Power points

goose111874

So AHS sits in 6th with no 3A games remaining on their schedule. No disrespect to the other teams on our schedule, but Richlands and Marion remain our toughest games left. Even if we win out, it's not going to help us much. All that can happen is we move down if we lose one or both of those. SSDS. (Same Sh*t, Different Season).

So AHS sits in 6th with no 3A games remaining on their schedule. No disrespect to the other teams on our schedule, but Richlands and Marion remain our toughest games left. Even if we win out, it's not going to help us much. All that can happen is we move down if we lose one or both of those. SSDS. (Same Sh*t, Different Season).

AHS wouldn't have been more than a 5 seed at best if they had went undefeated.  Just win and you may get to host 1 playoff game.  Lose again and you are for sure going to road warriors for the playoffs.  But I agree with what you said.  Same VHSL Bull%$@t, Different year,

From a 3A pespective Abingdon is effectively Lee County.  But it's not like the Falcons are entirely powerless here.  Abingdon could make more of an effort to schedule the most proximal larger schools (Pulaski County and Carroll County) which would help address their access to ratings points.  The travel involved wouldn't be much different than what they are choosing by moving to the Mountain District.  

And trust me, the sentiment cuts both ways.  Nobody in the remainder of 3A West is particularly enthused about traveling to Abingdon for a playoff in any sport.  Some effort to direct AHS into the 2A ranks would be beneficial for just about all parties involved.

Is Amherst 4A? Is it believed that they "should" beat Appomattox?

An Appomattox win over Amherst would be an upset of monumental proportion.  Which isn't to say that it couldn't happen, but the Lancers are loaded and have reasonable expectations of going very deep in the 4A playoffs.

From a 3A pespective Abingdon is effectively Lee County. But it's not like the Falcons are entirely powerless here. Abingdon could make more of an effort to schedule the most proximal larger schools (Pulaski County and Carroll County) which would help address their access to ratings points. The travel involved wouldn't be much different than what they are choosing by moving to the Mountain District.

And trust me, the sentiment cuts both ways. Nobody in the remainder of 3A West is particularly enthused about traveling to Abingdon for a playoff in any sport. Some effort to direct AHS into the 2A ranks would be beneficial for just about all parties involved.

what is the lee county school you speat of never heard of it

Are you a douche in real life too or is it just on the keyboard?

I have an excellent talent for annoying incompetent idiots, my apologies you were affected by this.

Edit: my sarcasm was at an all time high with the lee county comment.

I have an excellent talent for annoying incompetent idiots, my apologies you were affected by this.

Edit: my sarcasm was at an all time high with the lee county comment.

You should probably learn how to edit before you call people idiots...

From a 3A pespective Abingdon is effectively Lee County.  But it's not like the Falcons are entirely powerless here.  Abingdon could make more of an effort to schedule the most proximal larger schools (Pulaski County and Carroll County) which would help address their access to ratings points.  The travel involved wouldn't be much different than what they are choosing by moving to the Mountain District.  

And trust me, the sentiment cuts both ways.  Nobody in the remainder of 3A West is particularly enthused about traveling to Abingdon for a playoff in any sport.  Some effort to direct AHS into the 2A ranks would be beneficial for just about all parties involved.

This is going to sound like I'm being a jerk, but I'm not....serious question....how can Abingdon do anything about that? Is not all that decided at the state level? I'm all for AHS dropping to 2A. Don't attendance levels dictate that?

What you meant to say was: "What is this Lee County school of which you speak? I do not recognize it."

Criticizing someone over a small factual error when you write like a high school dropout would be quite rich if you didn't do it week upon week, month upon month.

Actually, I was referring to the geographic entity/political sub unit of the Commonwealth.  Not a particular school.

From a standpoint of location, Lee County is the westernmost locality of Virginia and therefore significantly isolated from the rest of the Commonwealth.  Within the geographic domain of Class 3A as administered currently by the VHSL, Abingdon occupies similar territory.

My apologies.  I did not realize that my attempted comparison was so obtuse.  Chalk it up to incompetence on my part.

:-) 

This is going to sound like I'm being a jerk, but I'm not....serious question....how can Abingdon do anything about that? Is not all that decided at the state level? I'm all for AHS dropping to 2A. Don't attendance levels dictate that?

