Looking into the future...

swva_havok_fan

Is the talk next year of doing the playoffs by 8 teams per region still ongoing, has that been confirmed or what, kind of like how 3A East and some of the other classifications do it now?

If so, I was looking at 1A West and 2A West and seeing how things would look next year with this year's teams, if they system being talked about goes into effect.

The former 2A West would look something like this:

Region C, Division 2 Playoffs if system existed in 2016

1 Appomattox vs. 8 Radford
2 Dan River vs. 7 Floyd County
3 Martinsville vs. 6 Giles
4 Glenvar vs. 5 Fort Chiswell

Out of the Playoffs

9 James River
10 Gretna
11 Chatham
12 Buckingham County
13 Nelson County

Region D, Division 2 Playoffs if system existed in 2016

1 Richlands vs. 8 Lebanon
2 Graham vs. 7 John Battle
3 Union vs. 6 Gate City
4 Marion vs. 5 Lee High

Out of the Playoffs

9 Wise Central
10 Virginia High
11 Tazewell
12 Grayson County
13 Ridgeview

The former 1A West would look something like this:

Region C, Division 1 Playoffs if system existed in 2016

1 George Wythe vs. 8 Auburn
2 Galax vs. 7 Bland County
3 Parry McCluer vs. 6 Rural Retreat
4 Narrows vs. 5 Covington

Out of the Playoffs

9 Bath County
10 Eastern Montgomery
11 Craig County

Region D, Division 1 Playoffs if system existed in 2016

1 Hurley vs. 8 Twin Springs
2 Grundy vs. 7 Castlewood
3 Chilhowie vs. 6 Twin Valley
4 Patrick Henry vs. 5 J. I. Burton

Out of the Playoffs

9 Honaker
10 Thomas Walker
11 Eastside
12 Northwood
13 Holston
14 Rye Cove

Note:  Grundy drops to Division 1 next year while Fort Chiswell and Radford move to Division 2.

So, if this system becomes a thing in 2017, does everyone like this format better or the format we have now?  

Positives:  Less travel time guaranteed throughout the first three rounds of the playoffs, until the semifinals.

Negatives:  Almost a certainty you will play someone you've already played in the regular season.  Using Union and Richlands as the example, both teams have four teams in their regional bracket they played in 2016.

Rematches were a common thing under the Regional format.

Powell Valley played at least one rematch during regional play back in the day. I can think of a season, maybe 2 or 3 at the very least when both regional games in the old format were rematches.

1990 when PV played and beat Coeburn and Clintwood in regionals.

1997 were the same rematches.

2001, Powell Valley won the rematch against JJ Kelly even after defeating them regular season. Then they were defeated by Gate City in the rematch a week later after defeating them in regular season.

The majority of the time Powell Valley had at least one rematch. It adds to the atmosphere, especially in a rivalry.

The chance that Union could rematch against Gate City or Richlands? Even a shot against Graham? That's huge.

Region D looks stout next season, especially at the top.  (Like the Region IV of old days).... I like it.

Gate City and Graham used to battle for the Region IV title on a consistent basis.... Having Richlands and Union in the mix and the Region D playoffs will have some epic matchups... if Graham can maintain a high level of play.

Graham needs to get the middle school team on board.  I believe that Graham moved Middle School soccer to fall??  Can anybody verify that??... That may be one reason for low numbers..  I know that there are several soccer players that also play football at GMS.  I heard that they were going to do that last year...and I thought I saw several of them at a football game with their jerseys on...  Or am I way off base... When those kids get to high school, soccer would be in the spring.

There are to many teams in the playoff, granted a 5&5 GATE CITY deserves to be there but the others I am not sure about.The VHSL thought they would rake in the money with the extra games but the travel cost has offset any extra revenue that was gained. In the end we all want the best football played and if it stays the top 8 from each region that's fine.Remember Jonesville was 5-5 at the end of the year and they won out and took the state.

I can't remember who it was, but back when I high school in the 90's, a team out east went winless during the regular season in basketball, but won two district tournament games to advance to the regionals, then won two games in the regionals and boom, they were in the state tournament.  Haysi was in the tournament that yeas as well and I remember seeing it in the program, but just can't remember who it was.

There are to many teams in the playoff, granted a 5&5 GATE CITY deserves to be there but the others I am not sure about.The VHSL thought they would rake in the money with the extra games but the travel cost has offset any extra revenue that was gained. In the end we all want the best football played and if it stays the top 8 from each region that's fine.Remember Jonesville was 5-5 at the end of the year and they won out and took the state.

Lebanon was a part of Region C because they were in the Hogoheegee for years.

Correct.  For those of us who played in the HOGO the regional tournaments were weird.  We were all in Region C but felt like we should have been Region D, 90% (the other 10% GW & RR played Reg. C) of or our non district games were against Region D.  Then if you made the playoffs or regional tournament you rarely had a rematch unless you re-matched with someone in the district.

Thing is, Jonesville was a 4 seed because in Region D only 4 Division 1 teams and 4 Division 2 teams made the playoffs back then. I'd be content with 4 from each region at each level again.

Thing is, Jonesville was a 4 seed because in Region D only 4 Division 1 teams and 4 Division 2 teams made the playoffs back then. I'd be content with 4 from each region at each level again.

I would go with 6 from each region, with the top two seeds getting the opening week bye.  1A East and 4A West sort of do this already now, with only 12 teams making it from those two regions, instead of the customary 16, and the top 4 seeds getting the opening round bye.

I would go with 6 from each region, with the top two seeds getting the opening week bye. 1A East and 4A West sort of do this already now, with only 12 teams making it from those two regions, instead of the customary 16, and the top 4 seeds getting the opening round bye.

I'd prefer just 4....make every game in the regular season a huge deal again. Before the invention of Divs 1&2, there was a time in Class A when only district champs made the playoffs. Once they came up with divisions, Region D Class A went from 3 playoff teams to 8....now its the equilivent of 16 per region if you take into account that the majority of A and AA West were Single A until the realignment. I just think the playoffs are way too watered down.