Basketball!!!

futbolking

According to the schools website:

GATE CITY BLUE DEVILS

Head Coach:  Scott Vermillion

2016-17 Boys Basketball

DATE                                        OPPONENT                                          SITE

Dec. 6                                       Tennessee High                                     Home

Dec. 13                                     Daniel Boone                                         Away

Dec. 17                                     Knoxville Christian                                 Home

Dec. 20                                     Daniel Boone                                        Home

Dec. 27-31                                Arby's Classic                                       Viking Hall

Jan. 3                                       Lebanon                                               Home

Jan. 6                                       Ridgeview                                             Home

Jan. 7                                       Floyd County                                        Away

Jan. 10                                     Central Wise                                         Away

Jan. 13                                     John Battle                                           Away

Jan. 14                                     Tennessee High                                    Away

Jan. 17                                     Lee                                                      Home

Jan. 20                                     Union                                                   Home

Jan. 21                                     Abingdon                                              Away

Jan. 24                                     Ridgeview                                             Away

Jan. 27                                     Central Wise                                         Home

Jan. 31                                     John Battle                                           Home

Feb. 3                                       Lee                                                      Away

Feb. 4                                       Abingdon                                             Home

Feb. 7                                       Union                                                  Away

Top 3 teams in SWVA? Top all around teams and bench. Would like to hear everyones opinions.

Top 3 teams: 1. Gate City

2. Richlands

3. Union

Best bench: 1. Richlands

2. Union

3. Gate City

Union lost quite a bit from last year-surprised to see them listed as top 3 but they do have a dynamic duo in Slagle and Mitchell.  Graham will be strong again this year.  Timmons will have VA High on the rebound shortly, as I imagine he will bring several recruits.  Honaker also with a couple of 6'4 recruits and bringing back 3 or 4 starters from a team that went undefeated in the regular season.  

I would absolutely have Graham in my Top 3. Dont know of the order.....but I think Graham, GC, and Richlands will be the top 3 from SWVA with Union being right there contending as well.

I don't know much about these 4 teams rosters aside from the starting 5, but with what little I do know id have to give the nod to Graham for bench depth. Ill form an opinion on the young guys for GC after 3 or 4 games into the season. I think they will have 7 players that will give good minutes, but after that 7th man I'm not sure what the talent level will be like for the bench.

Yes imagine your correct I forgot about graham. I guess ill change it to. 1. Gate City 2. Richlands 3. Graham. 

Richlands did not lose any one from the team excluding the transfer in Cody Fuller. Which will hurt some but they have gained a few new tallents in Cody Howie, Booker and a few from the JV squad from lats year. 

However ive never seen Booker actually play before so im not sure on his skill level.

However ive never seen Booker actually play before so im not sure on his skill level.

I wouldn't imagine he would crack the top 6. Probably 3rd or so off the bench unless he's gotten a whole lot better.

How accurate is this "inside info"... I would not think Howie will play. He has a lot of interest from football. As for Booker, he would probably contribute if he was interested in just playing "defense" or that lazy 2-3 they play. Not sure how I would feel is my kid lost playing time to a senior who decided to come out and have a victory lap their senior year once football was over. Furthermore, I am not sure there is enough basketballs to go around for that team as it is. 

I know Graham lost a lot but I look for them to give Richlands a good game. I look for Graham-Richlands to be 1/2 out of Conference 39. The conference points have changed again and the first (or only for some teams) time teams meet will count toward conference points. (Example: If Tazewell only plays Marion one time then that game will count for points. When Tazewell plays Graham twice, only the first game will count for points. The second is merely for bragging rights). This will give the conference a true champion and the automatic 1 seed to region. 

With all that said, the first time Graham and Richlands meet will be BIG. Richlands has always had a problem with the GMen and I look for Carlock to have something up his sleeve for Richlands. Wouldn't that be something for a 21-1 Richlands team be the 2 seed (and inevitably have to play the one seed out of conference 40 which will most likely be GC) in the first round of Region. Richlands might still end up winless in Region play. 

Rumor is Richlands also watered down their schedule by dropping Union and Bluefield. 

They may not rise to the level of Gate City, Graham or Richlands this season but Grayson will be significantly improved.  The new/old coach, John Ayers, was my brothers high school coach.  He will eventually bring Grayson back to being a regional and sometimes state contender in basketball like they were in the 90's. 

How accurate is this "inside info"... I would not think Howie will play. He has a lot of interest from football. As for Booker, he would probably contribute if he was interested in just playing "defense" or that lazy 2-3 they play. Not sure how I would feel is my kid lost playing time to a senior who decided to come out and have a victory lap their senior year once football was over. Furthermore, I am not sure there is enough basketballs to go around for that team as it is. 

I know Graham lost a lot but I look for them to give Richlands a good game. I look for Graham-Richlands to be 1/2 out of Conference 39. The conference points have changed again and the first (or only for some teams) time teams meet will count toward conference points. (Example: If Tazewell only plays Marion one time then that game will count for points. When Tazewell plays Graham twice, only the first game will count for points. The second is merely for bragging rights). This will give the conference a true champion and the automatic 1 seed to region. 

