams always get blasted for playing teams their own size? Our double a teams with the exception of Richlands/GC and Union are always playing some single A teams. No one questions that. But anyway Good luck to PH as they have a tough one this week with Rural Retreat coming to town and to the other Rebels I hope you guys 10-0. Would love to see some of those old Region C schools travel to the CLIFF!

This thread started about Patrick Henry and all it has been is about Hurleys schedule. Patrick Henry has played, Castlewood, Rye Cove, Twin Springs and 2A power John Battle. Hurley at best would have been 2-2 with that. What do you think, Dick?

2A "Power" John Battle may be stretching it a little.  JSB has improved but referring to them as a POWER, yeah, they aren't Union, Richlands, Lee, or Graham for that matter.  PH is just getting into the heart of their schedule.  Let's see how it plays out with GW, Rural Retreat and those type opponents.  PH may do well and get a playoff spot and great for them and their community but what i seen at the benefit game in August didn't scream playoff contender.  They do have a quality running back in Humphries and he basically carries the load for them.

2A "Power" John Battle may be stretching it a little.  JSB has improved but referring to them as a POWER, yeah, they aren't Union, Richlands, Lee, or Graham for that matter.

I agree Falcon Mania. I'm not the best when it comes to sensing sarcasm on message boards, but I could have sworn I had this one figured out lol

Lets talk numbers,yes there are small schools that play larger schools, for that they get bonus points.Many larger schools play the smaller schools because of tradition(old lpd,schools or rivalries)I have never seen a smaller school which are successful (appalachia,pound, clintwood,haysi ,j.i.burton)ever say poor me ,we only have x-number of kids.they just get out there and play thier ass off.Do you think the kids care if you have 700 kid or 200, no they dont.Ibelieve everyone on this board pulls for the local teams ,if thier team is no longer in it.P.H is having a good season no doubt, so good luck, its time to play the game. IF IT COMES PLAYOFF TIME AND P.H. IS THERE WE WILL PULL FOR YOU AND THE OTHER TEAMS THERE FROM OUR REGION

Any time a SWVA VHSL football team is 5-0 it is an occasion to be proud; but mid-season record often has less to do with a team's quality than with the quality of their opponents.  Schedule means everything.

1997 is a good example.  Rye Cove was 10-0 & district champs - but had played a weak Cumberland District schedule.  They lost in the first round of the playoffs to Appalachia 74-12 and were beat after the first 10 minutes of the game.  I sincerely hope this year's Hurley Rebel team is good but I think they would also be 0-5 like Gate City if they had faced the same difficult schedule as the Blue Devils.

I suspect GC would beat them this year if they played - I don't think the game would be over in 10 minutes; but maybe by halftime.

What has Gate City's schedule have to do with Hurley, Gate City is 2A, Hurley is 1A. Some on here must have had a Brain Freeze that hasn't unthawed. The part about 2A power  John Battle was a joke, sorry about that John Battle.

Grundy will be lucky to make it past WC on the road...worry about Hurley later.

Are Grundy's next three Central, Hurley, then Richlands? If so, that's a tough three game stretch. We will learn a lot about the Wave in those three.

Wow why the hate towards PH and Hurley? I really don't think anyone form either side has said their team can beat  GC, Graham, Richlands or Union. I think it is great for SW VA to have teams winning. What about Chilhowie? They are having a great year after two tough seasons. I really think outside of Galax there are several teams that could beat each other. Truth is and it has been said on here that Galax had its hands full with Hurley last year, and they played the same "weak" schedule. LOL