Richlands @ Abingdon

Ryan4VT

Never too early. This is obviously the game of the week in SWVA. Richlands was 5 TD better last year, and many say the Falcons' defense has taken a step backwards. Richlands has looked good, but will need Howie, Ball, and Lowe to play at full strength. With a win, Richlands will all but lock themselves into a top two seed.

This one has the makings of a shootout.

What do you guys think?

I've seen both Richlands and Abingdon play Graham this year. If Richlands can get some pressure on the Qb he struggles when he has to roll out. Abingdon has a great team and home field advantage but I believe Richlands will win. Something like a 44-23 score

I've seen both Richlands and Abingdon play Graham this year. If Richlands can get some pressure on the Qb he struggles when he has to roll out. Abingdon has a great team and home field advantage but I believe Richlands will win. Something like a 44-23 score

If you saw AHS play Graham you saw very little passing. I'm not ready to predict a score but I will say AHS run game performed well tonight, even though it was against VHS (no disrespect to them). My biggest concern is AHS pass defense. But, and that's a HUGE but, if AHS can dial it back a little and slow things down to keep RHS offense off the field then they should keep things close. I'd say that's what Reed has been doing in prep for Richlands and the playoffs...strengthen the run game so the team is truly a dual threat team. Everybody know that AHS can throw the ball, just like Richlands can...but who has the better, more sustained, run game? I have no idea about RHS run game...not being a smart aleck here...I just don't know anything about it. Will somebody comment on their run game? And don't be billy bad ass about it and try to make it sound like you recruited Beast Mode out of retirement because he has 2 years of eligibility left. Just tell me how they've done and what names to listen for next week.

I believe Richlands has been saving a very special I formation package for a game like this. They have only went into this formation once against Bluefield and they took it to the house the first time and a few times against grundy last night which also went for 60 yards on just 3 plays. I know Bluefield is having a bad year and Grundy is Grundy. 

I think this game will be very good. I don't see it being a blow out; 1. Because Richlands never plays good at Abingdon. 2. Because Abingdon has home field advantage. 3. Because Abingdon is out to prove themselves. 

Richlands 35

Abingdon 21

Well normally we rotate RB. You will see any of: 11 Howie, 3 Booker, 5 Collins, 34 White, or now apparently the backup QB 2 Brown. They have all ran the ball this year at one time or another.

Last night folks were taking about Jake Sturgill getting injured....possible

Wrist. Any update on that, or was it nothing???

Jake is a Huge part of the Falcon offense. They can't lose him and except to

Compete with the Blues.

Ahs defense can't slow down Richlands. The defense hasn't slowed any team with a good offense down this year. If the offense isn't putting 40+ points up on teams then they struggle. I don't see Ahs putting 40 points on Richlands.Both teams are similar but Richlands just has to many players in to many spots for Ahs to defend.

6:15 to 6:30 probably. Easiest place for visitors to park is below/behind the tennis courts. That gate brings you into the stadium closer to visitor stands. The bathrooms are right there too, so be sure and use it as you come in because the hill to the visitors stands sucks. I've complained about it for years. There is a small concession stand on visitors side though. It supposed to be pretty cool Friday night so bring a jacket because the wind can whip up at times and make it even cooler. Safe travels to you guys!

Ok folks, I am excited about this game between two offense minded powerhouses.  In my knower, I feel this game will not necessarily be a shootout between the QB's as most of us have thought for this season. Reed has been developing the run game as evidenced against the Bearcats Friday night.  The Falcons had 343 rushing yards on 49 attempts, but had success also with passing yards of 246.  The tendency seems to be when they get in the red zone Sturgill is the workhorse.  Friday night he scored 4 TD's on runs of 12, 2, 5 and 3 yards.  He carried the ball 22 times for 138 yds.  He threw 2 TD's to Bassham, one a 20 yard pass and the other a 39 yard pass on post patterns. 

That means 40% of their rushing yards were by Sturgill.  If he has a lingering injury to his right wrist (the announcers said it was the right one), it may affect his throwing depending on the severity of it.

Have to agree with the posters here, Abingdon's defense isn't as strong as their offensive output.  Friday night's game with the Bearcats there were a 1,000 yards of offense between the two teams.

Anyway, it is a game much anticipated by us Blues fans and likewise by the Falcons also.  The Falcons want to keep or move up in seeding, and erase the memory of the running clock in last year's game against the Blues. 

Going to go with my Blues for the W.  Probably won't be a running clock, but if our boys are healthy, hopefully they will be leaving Falcon Stadium 9-0.

Hope the Blues don't show up in all white uniforms.  Our two losses last year to Union and Appo they were wearing all white. 

GO BLUES

LET'S FINISH

The only way to beat Richlands is to limit JOHN LUKE time on the field, UNION did that the whole game but then got away from the fullhouse backfield,3 yards and a cloud of astro-turf. GRAHAM tried to outscore him and if they cant do it the FALCONS WILL NOT EITHER.I AM SORRY BUT NO-ONE WILL BEAT RICHLANDS this side of the playoffs.barring a injury to JLA.WHOMEVER WINS THE WEST WINS STATE, AND ANY OF THE TOP 5 CAN DO THAT.

Richlands is a great team but are very beatable. If Graham would've kept the foot on the gas they would be 7-0 right now and honestly I would say that a rematch favors Graham. Appo, Graham, Dan River, and Union are all capable, not saying they would. I would pull for Richlands against any of those teams though because next to Giles they're my 2nd favorite school

Also if bleachers are full were is a good place to watch from on either side. We'll just be there as fans so it doesn't matter which side, just been wanting to see Abingdon's QB in action.

I doubt you will have any trouble finding a seat on either side.  AHS stadium is huge and even though it should be the biggest crowd this year there will still be seats.  Unless Richlands brings 8,000 people with them.  I would say the stadium will seat 9,000-12,000.