With all that said, the first time Graham and Richlands meet will be BIG. Richlands has always had a problem with the GMen and I look for Carlock to have something up his sleeve for Richlands. Wouldn't that be something for a 21-1 Richlands team be the 2 seed (and inevitably have to play the one seed out of conference 40 which will most likely be GC) in the first round of Region. Richlands might still end up winless in Region play. 

Rumor is Richlands also watered down their schedule by dropping Union and Bluefield. 

1. This isnt Smuff leauge anymore, trust me Fred Phillips dont care about your kids feelings. He's there to win. 

2. Last I heard Codie Howie was playing, he played with them this summer until football started. 

3. they dropped union and bluefield because they are playing in 2 tournaments. They still have open slots to fill, I dont think we dropped them. It was mutual 

3. Playing int he summer and playing in season are two different things. Howie could definitely help, I agree there.

2. The scheme they ran last year was successful for the weaker teams they played. More of a GC style of subbing throwing 10 games at you constantly... Only difference is Richlands does not play defense. Secondly, the comment "Phillips does not care about your kids feelings. He is there to win" really speaks volumes. 

1. Wait a few days and see if they are on schedule. Rumor mill was swarming they they were dropped. I guess we will see here in a few weeks. I hope they kept them on though. Richlands has a chance to be a good team... No need to drop other good teams.

Doesn't play defense??? They forced 20+ turnovers more times than I can count last year. And they played both Union and GC very close on losses last year, and beat Graham in the SEC Title game by frustrating them with their full court press.

They play defense. It may not work against every team, but they play it.

Let me correct myself, a different style of defense you normally do not see up the ride in Richmond, etc. Not saying that is bad because Syracuse plays the packed in 2-3 and looks for lanes to shoot for steals. I'm curious the TO ratio when Richlands played Graham/Union arguably the best opponents they played last year. 

Grayson has a good run of b-ball talent right now......new coach's son  will be huge addition.  Not sure Ayers will stay around long enough to build anything lasting with his son being a Junior, would hope so though.

Graham made it a few games more than Richlands. They had the #1 team out of the east beat at their home gym 7 hours from Bluefield. I would like to think they would have won if it was at Bluefield... and graham was the 4th best team from the West. 

Grayson has a good run of b-ball talent right now......new coach's son  will be huge addition.  Not sure Ayers will stay around long enough to build anything lasting with his son being a Junior, would hope so though.

They are happy and content with life on the river.  I don't believe they will leave the area again.  If he does leave Grayson, it would most likely be for his Alma-mater, Carroll.

Wes is a player and Grayson has an amazing string of basketball talent coming up right now.  With John's coaching ability and the talent coming along, he is sitting on a treasure trove!

I'm more excited about Dean than any of them. I'm not so sure that our bench will be "weak" though. Our JV only lost one game last year and that was to DB in the opener. I made the comment more than once that they were the best JV team I've seen us have. They were fun to watch. Hopefully things will fall into place but this is high school kids so anything can happen. With Richlands, Graham, and Union having solid teams, this should be a very fun year in the area.

I'm more excited about Dean than any of them. I'm not so sure that our bench will be "weak" though. Our JV only lost one game last year and that was to DB in the opener. I made the comment more than once that they were the best JV team I've seen us have. They were fun to watch. Hopefully things will fall into place but this is high school kids so anything can happen. With Richlands, Graham, and Union having solid teams, this should be a very fun year in the area.

I dont think anyone was claiming GC would have a weak bench really....I just think out of the projected top 4 teams in the area some think GCs bench might be 3rd best out of that group of 4. I agree with you though, I'm more excited about watching Dean play than anything else. Will be interesting to see what he can bring to the team and how it will possibly change the identity.

I know McClung, Ervin, Collier, and Dean will be starting. But who do you think will be the other player in the starting rotation? Grayson Jenkins or another JV player I'm not thinking of?

Im very excited for some basketball. Another poll so to speak.

Top 5 basketball players in swva?

My top 5 are. 1. McClung (GC)2. Ball (RHS) 3. Philips (RHS) 4. Ervin (GC) 5. Mitchell (Union)

Top shooters? Not to sure about this one.

1. Fuller (bluefield) 2. McClung (GC) 3. Herdon (RHS)

Top big man?

I know Richlands has Lowe and he not much of a vertical but you cant move him. Not sure about other schools big men

Im very excited for some basketball. Another poll so to speak.

Top 5 basketball players in swva?

My top 5 are. 1. McClung (GC)2. Ball (RHS) 3. Philips (RHS) 4. Ervin (GC) 5. Mitchell (Union)

Top shooters? Not to sure about this one.

1. Fuller (bluefield) 2. McClung (GC) 3. Herdon (RHS)

Top big man?

I know Richlands has Lowe and he not much of a vertical but you cant move him. Not sure about other schools big men

lol