A very reasonable question.  And to be fair, it is _technically_ within the power of the Washington County School Board to address the attendance levels, but it is neither practical nor popular to do so.  The lines for the attendance zones could be changed to redistribute students in such a manner that Abingdon's enrollment in "excess" of 2A levels could be sent to Battle, Holston, and/or Patrick Henry.  But Abingdon's status as a growing municipality within a region that seems to be losing population overall would compromise that approach.

The only real "solution" to the ratings points issue for AHS would seem to be loading up the buses and taking on schools in the New River Valley.  But it is quite the conundrum.

What you meant to say was: "What is this Lee County school of which you speak? I do not recognize it."

Criticizing someone over a small factual error when you write like a high school dropout would be quite rich if you didn't do it week upon week, month upon month.

Hyperbole at its best. Thank you for the comical laugh, I enjoyed. Week upon week, month upon month you target my statements with a superman complex, I find it comical that I agitate you to no end. Thank you for bringing this forum to justice and away from the weapons of mass destruction.

I would rather act a fool and be lazy with typing, instead of proofreading everything so I look important on a sports forum. They call that a type of syndrome but I have "little" time, "man." But I'm sure you'll research it.

Wow , I had to pull out the old dictionary to understand those big words.In the Marine Corp they told me that most 4-letter cover any situation, ie lack of knowledge of any subject....example well F*$#, OR TRYING TO MAKE A POINT "LISTEN F*^ck**, OR THE OLD GO F*** YOURSELF.There is no need to use big words,lets just sit here and glow in each others thoughts and know that we all love our teams .Like I told my girlfriend ,I would have rather seen Richlands beat Union in over time than to watch Union steamroll Richlands if the game sucked......WELL ,F#@$ I LIED,I WOULD RATHER SEE UNION WIN ,BUT I MADE MY POINT, AND YOU SHOULD NEVER LISTEN TO A OLD MARINE BECAUSE I KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN "DUCK" AND F@#$" IS SPELLING AND ANYTHING I SAY IS MEANT TO MAKE YOU SMILE

A very reasonable question.  And to be fair, it is _technically_ within the power of the Washington County School Board to address the attendance levels, but it is neither practical nor popular to do so.  The lines for the attendance zones could be changed to redistribute students in such a manner that Abingdon's enrollment in "excess" of 2A levels could be sent to Battle, Holston, and/or Patrick Henry.  But Abingdon's status as a growing municipality within a region that seems to be losing population overall would compromise that approach.

The only real "solution" to the ratings points issue for AHS would seem to be loading up the buses and taking on schools in the New River Valley.  But it is quite the conundrum.

Yeah, even though AHS football has grown in popularity and game attendance, I seriously doubt the school board would propose a boundary change in order to facilitate a move to 2A for the AHS football program. I don't know this years high school attendee numbers but a couple short years ago it was just a smidge above the 2A numbers. Like within 25-50 kids. Of course the number of kids attending changes annually. But it seems that they hover right at the top,of 2A and the bottom of 3AM every year. I would guess AHS is just stuck where they are for the foreseeable future.

Several TN schools that would give Abingdon 3A or greater points, probably about 14-15 schools with at least an hour and a half or less drive, if they could work them into the schedule.  There's a couple from KY and I would guess from WV and NC too that are at least a couple of hours away.  Would be the same for Lee, although for whatever reason they've been limiting themselves to just playing mostly VA teams now...don't understand why.

I think they can appeal to the state to drop classification due to travel concerns to play schools of similar size.  Lately, pretty much all schools who have tried to do this have been denied if their enrollment was over.  Abingdon's enrollment I think would be quite a bit over 2A (973),,,the cutoff is 750, so I don't think they would have a chance.

I think they can appeal to the state to drop classification due to travel concerns to play schools of similar size.  Lately, pretty much all schools who have tried to do this have been denied if their enrollment was over.  Abingdon's enrollment I think would be quite a bit over 2A, so I don't think they would have a chance.

A couple of years ago AHS enrollment was, I wanna say, low 900's....like 915. I don't know the current numbers at all. I also don't know the enrollment values to constitute each classification. Abingdon did do a home and away with Volunteer recently but didn't renew it. I'd like to see them play Sullivan East, Central or Sullivan North. No thanks to Dobyns Bennett. I'd like to see them against Tn High just to see how we compare. I went to the DB vs Maryville game last weekend, and DB hung with them for awhile, but dang, Quarles is an incredible coach. Heard someone say a the game that in 2000 they lost 4 games. Since then, they've lost a total of 8 games. That's insane. Sorry, of topic.