Looking into the future...

swva_havok_fan

True... but a 9-1 Haysi team had to sit at the house one year because of that, while a 4-6 team made it.

I've always felt that unless you win your district, you really have no gripe if you miss the playoffs. You went into the year back then knowing a district champ got in regardless...so 9-1 or 4-6, you had a chance to get in. That's exactly what I mean by making every game a huge deal again. There were lots of good teams missed the playoffs back then, but I still prefer a system where the playoff teams are the elite teams of the region...not merely good or pretty good.

I like the matchup we have now better.

Guess we are in the minority. lol.

I love what we have now. I know that it is hard on schools with the travel expenses, but it is very exciting to play a team in the first round that you will NEVER see in the regular season. Like Union/Gretna last year.

The teams seeded 13-16 have won very few games, but it is possible. I think it also allows you to schedule difficult games during the regular season that prepare you for the playoffs instead of preventing you from getting in like they did in the old system.

I love what we have now. I know that it is hard on schools with the travel expenses, but it is very exciting to play a team in the first round that you will NEVER see in the regular season. Like Union/Gretna last year.

The teams seeded 13-16 have won very few games, but it is possible. I think it also allows you to schedule difficult games during the regular season that prepare you for the playoffs instead of preventing you from getting in like they did in the old system.

Oh, I do too.  I like the way it is now.  I don't like the same matchups in the playoffs that we've already seen in the regular season.  I would've never seen Buckingham County last year until they came to Richlands.  I would've never seen Glenvar last year until they came to Union.  I would've never got to visit Giles until Ridgeview travelled there last year.  I saw Riverheads in back to back weeks because they came to GW, and then I went to Salem and watched them as well.

A 9-1 Haysi team and the year before a 9-1 Honaker team. I can get on board with 8 instead if 4 because 4 means some of those incredible regular season match ups won't get rematches. In 03 and 04 Haysi and Honaker were really good teams and more than deserving of a playoff spot. I want to see those 1-2 loss teams with chips on their shoulders get their shot

Yea gives teams more chances injuries come in to factor when you dont got a cpl stars untill playoff time. Plus alot of kids dont get the opportunity to play in playoffs its nice for them evem tho they are playing a far Superior team being ths lower seeds.

TN might let too many teams in. Whatever theyre doing, don't do that.

Seriously though, aren't their regional groups small so if they've only got 5 teams in that grouping and 4 are guaranteed a spot some bad teams are going to get in. That's my concern with letting 8 from each region in. 16 per half state negates that to an extent but 8 per region opens the door for some very bad teams to get in.

Still, id rather see too many in than too few. Coming from a small school I can tell you the team really develops as the season goes on. Many of our local A and even many AA schools graduate a 3rd of their starters every year so they aren't playing at a high level early in the year but by the last 2-3 games they're really rolling. I hate to see teams that have come together and are playing great miss a chance at making a playoff run because they had 3-4 guys play poorly in first couple of starts on the varsity level.

TN might let too many teams in. Whatever theyre doing, don't do that.

Seriously though, aren't their regional groups small so if they've only got 5 teams in that grouping and 4 are guaranteed a spot some bad teams are going to get in. That's my concern with letting 8 from each region in. 16 per half state negates that to an extent but 8 per region opens the door for some very bad teams to get in.

Still, id rather see too many in than too few. Coming from a small school I can tell you the team really develops as the season goes on. Many of our local A and even many AA schools graduate a 3rd of their starters every year so they aren't playing at a high level early in the year but by the last 2-3 games they're really rolling. I hate to see teams that have come together and are playing great miss a chance at making a playoff run because they had 3-4 guys play poorly in first couple of starts on the varsity level.

Yeah... Tennessee has the same 32 team format, just 8 regions instead of 4 and 4 teams per region with the exception of 6A, I think, which only has 4 regions.

In Kentucky, Jenkins always makes the playoffs regardless of record also... I think it's because Kentucky only has 16 1A schools...

playoffs should be for teams with winning records, something like the NCAA bowl games.If you don't have enough teams with winning records, then the top team or teams gets a first round bye. THERE IS NO reason a loosing record team to be in the playoff's, the VHSL wants more money to support team sports that don't make any money to support those programs, so they added games in the playoff's.Travel expences have made the playoff games very costly and needed to be changed, so we will see how the regional format works out,yes there will be re-matches but sometimes that's a good thing, I know the loser of Union Richlands,Graham,RICHLANDS game would want another crack at those outcomes

I do like the regional format but I think the best solution is a East/West split with each getting the 8 highest ranked teams according to power points. That way bad teams would not get in and 1(maybe 2) loss teams wouldn't be left out.

Part of the issue with those 9-1 Tiger teams being left out was due to the automatic bid for district champs and Rye Cove being placed in A-D2. They weren't very good and didn't stand a chance at the D2 level, they would have been ok in D1. They took a spot that belonged to a much more deserving team. 

http://wjhl.com/2016/10/31/unaka-football-team-to-forfeit-playoff-game-friday/?utm_content=buffercf8bc&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

For those of you discussing the Tenn. Football Playoffs.  Looks like Unaka is going to forfeit their playoff game.  Can't say I've ever seen that before.

It's happened in basketball district tournaments in Virginia before, notably the Crooked Road Conference tournament a couple of years ago I believe with Hurley or Council girls... but never seen it in football.

You'd think if they forfeited, then the next team below them in the standings could replace them, but whoever that team was must be winless considering Unaka was 1-9.

Part of the issue with those 9-1 Tiger teams being left out was due to the automatic bid for district champs and Rye Cove being placed in A-D2. They weren't very good and didn't stand a chance at the D2 level, they would have been ok in D1. They took a spot that belonged to a much more deserving team. 

I cant remember if RC was D2 two years or they changed the rule and RC only had to be D1 the one year.  Either way, it could have ended much differently for RC if they had been D1 that year.   That said, they had a good showing for themselves in their matchup with the eventual state runners ups when they visited Bullitt Park.

The years were 03 and 04. Honaker missed in 03, Haysi drubbed RC in round 1, very muddy game (tthe Tigers were too big and too strong). In 04 Haysi missed and RC lost to PV, gave them all they wanted for most of the game.

Both RC teams would have faired well in D1, probably regional runner up both seasons.

I think that's right anyway.

The years were 03 and 04. Honaker missed in 03, Haysi drubbed RC in round 1, very muddy game (tthe Tigers were too big and too strong). In 04 Haysi missed and RC lost to PV, gave them all they wanted for most of the game.

Both RC teams would have faired well in D1, probably regional runner up both seasons.

I think that's right anyway.

The 04 team would have made for quite the matchup with Burton.  03 team wasnt bad but 04 team was better as they graduated very few from the year before.  Haysi always gave RC more fits than Honaker in that stretch it seemed as both were on RCs schedule during the late 90s early 00s.  

Some rematches are great but most are awful. I love what we have now due to the matchup. Rarely ever see rematches.